This is an A35 -right?

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Longbranch

This is an A35 -right?

Post by Longbranch »

It says 1963. ( and A30) I'm thinking no on that one since I know saloons were only made til 1959. Unless it was registered in 1963.

ImageImageImageImage

It's a LOT of money for what it is- $6000 USD. No tail lights, brake lights, moldy interior...no idea if it even runs or what the underside is like. No outer door handles and a big crease down the side
pick up phil

Re: This is an A35 -right?

Post by pick up phil »

It's definitely an A35. Last built 1959.
Price seems a lot for what condition it appears to be in.
Phil Harrison
El Presidente' 2013 - 2016 (Now Retired)
Membership Secretary - Retired
Archivist in the dim and distant past - Retired
Chair or 2009 / 2015 Nat Rally Comm
Sunny Rotherham!!
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

Am I right in thinking your in the US? Thing is, if you want an A35 you don't have much to choose from. Go on condition of bodywork.

Is the MK1 cortina for sale?
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If that's an A30, then someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble to fit A35 parts to it...
I've seen an A30 with an A35 rear window so it can be done however.
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Definitely an A35 although it looks like it has an A40 farina speedometer. Is the car in Kansas (it has a Kansas plate)?
I couldn't open the pics on my pc but can on my phone. Any pictures on the engine bay?
Longbranch

Post by Longbranch »

Paulc wrote:Definitely an A35 although it looks like it has an A40 farina speedometer. Is the car in Kansas (it has a Kansas plate)?
I couldn't open the pics on my pc but can on my phone. Any pictures on the engine bay?
Yup it's in Kansas. It's in poor shape for $6k.

No pics of the engine.

I think it's a pass at that price. Even though I don't see them very often. There's a better Austin Cambridge A55 Mk2 for half that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longbranch

Post by Longbranch »

Alan wrote:Am I right in thinking your in the US? Thing is, if you want an A35 you don't have much to choose from. Go on condition of bodywork.

Is the MK1 cortina for sale?
Yes. I'm in the US.

That's an Imp. I didn't see any Cortinas listed.

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Longbranch wrote:That's an Imp. I didn't see any Cortinas listed.
What's the (estate ?) car on RHS of A35 behind the chairs in bottom photo :?: ... :wave:
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Paulc wrote:Definitely an A35 although it looks like it has an A40 farina speedometer.
Yes it is a MK1 A40 Farina speedo & it is a A35 :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Longbranch

Post by Longbranch »

Big Daddy wrote:
Longbranch wrote:That's an Imp. I didn't see any Cortinas listed.
What's the (estate ?) car on RHS of A35 behind the chairs in bottom photo :?: ... :wave:
Here's the link to the cars.

Maybe easier.

http://barnfinds.com/exclusive-massive- ... t=morelink

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Longbranch wrote:Here's the link to the cars. Maybe easier.
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

' I immediately picked out a few favorites: a 1958 Fiat 1100 and a 1954 Austin A30 two-door! Also a 1970 Toyota Crown with a factory 4-speed and factory AC was pretty amazing and unusual. Not to mention a nice Honda Z50 Mini-Trail that needed a restoration, but it would have fit nicely into the back of the Outback.'

By what He says in the quote above, taken from His website. It sounds like the price is based on the Austin being an extremely rare Austin A30 two-door! And not an Austin A35 two door. If you let Him know what He actually has, He may well drop the price somewhat.

From the photos, it looks pretty sound body wise.
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Longbranch

This is an A35 -right?

Post by Longbranch »

David Swain wrote:' I immediately picked out a few favorites: a 1958 Fiat 1100 and a 1954 Austin A30 two-door! Also a 1970 Toyota Crown with a factory 4-speed and factory AC was pretty amazing and unusual. Not to mention a nice Honda Z50 Mini-Trail that needed a restoration, but it would have fit nicely into the back of the Outback.'

By what He says in the quote above, taken from His website. It sounds like the price is based on the Austin being an extremely rare Austin A30 two-door! And not an Austin A35 two door. If you let Him know what He actually has, He may well drop the price somewhat.

From the photos, it looks pretty sound body wise.
Did I miss another A30/35 somewhere in the photos? I just see this one with the moldy interior...

I talked to the owner who knows very little of the cars he owns.

He said he'll work on the prices with me...if I take both the A55 and A35.

It may seem very obvious to all of you...but I've never even seen an A30/35 in person. And I've been to a LOT of British car shows....

Is this car a 2 door A35? Or is it just missing handles?

Thanks to all

Brock.
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Brock,
The black car is an A35 2 door (not particularly unusual) and an A55 farina (also not that unusual!). The basic external differences between the A30 and the A35 is the A30 saloon had trafficators and the A35 indicators, the A30 has a kidney shaped rear window and a chrome grill, the A35 large rear window and painted grill. Both the A30 and A35 were available in 2 and 4 door models. 100,000 2 door A35s were made, so they aren't that rare.

I wouldn't have thought the demand for either cars in the USA isn't that great compared to other cars in that collection. You should factor in the cost of recommissioning and transportation of the cars if you make an offer. In the condition as shown in the photo the A35 is perhaps worth £500-£750. Looking at the pricing in your link I can't believe the Borgward and Rover 75 is valued the same/less than the A35!!
Longbranch

Post by Longbranch »

Paulc wrote:Brock,
The black car is an A35 2 door (not particularly unusual) and an A55 farina (also not that unusual!). The basic external differences between the A30 and the A35 is the A30 saloon had trafficators and the A35 indicators, the A30 has a kidney shaped rear window and a chrome grill, the A35 large rear window and painted grill. Both the A30 and A35 were available in 2 and 4 door models. 100,000 2 door A35s were made, so they aren't that rare.

I wouldn't have thought the demand for either cars in the USA isn't that great compared to other cars in that collection. You should factor in the cost of recommissioning and transportation of the cars if you make an offer. In the condition as shown in the photo the A35 is perhaps worth £500-£750. Looking at the pricing in your link I can't believe the Borgward and Rover 75 is valued the same/less than the A35!!

Paulc:

Thanks for the detailed info. A55's I know pretty well as I have one now. And have had a couple more in the past. But like I said it may be strange to hear but I've never seen an A30/35 in person. The A55 MKII is highly unusual in the US as is the A30/35.

The A35 is (maybe) better known only because of racing at Goodwood. And therein lies the difference. If I asked guys at a "regular" weekly car show if they've even heard of a Borgward the answer would be no. Rover 75...probably not. They would know Land Rover certainly but not that Rover even made cars.

I'm talking about a regular car show mind...when I tell people that my Cambridge is an Austin almost 100% response is Aston Martin? The perplexed look I get when I say " No- that's A-ston.... This is Aww-stin".

Oh Austin Healey!? Is the other response I get. Most have no idea that such the company Austin even existed.

The vast majority would look down their noses from their Mustangs, Chevelle's and Novas and say- " That's foreign carp"....

Im in Detroit after all...its to be expected.

Brock