Rear hub seals and bearings

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
robinhayes25

Rear hub seals and bearings

Post by robinhayes25 »

I am in the process of renewing the rear hub seals and bearings on my 1957 A35.
I am running into a few problems. I am having to use a 48mm socket to remove and replace the hub nut. It's not doing the nut a lot of good. ( I live in SW France and simply can't source a 47mm socket).
I have pressed in the new seal and bearing on the right hand wheel in my vice.
The bearing fits flush when I have pressed it in using a vice, but when I try to mount the hub onto the car as it slides onto the shaft the bearing becomes proud of the hub by about an eigth of an inch and will not reset to being flush with the surface of the hub.
What am I doing wrong ? Also, is there a torque setting for the hub nut ?

Robin
Countryboy

Re: Rear hub seals and bearings

Post by Countryboy »

robinhayes25 wrote:I am in the process of renewing the rear hub seals and bearings on my 1957 A35.
I am running into a few problems. I am having to use a 48mm socket to remove and replace the hub nut. It's not doing the nut a lot of good. ( I live in SW France and simply can't source a 47mm socket).
I have pressed in the new seal and bearing on the right hand wheel in my vice.
The bearing fits flush when I have pressed it in using a vice, but when I try to mount the hub onto the car as it slides onto the shaft the bearing becomes proud of the hub by about an eigth of an inch and will not reset to being flush with the surface of the hub.

Robin
My memory is terrible I'm afraid Robin but I can remember borrowing a specially made spanner for this job. I did manage to remove some nuts from scrap axles quite easily with a chisel . The nuts undid with minimal damage. Are the torque settings not in the Workshop repair manual?
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

robinhayes25 wrote: The bearing fits flush when I have pressed it in using a vice, but when I try to mount the hub onto the car as it slides onto the shaft the bearing becomes proud of the hub by about an eigth of an inch and will not reset to being flush with the surface of the hub.

Robin
The bearings are loose in the hubs due to wear, or possibly due to them being manufactured slightly undersize... Sometimes a problem with cheap Chinese bearings... Locktite Bearing Fit will sometimes fix it, though it won't fix poor quality bearings...

The manual gives no torque setting for the rear hub nuts. Just do them up tight... :whistle:

There's a PDF copy of the workshop manual in the member's area of the website if you haven't got one... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

As Neil says, but if you strip the thread on the end of the axle that means a replacement axle !
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Manual: Link removed as it's copyright material. The manual is available in the Members Area of the forum...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
robinhayes25

Post by robinhayes25 »

Thanks gents for all your replies.
I have now purchased a 47m socket via ebay (arrived today).
will try it in the next few days.
BTW I tried to refit the original bearing (which was flush originally) and again as soon as I tried to fit the hub to the car, again it became proud by about an eigth of an inch.