What I did today....

As it says on the tin, General and off Topic area, talk about anything in here (within reason!)
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Re: What I did today....

Post by gazza82 »

It also says top speed is 130.5 mph (Japanese accuracy for you!)

Hard to believe if red line is 7400 and it's already pulling 92 at 3000rpm (allegedly! :whistle: )
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
OVY871

Post by OVY871 »

Might hit max speed in the gear below? Overdriven gear for cruising ability. I believe the Lotus Carlton actually hit it's top speed in 5th.
Will be taking my daily to the drag strip in a fortnight. Hopefully will see how quick it still is after 100,000 miles and 13 years.

What I did today: Removed the engine for the first time for around 35 years. Fitting a new clutch, clutch release bearing and trying to stop some oil leaks. I already found the cause of one leak.... :oops:
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

OVY871 wrote:Might hit max speed in the gear below? Overdriven gear for cruising ability. I believe the Lotus Carlton actually hit it's top speed in 5th.
Good point. Well when it's a bit more "run-in" and I can brave it out on something private and long enough, or a trip to Germany, I might find out! :?
OVY871 wrote:Will be taking my daily to the drag strip in a fortnight. Hopefully will see how quick it still is after 100,000 miles and 13 years.
Take care. After some laps of Goodwood my Alfa's 14 year old gearbox decided it only wanted to go into one gear .. 1st! :roll:

OVY871 wrote:What I did today: Removed the engine for the first time for around 35 years. Fitting a new clutch, clutch release bearing and trying to stop some oil leaks. I already found the cause of one leak.... :oops:
Sounds ominous .. something cracked? :shock:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

gazza82 wrote:Take care. After some laps of Goodwood my Alfa's 14 year old gearbox decided it only wanted to go into one gear .. 1st! :roll:
... :rol:
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

dad told me he's done a deal on a ex demo Skoda Fabia, he said the 'plate' may be worth something but he said he may keep it for himself, i can't remember it all, it ??16 SXY, he gets worse!!
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
OVY871

Post by OVY871 »

gazza82 wrote:
OVY871 wrote:Might hit max speed in the gear below? Overdriven gear for cruising ability. I believe the Lotus Carlton actually hit it's top speed in 5th.
Good point. Well when it's a bit more "run-in" and I can brave it out on something private and long enough, or a trip to Germany, I might find out! :?
Let me know when and I might join you :D
gazza82 wrote:
OVY871 wrote:Will be taking my daily to the drag strip in a fortnight. Hopefully will see how quick it still is after 100,000 miles and 13 years.
Take care. After some laps of Goodwood my Alfa's 14 year old gearbox decided it only wanted to go into one gear .. 1st! :roll:
That doesn't fill me with confidence...
gazza82 wrote:
OVY871 wrote:What I did today: Removed the engine for the first time for around 35 years. Fitting a new clutch, clutch release bearing and trying to stop some oil leaks. I already found the cause of one leak.... :oops:
Sounds ominous .. something cracked? :shock:
No nothing bad, just embarrassing... the fuel pump was loose so oil was just seeping past. Could have easily checked that with the engine still in.
Still at least I'll be giving it a good bit of TLC and a new clutch, should make driving in traffic so much nicer! :bow:
Neal Welch
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

neil, managed to get my engine and new gearbox back in today. fitted new clutch as well.

tomorrow should see it all back together.
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
OVY871

Post by OVY871 »

Mines only sat on the trolley since removing it. Hoping to get a good start tomorrow and get things looking nicer and fit the new components over the weekend.
Neal Welch
Hoppend

Post by Hoppend »

Whent to British car and lifestyle. Here in the Netherlands and the dutch club has a stand. Here are some pics:

My Austin A30-A35 website: http://www.hoppend.nl
Chairman/webmaster of Dutch Owners club http://www.austinclub.nl
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

looked good Huib :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Ireland 13 / England 9

Well the wheels certainly fell off the chariot today... :roll:

England secured the 2017 Championship last weekend but failed to seize the Grand Slam today. Also Ireland halted England's winning run at a record 18 Tests, leaving them level with New Zealand.

England were simply beaten by a better team. Our Championship celebration tonight must have felt incredibly flat. What a missed opportunity... :(
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Big Daddy wrote:Also Ireland halted England's winning run at a record 18 Tests, leaving them level with New Zealand.
apparently when that happens, you're supposed to say "it's just a game!" and go for a beer anyway. :cheers:

Only thing car-related this week done is I bought some (unused) ARP flywheel bolts. Figure I'll need them sooner or later
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Duncan wrote:apparently when that happens, you're supposed to say "it's just a game!" and go for a beer anyway. :cheers:
Well the beer got consumed last night :cheers: Several cans of Guinness which was unintentionally appropriate in the circumstances.

England's lack of desire yesterday was inexcusable. We will never beat the All Blacks like that... :whistle:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

What a coincidence ! I too watched all three games and a lot of beer seemed to evaporate at the same time.

This morning I made a repair section 18" long for the rear of the sill on the MX5 and got it tack welded into position before lunch (and more beer) called.
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Big Daddy wrote:Ireland 13 / England 9

Well the wheels certainly fell off the chariot today... :roll:

England secured the 2017 Championship last weekend but failed to seize the Grand Slam today. Also Ireland halted England's winning run at a record 18 Tests, leaving them level with New Zealand.

England were simply beaten by a better team. Our Championship celebration tonight must have felt incredibly flat. What a missed opportunity... :(
well done Ireland :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss