.Images on Forum

As it says on the tin, General and off Topic area, talk about anything in here (within reason!)
Mark

Re: Loading photos

Post by Mark »

Guys, just a quick tip and warning.

If you you use something like photo bucket which is preferred, if you move, delete or rename any of the photos this also effects photos put into posts and the image link is lost.

This happens a lot when members leave or move photos about in their albums.

I've seen lots of well written how to guides get ruined because of broken links to photos.

Here to help.

Mark
WAC_Paul

Post by WAC_Paul »

I agree that's true of what I call the "lesser" photo hosting sites but have never had this happen with flickr.

Being a more serious photographers site it logs the pics differently so you can add them to loads of groups, sets etc without changing the original address. Flickr is a bit harder to use and link from and doesn't make it easy I know. But IMHO the extra effort is worth it in the long run.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for that Paul, i didn't know that. Is Flickr free to use? How much capacity do you get?
Andycars

Post by Andycars »

Hi,

I've read and re-read this thread; it doesn't seem to concur with what I see in Photobucket on my PC. However, after several hours(!!!) this afternoon/evening I've managed to change settings to enable "easy link" in PB. This gave various boxes, incl IMG, below the thumbnails (not there previously). Double-clicking on the IMG box, then copying and pasting its contents into my post (Lightweight fibreglass caravan in For Sale section) gave the results evident there. What am I doing wrong?

Andrew
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Bit old to reply to this but when you click the IMG link in Photobucket now it copies it for you .. then you just paste it back into your post.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
A35revisited

Post by A35revisited »

Our system really does seem ponderous. I don't use online image storage like photo bucket, whatever that is, instead, my images are kept on the laptop.
To post photos on the forum I have to:
Click Upload attachment.
Click Choose file
Select image from my file
Click Add file
Click Place in line
And, in the best tv tradition, in reverse order.

Other forums, Facebook and emails allow basically "click and paste" for images.
If I am missing a trick here I welcome advice. If not, can some consideration be given to simplifying the process as some people must be put off from sharing their experience by the complexity.
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

The forum software is a "Package" so we have to work within it's limitations. Occasionally a new release of the software behind the forum adds new features or changes some but I haven't seen any about the image handling recently to believe it will change soon.

Also every image you upload is stored on the main website server and we pay for a specific amount of disk space. Exceed that and we get charged more .. so it is a bit of a compromise. As we are planing to add new features to the website in 2017 I would rather hold off trying different image limits until we have everything in place, so please bear with us.

The upload feature is very similar on a lot of other car-related forums .. mainly because most use the same software as us!! .. So we are not alone. It gets simpler with practice .. so in true Brucey fashion .. "Keeepppp posting!" (No I don't watch "it"! Had the misfortune to catch the end one day .. think the mother-in-law was visiting ! :( )

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
A35revisited

Post by A35revisited »

Me neither, who's brucey?
Seriously though, fiy, I was, for a time on the figaro forum and that was click and paste.
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

A35revisited wrote:Me neither, who's brucey?
Seriously though, fiy, I was, for a time on the figaro forum and that was click and paste.
I'll add it to my list of things to look into .. early searches on the forum software site haven't been very fruitful .. or suggest that it is a feature yet ..

Club WebEditor.

gazza82
Site Admin

Re: .

Post by gazza82 »

I managed to get back some of the missing photobucket images in this thread. I added ~original after .jpg which seems to circumvent pb's attempt at corporate bribery!!

Now if I can just find a way to go through every post and automatically change the links .... we get our photos back.

Club WebEditor.

A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Re: .

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

gazza82 wrote:I managed to get back some of the missing photobucket images in this thread. I added ~original after .jpg which seems to circumvent pb's attempt at corporate bribery!!

Now if I can just find a way to go through every post and automatically change the links .... we get our photos back.
well done Taylor, sorry but you cannot have a pay rise this year :rol:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
gazza82
Site Admin

Re: .Images on Forum

Post by gazza82 »

Just got Paul's signature image back too .... :thumbs:

Trouble is any percentage rise on nought still equals nought ... :rol:

Club WebEditor.

Nelly

Post by Nelly »

Maybe this is worth looking into for recovering some of our photobucket hosted images and storing them locally:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p14776436

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p14790481

I have also just installed a google chrome extension (exists for other browsers) that works around photobucket and displays the broken links (for now):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aedg?hl=en
Felicity and Sam, Owners of 'Nelly', 1955 Black 4-Door A30
Owner and Club Member Since 2014
Southampton & New Forest Club Member
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

Many thanks! I think we're already looking at those phpBB scripts and I have one from a Peugeot group I subscribe to. It's now getting a chance to try them. They are a bit 'flaky'.

I'll also try the chrome extension ... pb have changed a few more things to stop the work-rounds we found earlier!

Club WebEditor.

Nelly

Post by Nelly »

gazza82 wrote:Many thanks! I think we're already looking at those phpBB scripts and I have one from a Peugeot group I subscribe to. It's now getting a chance to try them. They are a bit 'flaky'.

I'll also try the chrome extension ... pb have changed a few more thinks to stop the work-rounds we found earlier!
:thumbs:

I'm sure photobucket will keep stopping the workarounds whenever they can see where all their bandwidth is going. Hopefully it is viable to host the images on our own server in future to prevent any future issues!

Thank you, and keep up the good work.
Felicity and Sam, Owners of 'Nelly', 1955 Black 4-Door A30
Owner and Club Member Since 2014
Southampton & New Forest Club Member