Rust

As it says on the tin, General and off Topic area, talk about anything in here (within reason!)
kevin 58

Rust

Post by kevin 58 »

Hi All,just been on one of my other sites,found this i hope this is of interest,i am going to try it over the weekend.Go to .[cookies carp corvette tips no1] please let me know what you think?
kev
fergus

Re: Rust

Post by fergus »

Well i've just tried it on some rusty clips - and amazingly it does work. I left them submerged for about 2 hours in (Asda) vinegar and after a quick wipe around with a brush they came out as clean as a whistle. Forget Bilt Hammer and Jenolite this costs nothing and does the business. Oddly the rust stays attached till the bits are taken out and washed in water but it then just falls away. I'd recommend anyone to try this.
kevin 58

Post by kevin 58 »

Thanks for that furgus,i was going to try it over weekend.I have also seen rust removal using electrolosis but i think it is a lot of faffing about,glad to know vinigar works,trouble is havent found a big enough bath to put whole car in hehe kev
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Molasses works well too apparently
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
kevin 58

Post by kevin 58 »

Hi Neil,as far as i know you use mollasus diluted whith water in electrolosis,you can also use baking soda as well.You have to have a 12 volt supply,SSteel earth,with a copper possative,ive heard that it can be dangerous because of the fumes that it gives off during the prosses,at least with vinigar, as far as i know there is no danger just pongs a bit.kev
Alan Lee

Post by Alan Lee »

Great Tip thanks. Will definitely use this.
Alan
1954 GS4 A40 - 'Ollie' (A40 Somerset)
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Get hold of some phosphoric acid, the main ingredient in a lot of commercial rust eater/killers. Its fantastic stuff, just don't get any on your clothes and wear gloves. It is used for amongst other things cleaning floor tiles, can be bought in 5litre containers made by Debs for £20.
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

The molasses solution works without electrolosis. There are apparently issues with smell as the solution ferments but I understand that it is far more potent once this process is complete.

Some details here:-

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthre ... t=molasses

Other useful threads on the alternative methods of rust removal here:-

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/search.p ... id=1412788

Consensus is not to use stainless steel as an electrode in the electrolisis method. It produces a chromium residue which is both harmful to the user and difficult to dispose of legally.

Check out the rest of the site also, there's lots of useful restoration techniques on there.
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
earthhist

Post by earthhist »

tavistock wrote:Get hold of some phosphoric acid, the main ingredient in a lot of commercial rust eater/killers. Its fantastic stuff, just don't get any on your clothes and wear gloves. It is used for amongst other things cleaning floor tiles, can be bought in 5litre containers made by Debs for £20.
Phosphoric acid does not do quite the same job as acetic acid (vinegar). Vinegar allows the rust to be removed, but phosphoric acid converts the rust into an insoluble form, which isn't readily removable.
Richard Johnston, Plymtree Devon, formerly A30/A35 Club Technical Officer and President
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Just raising this one again

Ive used Bilt Amber before and it works great it drys and has the appearance of a dark finish and could be painted

I bought some phosphoric acid to use on some rusty steel work not vehicle related but the next day it was not dry but appeared like a greasy coating? Should this be dry?

Thanks

John G
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I would have thought that you would need to wash the acid off John, then dry and paint, using a suitable undercoat. :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Tight Yorkshireman

David Swain wrote:I would have thought that you would need to wash the acid off John, then dry and paint, using a suitable undercoat. :thumbs:
Thanks David

I thought it was like the Bilt Amber "apply and go"!

John G 8)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

No the Bilt and Hamber Hydrate 80 is non acidic, and as you know dries leaving a protective paintable surface. The acid once it has cleaned the surface would need to be removed/ neutralised, else it will keep attacking anything you put over it. Once cleaned I would use either Bilt and Hamber hydrate 80 as an undercoat, or a high Zinc undercoat primer. :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Tight Yorkshireman

David Swain wrote:No the Bilt and Hamber Hydrate 80 is non acidic, and as you know dries leaving a protective paintable surface. The acid once it has cleaned the surface would need to be removed/ neutralised, else it will keep attacking anything you put over it. Once cleaned I would use either Bilt and Hamber hydrate 80 as an undercoat, or a high Zinc undercoat primer. :thumbs:

Oh! :shock:

Thanks David

John G 8)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Just to be pedantic Hydrate 80 contains a weak organic acid.

I am a big fan of this stuff - and the Deox C rust removal solution.