Driving Armageddon - A Vision of the Future

As it says on the tin, General and off Topic area, talk about anything in here (within reason!)
Big Daddy

Re: Driving Armageddon - A Vision of the Future

Post by Big Daddy »

My first impression of autonomous vehicles was similar to yours Steve. But as I've learnt more about this subject, my opinion has changed. Our road network is in a terribly inefficient state today and autonomous/driverless cars and trucks may be the only way to overcome this chaos. There are some huge benefits :thumbs:
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Driverless cars trial set for UK motorways in 2019:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39691540

Google driverless cars free to public in Phoenix:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39705053

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Chairman
Committee Role: Chairman

Post by Chairman »

There are certain roads for which driverless cars cannot come soon enough. Here in the south west we saw an unprecedented six people killed in less than a week in four accidents. Four of those in two separate accidents on the same stretch of road 200 yards apart within 24 hours.....A road I travel on frequently. It sent a shudder down my spine......
The road is perfectly safe if treated with respect.....it however has many two lanes merging into one with plenty of advance warning signs. But why do people still barge their way in causing other sensible drivers to have to take avoiding action....the road is a switch back and HGV's and towing vehicles are limited to 50, others can do 60.... On many uphill sections HGV's will be down to 35 if loaded or even slower than that....the road signs and markings don't count for some.....foot down, blast past on the chevrons........oh S*** cannot get past.....and BANG........A computerised vehicle would not take the risk..........
I enjoy my driving, but retirement cannot come soon enough now...
Mark Bouskill
Chairman
Van and Countryman Registrar
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Vino wrote:There are certain roads for which driverless cars cannot come soon enough. >>> I enjoy my driving, but retirement cannot come soon enough now...
:iagree: Driverless cars, trucks and vans offer many big advantages including significant reduction in the cost of motoring. Removing the muppet from behind the wheel must improve safety.

With road conditions and technological capability today, driverless vehicles are the obvious answer. Our grandchildren (or children) under 5 years of age, may never need to learn how to drive.

Bring it on... :thumbs:
exminiman

Post by exminiman »

SteveClem wrote:After a longish trip in the A30 today, and visiting an exceptionally pleasant show, it seems to me that the future users of autonomous cars will be missing so much enjoyment :?
Agreed, but driving through London might be more pleasant.......
Other gating factors are insurance companies, and National grid
Insuring driverless cars may not be straight forward, who is liable when they crash - driver (passenger) or manufacturer ?
Can National grid keep up with supply? Even with new battery storage technolgy
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

exminiman wrote:Insuring driverless cars may not be straight forward, who is liable when they crash - driver (passenger) or manufacturer ?
The Department for Transport will unveil plans for new, two-in-one insurance products for automated vehicles, which cover both the motorist when they are driving and the car when it is in driver-less mode. Under the plans self-driving vehicles will allow drivers to hand full control and responsibility to the car as soon as "driver-less mode" is turned on.

The first driver-less cars are expected to hit Britain's roads in 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... -policies/

exminiman wrote:Can National grid keep up with supply? Even with new battery storage technolgy
Driverless and electric vehicles are entirely independent. Conventional petrol or diesel car can be adapted to driverless, but that's easier with automatic transmission.

(Another 10 full size nuclear power stations would be needed to support a fully electric vehicle fleet so it won't happen. Anyway Michael Gove said no more petrol or diesel cars after 2040 manufacture. He didn't mention alternative fuels such as CNG, LPG, ethanol, etc, which could power hybrids... :whistle: )
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

“The first one is you treat it like a taxi, so you don’t own it at all, you just hail it. The model of ‘I want it when I need it, but I don’t want to pay for it when I don’t’ is very attractive.

The second one would potentially be a leasing or shared ownership system, where a community owns a collection of vehicles that it shares."

Richard Balch
Smart Mobility Europe, Ford

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/1 ... the-future
SteveClem

Post by SteveClem »

Not sure if many people will find that attractive. There's still a big desire to have and 'own' your own car I suspect.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

SteveClem wrote:There's still a big desire to have and 'own' your own car I suspect.
That view is expressed in the article:
“First of all, in the future, we’re going to see more segmentation in the market. There’s a huge share of owned cars, especially in the premium luxury segment; typically those customers don’t like to share their car. This is the clear feedback we got from the market: sharing is not an interesting topic for high-end customers."

But this conservative viewpoint is less strong with younger consumers. Comes down to economics - pay-per-use or car sharing will be much cheaper and more flexible. For these reasons alone, this ownership transition is likely... :whistle:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

:iagree: at least on that latter point. I think that private motoring with each family owing at least one car has had its heyday.

In future it will become prohibitively expensive to own and run a car and I suspect that my grandchildren will look back in amazement when they remember that Grandad was able to drive anywhere at will.

Whether autonomous cars, hybrid or otherwise, will be the norm I have some doubts.

Certainly in metropolitan areas and on some motorways it will come to pass but there will still need to be segregation of piloted and autonomous cars.

Just my (biased) two pennorth.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave Clark wrote:Certainly in metropolitan areas and on some motorways it will come to pass but there will still need to be segregation of piloted and autonomous cars.
Autonomous are running alongside piloted cars already in US, and will be trialled on roads in UK during 2019. But their full benefit cannot be realised while constrained by an environment which involves the human (aka muppet) element.

Dedicated roads for autonomous vehicles from our existing network will overcome that constraint. Manually piloted cars will still exist but their usefulness will be limited, and they will be naturally superseded. You don't take control in a boat, train or plane so why do so in a car :?:

Expect big changes before 2030... :thumbs:

A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Big Daddy wrote:Driverless cars trial set for UK motorways in 2019:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39691540

Google driverless cars free to public in Phoenix:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39705053

is this a driver less police car??
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

with all this hype there is only one answer......

Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

A40FARINAGURU wrote:is this a driver less police car??
So is the policeman blind or just virtual :?:

A40FARINAGURU wrote:with all this hype there is only one answer......
Luddites never win, they just get shafted... :shock:
ostrich.gif
ostrich.gif (91.24 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Global-market-for-autonomous-cars.jpg
Global-market-for-autonomous-cars.jpg (161.15 KiB) Viewed 210 times