PHOTOBUCKET CHANGES!

As it says on the tin, General and off Topic area, talk about anything in here (within reason!)
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

PHOTOBUCKET CHANGES!

Post by gazza82 »

Because photobucket has changed their business model overnight ... you can no longer host photos with links to them from forums like ours without paying $400 per month ... and that is the person storing a lot of $400s. :shock:

This means many of the photos that were visible here are no longer .... :-(
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Big Daddy

Re: PHOTOBUCKET CHANGES!

Post by Big Daddy »

Importance-of-Business-Ethics Greed.jpg
Importance-of-Business-Ethics Greed.jpg (120.07 KiB) Viewed 12718 times
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

gazza82 wrote:Because photobucket has changed their business model overnight ... you can no longer host photos with links to them from forums like ours without paying $400 per month ... and that is the person storing a lot of $400s. :shock:

This means many of the photos that were visible here are no longer .... :-(
i thought there was something up, any ideas who to use instead?
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

I was going to have a look at imgur ..

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

gazza82 wrote:I was going to have a look at imgur ..
well done 'Taylor' :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

I found an email about this in my junk mail box about a week ago but concluded that it was a phishing scam... :whistle:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

It is possible, with patience, to get into your account and download the albums/images using their "download album" option or individually saving each picture .. luckily for me nothing on photobucket wasn't already saved on my PC or laptop, but I've retrieved my photos and deleted my account!

How long before photobucket is no longer viable .. ???

Club WebEditor.

troutrunner

Post by troutrunner »

I just checked and my photos are still up my thread "Swapping a Zenith for SU Carburettor"

Link. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=707

Not absolutely sure how much I pay but I know it's not a fortune or I wouldn't have paid for it, here is a link to the price plans for Photobucket.
http://photobucket.com/pricing

This shows in the top bit "Plus 20" my plan and my current usage..............
Paul
Member No.A728
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

Ok a test using imgur ..

http://imgur.com/Bxx8Rrt

wonder how long before they start to charge for this too!

Club WebEditor.

Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

gazza82 wrote:It is possible, with patience, to get into your account and download the albums/images using their "download album" option or individually saving each picture ..
From what I've worked out, any photo that hasn't been linked to another website can be saved individually to your hard drive but any that I've linked to this and other sites just bring up the same 'unavailable' picture however I've tried to tackle it...
gazza82 wrote:
How long before photobucket is no longer viable .. ???
How long before this forum is no longer viable because all the useful information no longer has the photos viewable... :whistle:

gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

There is always a way .. granted going back and retrieving the missing photos might not be as simple as we would like .. but we can host our own pictures here. What it may mean is we need a larger disk allocation which as we know costs the club money unless we can find a way to automatically reduce the image size. With many mobiles having such high quality camera, the images can be huge .. and they swallow up disc space very quickly. And this becomes a real problem when a message is "quoted" that has several images .. which are then duplicated, triplicated, quadru .. you get the picture.

Looks like imgur allows a link to the image, but not the same way to embed it and display. To view it you click on the link. So uploading to this site might be the way to go until we find a free "photobucket" look-a-like.

http://imgur.com/Bxx8Rrt

Club WebEditor.

gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

troutrunner wrote:I just checked and my photos are still up my thread "Swapping a Zenith for SU Carburettor"

Link. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=707

Not absolutely sure how much I pay but I know it's not a fortune or I wouldn't have paid for it, here is a link to the price plans for Photobucket.
http://photobucket.com/pricing

This shows in the top bit "Plus 20" my plan and my current usage..............
Even the lower priced options prevent you sharing in the way we have all been used to. What they call "3rd party hosting" .. this allows you to embed a link in the post, which automatically displays an image. They have stopped that unless you pay the full, maximum cost of $399 per annum! :whistle: I would not want to force any member to do that! :bash:

Club WebEditor.

Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

gazza82 wrote:There is always a way ..
Can you talk me through it please?... I have hundreds of educational photos on there that I've linked to over the years that I appear to have lost access to... :whistle:

Nelly

Post by Nelly »

Any photos that we decide to store on a third party service that we don't have control over are potentially going to be lost - definitely seems worth looking into how we can store this valuable data ourselves as a club - as you say gazza, if the upload can get an option to resize automatically then this should be able to greatly reduce the file sizes without too much loss of quality (also, when photos are duplicated in a thread doesn't it just reference an instance of the same file on the server, rather than duplicating it?)

At anyone who is surprised about photobucket changing their business model...offering free storage of x amount of data doesn't sound like a great earner anyway...
Felicity and Sam, Owners of 'Nelly', 1955 Black 4-Door A30
Owner and Club Member Since 2014
Southampton & New Forest Club Member
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

In the short term or possibly longer the simple way is to use Microsoft tools to compress your pictures, simply insert pictures into either Word or PowerPoint and use the compression button on the ribbon, and then resave them. You can get pretty quick at doing this. I can do a quick "how to" using compressed images if people are interested. All mine have been done this way as I've always preferred this to using a third party tool like photobucket. Shared this with Gazza sometime ago as well. :wave: