Diesel Fights Back

As it says on the tin, General and off Topic area, talk about anything in here (within reason!)
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Re: Diesel Fights Back

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Big Daddy wrote:London bus companies 'exploit loophole' to run high-emission vehicles to save money... :whistle:
Says the SMMT... The trade association of the folks who stand to gain financially from the supply of new vehicles... :whistle:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Neil Evans wrote:Says the SMMT... The trade association of the folks who stand to gain financially from the supply of new vehicles... :whistle:
Only 20% of new buses comply with Euro 6 because UK has not yet adopted current emission requirements. These vehicles run solely in urban environment covering many miles each day at high fuel consumption. They are a gross source of diesel emissions.

Private cars in UK must meet current Euro emission standards, which is fine :thumbs: But surely it's illogical and immoral to ignore dirty buses :?: Of course, there many be other interests at stake here. I smell a rat :!:
Chairman
Committee Role: Chairman

Post by Chairman »

You smell a rat? I can only smell diesel fumes!! :? :shock:
Mark Bouskill
Chairman
Van and Countryman Registrar
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

... :rol:
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Big Daddy wrote:
Neil Evans wrote:Says the SMMT... The trade association of the folks who stand to gain financially from the supply of new vehicles... :whistle:
Only 20% of new buses comply with Euro 6 because UK has not yet adopted current emission requirements. These vehicles run solely in urban environment covering many miles each day at high fuel consumption. They are a gross source of diesel emissions.

Private cars in UK must meet current Euro emission standards, which is fine :thumbs: But surely it's illogical and immoral to ignore dirty buses :?: Of course, there many be other interests at stake here. I smell a rat :!:
I am reliably informed that the diesel trains that run in and out of the smoke :whistle: have their emission controls removed
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Countryboy wrote:I am reliably informed that the diesel trains that run in and out of the smoke :whistle: have their emission controls removed
Your comment reminded me that in dirty city air, it is possible for a modern car fitted with catalyst to produce lower tailpipe emissions (except CO2) than those being ingested by the engine. So in this case, the car is literally a clean air machine... :thumbs:
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Clean green batteries ? by Viv Forbes

Greens and technically challenged scribes apparently believe that battery-powered cars and planes are exciting new clean “zero-emissions” vehicles.

There is little new about batteries – battery-powered cars were running on British roads over a century ago -- they were pushed out of the market by internal-combustion engines.

Batteries just store energy made elsewhere and all have a finite life. Every battery needs primary energy and resources for production, recharging, replacing, and recycling, and every step produces its own emissions.

Batteries require lots of expensive raw materials -- lead, calcium, nickel, cadmium, lithium, hydrogen, plus ancillary copper, steel, zinc, aluminium, and plastic. All need primary energy like coal or gas for mining, manufacture, construction, recharging, and recycling plus coking coal for smelting metals. Even wind and solar are not emissions-free once construction, maintenance, and life-cycle replacement are fully accounted for.

All cars, even Green ones, need road maintenance using bitumen, concrete, and diesel-powered machinery, all costing money and producing emissions. Green cars also need recharging stations, demanding more metals.

Batteries have an important place in our lives. But they are not “emissions free”.
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

I'm just a little concerned that the nitrous oxide pollution in our cities will be replaced by ammonia polution... :whistle:

Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Very incisive Neil, if a little facetious perhaps.
TILDAS PILOT

Post by TILDAS PILOT »

Bring back horse and carts, you can even recycle what comes out of the back end too. Creating nice healthy fertile soil and the best roses around. :wave:
A30/A35 Club Member 2002-
Lincolnshire Group member March 2002-Dec 2010.
Member of the organizing committee for the 2008 International Rally.
Belvoir Vale Group member(Lincolnshire) 2009-
Member of the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society 2002-
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

Dave Clark wrote:Very incisive Neil, if a little facetious perhaps.
You know me, Dave... :cheers:

That said I don't know the science but ammonia is toxic at the end of the day, and corrosive in solution... though perhaps it will neutralise the acid rain... :thumbs:

gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Westminster Council are apparently going to "trial" 50% higher parking charges for diesel powered vehicles ... nice little earner ... bet that's a trial that runs & runs.

I only ever drove into London for work when I was asked to move something too heavy to carry then the company paid the congestion charge and parking ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Check out the Rasa ... http://www.riversimple.com
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)