What I did today....

As it says on the tin, General and off Topic area, talk about anything in here (within reason!)
Dave Clark

Re: What I did today....

Post by Dave Clark »

Chris, the MG, the Honda S2000 and the supercharged MX5 are all long gone !
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

I liked your MG D.C. its a shame you couldn't have got rid of the plastic 'pig' instead!
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

The dream was not the reality with the MG. Despite fitting an MGB engine, a 5 speed gearbox and disc brakes with a servo it was still a slow old tank and none too comfortable with it. TMT would have blown it into the weeds and was at least as comfortable.

I have realised very late in life that cars are for DRIVING not admiring, hence my preoccupation with trackdays and cars that both handle and accelerate.(well one out of two with TMT aint bad)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Dave Clark wrote:The dream was not the reality with the MG. Despite fitting an MGB engine, a 5 speed gearbox and disc brakes with a servo it was still a slow old tank and none too comfortable with it. TMT would have blown it into the weeds and was at least as comfortable.

I have realised very late in life that cars are for DRIVING not admiring, hence my preoccupation with trackdays and cars that both handle and accelerate.(well one out of two with TMT aint bad)
I kind of agree on this. cars are for driving, yes. I get so much fun out of driving my A30 (more so now I have added further modification). also my german mile muncher. incredible bullet proof cars.

A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Alan wrote:
Dave Clark wrote:The dream was not the reality with the MG. Despite fitting an MGB engine, a 5 speed gearbox and disc brakes with a servo it was still a slow old tank and none too comfortable with it. TMT would have blown it into the weeds and was at least as comfortable.

I kind of agree on this. cars are for driving, yes. I get so much fun out of driving my A30 (more so now I have added further modification). also my german mile muncher. incredible bullet proof cars.
My German mile muncher's are the same, they are called Ford!
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Alan

Post by Alan »

at your age you should know the difference between a budget "dave runabout" and a "precision engineered german machine". if not, then you require education.

Alan

Post by Alan »

I do find it highly comical that you think a "budget English entry level car" can be compared with a "german super power machine".

your supposed to be car enthusiasts. :rol:

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Alan wrote:at your age you should know the difference between a budget "dave runabout" and a "precision engineered german machine". if not, then you require education.
Dave kilometre munching on the autobahn... :mrgreen:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave Clark wrote:I have realised very late in life that cars are for DRIVING not admiring, hence my preoccupation with trackdays and cars that both handle and accelerate.
:iagree: ... :thumbs:
OVY871

Post by OVY871 »

Another one in the driving camp, that's why my car looks rough but gets driven all over.

What did I do today, got the A35 running again this evening after a few months tinkering with the car. Looks like I'll be starting the winter work much sooner next year! Cutting it too close for my liking!
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

loaded the Connect with goodies ready for tomorrow evening :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Last night Wendy and I went for dinner in a tiny Bucks village called Little Missenden, the birthplace of Herbert Austin , founder of the Austin car company.

Somewhat taken aback to find a troupe of MORRIS dancers there !!
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Dave Clark wrote:Last night Wendy and I went for dinner in a tiny Bucks village called Little Missenden, the birthplace of Herbert Austin , founder of the Austin car company.

Somewhat taken aback to find a troupe of MORRIS dancers there !!
David

This rings a bell with me as we even get them in Hampshire!

You May see one over the weekend infiltrating the rally, often caught on CAMRA

If you do, give him some stick ! :cheers:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Just got back from a day at Silverstone. Unfortunately not on the track, but watching some old and new Williams F1 cars at their GP Preview Day ..

The highlight for me .. seeing "Red Five" on the track for the first time since 1992 .. Mansell's winning car!! The last time I saw it was in the Williams Museum at Grove. It has had a full restoration and this was it's first real outing .. Nigel was there, but not in driver's seat .. Karun Chandhok had that privilege as the Williams Heritage Driver.

But as this is Williams' 40th Year in F1 there were a few special guests:

Sir Frank (obviously), Sir Patrick Head, Ron Newey, Nigel Mansell, Keke and Nico Rosberg, Damon Hill, David Coulthard, Mark Webber, Ricardo Patrese, Felipe Massa, Lance Stroll, Paul De Resta, Steve Soper, Jason Plato (I think), Ross Brawn (who started his F1 career at Williams!) and probably many more!!
Williams40.jpg
Williams40.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 224 times
(Pic borrowed from Silerstone's Facebook page .. I wasn't lucky enough to be one the track with my camera ... I was in Abbey stand!)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)