Driving Armageddon - A Vision of the Future

As it says on the tin, General and off Topic area, talk about anything in here (within reason!)
Big Daddy

Driving Armageddon - A Vision of the Future

Post by Big Daddy »

Armageddon - Last battle between good and evil before the Day of Judgement

Personal view only based on limited but informed knowledge. Wide range of topics but let's start with:

Autonomous Cars & Trucks
No need to worry about which car you will be driving in future, because soon you won't be. It will be done for you, autonomously. Actual driving will be limited to short distance trips at low speeds before eventually being phased out altogether.

These fully autonomous vehicles will use dedicated lanes on existing motorways and A-roads. Initially they will share space with manually driven vehicles but soon will take over the whole major road network. Manually driven vehicles will be restricted to local roads only.

Well there's some radical thought starters. Wonder if this thread is going to flounder ?

Any comments :?:... :wave:
SteveClem

Re: Driving Armageddon - A Vision of the Future

Post by SteveClem »

So pleased that I will be dead or senile before that happens. :whistle:
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Progress in this direction is rapid. This autonomous scenario is likely by 2025 and certainly by 2030 :whistle:
beko

Post by beko »

I suspect if there is a rapid uptake of electric vehicles this will also be a factor. I don't think they're quite there yet, but another 5 - 8 years .....
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I,m with Steveclem on this - I will be long gone by the time this all happens
Chairman
Committee Role: Chairman

Post by Chairman »

Dave Clark wrote:I,m with Steveclem on this - I will be long gone by the time this all happens
Can I have TMT then please Dave...?
Mark Bouskill
Chairman
Van and Countryman Registrar
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Vino wrote:
Dave Clark wrote:I,m with Steveclem on this - I will be long gone by the time this all happens
Can I have TMT then please Dave...?

You will have to fight me for it Mark !
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

beko wrote:I suspect if there is a rapid uptake of electric vehicles this will also be a factor. I don't think they're quite there yet, but another 5 - 8 years .....
Limited range and high purchase price continue to plague electric cars. Even after many decades of development, only Tesla claim range much beyond 100 miles under light load conditions.

However time is closing fast when only cars permitted in cities will be electric or hybrids in electric mode, where limited range is no longer an issue.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

City Personal Rapid Transit Pods
Masdar City is a zero carbon city being built near Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates *. The plan for this city is to get rid of personal cars and use a PRT system located under the sidewalks for all transportation needs.

* Zero carbon city financed by their enormous oil industry selling internationally... :rol:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Countryboy wrote:You will have to fight me for it Mark !
Thought you didn't like mixing turbochargers with A30/A35s CB... :wave:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Couple of thoughts,
a number of countries (ours included) don't have the resources to fund the current roads, let alone additional ones for autonomous.

I do look forward to the day where a computer-controlled car can deal with the muppet-designed intersections and roading in our country. I'm talking about lanes that run up the back of parked cars, cycle lanes that have been designed by committee, new motorways that join existing ones without any thought as to what happens at the junction and beyond, traffic lights installed "just because we can" etc.
The average kiwi cannot merge, cannot keep a safe distance, cannot keep a constant speed, cannot leave the cellphone alone, cannot possibly let someone into their lane, cannot see they're holding up traffic (not sure about this one - they sure as hell cannot pull over & let faster traffic pass!)
Basicly it's armageddon already!
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Duncan wrote:...a number of countries (ours included) don't have the resources to fund the current roads, let alone additional ones for autonomous.
No investment is necessary. Existing major road network would simply be reassigned and dedicated to autonomous vehicles... :whistle:

Duncan wrote:I do look forward to the day where a computer-controlled car can deal with the muppet-designed intersections and roading in our country...Basicly it's armageddon already!
Muppets are the problem whether in committee or driving. Get rid of the human (muppet) element and all sorts of opportunities become possible... :thumbs:
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Big Daddy wrote:
Duncan wrote:...a number of countries (ours included) don't have the resources to fund the current roads, let alone additional ones for autonomous.
No investment is necessary. Existing major road network would simply be reassigned and dedicated to autonomous vehicles... :whistle:

Duncan wrote:I do look forward to the day where a computer-controlled car can deal with the muppet-designed intersections and roading in our country...Basicly it's armageddon already!
Muppets are the problem whether in committee or driving. Get rid of the human (muppet) element and all sorts of opportunities become possible... :thumbs:
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG (120.33 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

armagedon out of here :D

The future is fine, Marty McFly sorted it out.
Bryan
1957 Austin A35 2 door Deluxe "Thomas"
1958 Austin A35 4 door "Dinky" Highly commended Heap of the show 2013 still surviving despite the owner!
Member of the Southampton and New Forest Group
This is a psychic screen you will believe me to be far more important when you see it
SteveClem

Post by SteveClem »

After a longish trip in the A30 today, and visiting an exceptionally pleasant show, it seems to me that the future users of autonomous cars will be missing so much enjoyment :?