A35 rear seat backrest / parcel shelf

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Mark Higgitt

A35 rear seat backrest / parcel shelf

Post by Mark Higgitt »

I'm poised to fire the starting pistol on the retrim of YDV 624.
Before I do so, can I ask whether there's a purpose in the backrest and parcel shelf being combined in one unit, or whether it makes more sense to separate the two?
I appreciate that the combined unit has the effect of securing the backrest to the car via the parcel shelf screws, but I don't want to miss the opportunity to make life easier, if it's the right thing (that is, not the wrong thing) to do.
Regards,

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
Warks
1958 (long since Court Grey, no longer bare metal, now Speedwell Blue, and tantalisingly close to moving under its own steam for the first time in more than a decade) A35 YDV 624
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Re: A35 rear seat backrest / parcel shelf

Post by Neil Evans »

How else would you secure and, more importantly, tension it...
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Mark Higgitt

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Thanks, Neil. I'm a newcomer to this part of the rebuild and found the back seat / parcel shelf unit incredibly hard to remove, hence what seemed to me to be a reasonable question. Certainly don't want to damage the new paintwork putting it back in.
I remember cars from my early days of driving where the back seat rest simply lifted out.
I'll consider myself ever so slightly ticked off! :D

Mark
1958 (long since Court Grey, no longer bare metal, now Speedwell Blue, and tantalisingly close to moving under its own steam for the first time in more than a decade) A35 YDV 624
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Ah... They go in slightly easier than they come out. One end of the shelf has to go in first... I tape up the paint that might get damaged with masking tape. Do the same when fitting the headlining frame... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Mark Higgitt

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Thanks again, Neil.
The avoidance of scuffed or scratched paint has been a concern since the old stuff was removed.
I've long since formed the view that putting it all back together will be harder than taking it apart.
Onward and upward!

Mark