A35 front brakes Midget disc conversion

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Mark Higgitt

A35 front brakes Midget disc conversion

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Another Saturday, another question.
It's time to plan Operation Front Brake Conversion, and knuckle down to it. One of those jobs you're only ever likely to do once (I hope).
First thought is whether the kit can / should be assembled off the car and fitted as one unit, or whether the components must be assembled, item by item, on the vehicle.
I've looked for as much advice as I can across the forum. Can anyone suggest a reliable guide for a novice with a growing readiness to push his boundaries?
All thoughts gratefully received!

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
1958 (long since Court Grey, no longer bare metal, now Speedwell Blue, and tantalisingly close to moving under its own steam for the first time in more than a decade) A35 YDV 624
TFW

Re: A35 front brakes Midget disc conversion

Post by TFW »

Hi Mark
Have you had a look at Matthews post (quite a way down the first page entitled "NSJ 831 - Nellies Front Brake and Suspension Overhaul") Been the first time we have done this there will no doubt be a few people who wont agree with this way but may be worth a look at.
We put our calipers to the rear and built it on the car stage by stage, found this a lot easier and we know only have the pipe work to sort.
Tim.
Spares Co-ordinator
1957, 2 Door, Tweed Grey, A35 - "Trevor" - 2704U
Mark Higgitt

Re: A35 front brakes Midget disc conversion

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Thanks, Tim. I'll give that a look and let you know how I go.

Mark
1958 (long since Court Grey, no longer bare metal, now Speedwell Blue, and tantalisingly close to moving under its own steam for the first time in more than a decade) A35 YDV 624