AFO 723-Speedo works-up & down the box one last time.

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Chairman
Committee Role: Chairman

Re: AFO 723-Trying to start wiring query ?

Post by Chairman »

Amazed at such a basket case being revived, most would have left this one to its fate.
I salute you for having the vision to save it :bow: , plus you had the skill to do so which helps.........should give inspiration to many others with projects which are no where as bad as this, myself and mine included.
Mark Bouskill
Chairman
Van and Countryman Registrar
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

:iagree: what a great job you have done, I look forward to hopefully seeing it one day. :clapping:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Fitz

Post by Fitz »

Thanks Gazza 82 for the coil instructions.
Thanks Chairman and David Swain for the kind words. (We're off to Goodwood revival in it hopefully and may do a bit tour about that week so seeing it may be something that is possible. I did hope to make the National but it's been too much plus I have golf on the Saturday and a motorcycle enduro on the Sunday at Lake Windermere which doesn't come round every weekend).

WELL what a weekend.
When I got AFO it was manhandled onto the trailer and when we stopped at the services on the way back, whilst waiting on the then and current gf to return from the loo I thought I would see how seized solid it was except it wasn't....

This was over two years ago and I tried to get a spark out of it then by nail filing the points clean but I gave up.
My plans are for a modern engine (more on that in the next few weeks hopefully) but having provisionally sold the bits I'm not using I wanted to see what the engine was like, to try the unthinkable and try and fire it up. I thought it may run but I fully expected the valves that were lying open to not seat.

Knowing that it was turning over with a rythmatic consistency my hopes were buoyant of at least some sort of tune but I wasn't overly hopeful of success. However there was compression on all 4 and no knocking or banging so on I ventured.

I can only work on it 3 days a week as I work away the other 4 so on Tuesday eve I hurriedly tried to figure out what points were on it and ordered a cheap set off ebay consisting of a 2 points/condensers, a cap and a rotor arm for less than £10 delivered by Friday.
I had issues with not enough adjustment on the points so I managed to bend the metal strap on the plastic part, they wouldn't fit over the stud so I had to drill them out a touch and the plastic bitty where the coil connection went on sat about 10mm too high. Maybe they were the wrong points, I've no idea but I managed to get them to fit and set.

I was rewarded with 4 sparking plugs.

When I was organised I used to have a diesel priming pump that would pump/prime fuel but I've no idea where this is now so I managed to get a bit vacuum hose on what was left of the metal pipe going to the fuel pump (about 30mm) and this went into a 500ml coke bottle I jammed behind the brake pipe as a fuel source.

I've no idea how long it was since it ran- I do know it was off the road since 67 but I suspect it's ran since then but I'm guessing maybe not for 30 years. Maybe longer. I wish it would tell me.

With the plugs out it was getting on a bit now but I thought I need to see if it would pump fuel so disconnecting the metal pipe at the carb and cranked it over-after about 5 seconds the pump was pumping fuel up to the carb. I was completely speechless at this point. I never thought it would do this. I just assumed the rubber would have perished especially looking at what was left of the fan belt.

So now with fuel going to the carb I connected the fuel line up again and cranked it over to fill the carb. There were no leaks but I couldn't smell any fuel and I did say to Rae (the gf) I expect the carb will need to come off to get unblocked but we're running out of time so I'll just have a go and see what happens.

We ventured on with a bit carb cleaner down its throat, not a lot as I was running out as I had to use it on the lawnmower earlier but it was catching on two.

I tried maybe about 6 times till the starter does that thing where it stops turning it so I said to Rae that it was trying but to stop filming till it goes.

Well I was left speechless as I left it for 30 seconds then tried again (shorting out the solenoid with a socket) and then it caught on three, then four. I revved it up a bit to try and clear it and then thought I would let it cut out except it didn't, it returned to an idle. This was the second time in half an hour I was lost for words.

In the video it sounds quite 'bangy' except it isn't. There is only a downpipe stopping before the gearbox and the air filter is loose on the carb but the mobile phone seems to make it sound different.
I've had it running a bit more since the video at the end of the post but I am beyond surprised at this.

The engine is as sweet as a nut but when I looked into the rocker cover at the valve gear it does seem quite clean and probably reflects the 44k or whatever it is showing. I'll know if this is accurate when I try the gearbox next weekend and see if the speedometer still works.

The plan now is to test the gearbox next weekend by running it up in the gears.
Someone at some point has removed the water drain at the rear which has probably saved it (I found a fitting to block it up) and with a new bypass hose I've got it holding water although the radiator is wet.
This is just silly.

Part of me thinks that this is the van giving me something back for and I don't like using the word 'saving' but I can't think of anything else.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Duncan

Re: AFO 723-Running sweetly after who only knows how many ye

Post by Duncan »

Result!
Fitz

Re: AFO 723-Speedo works-up & down the box one last time.

Post by Fitz »

I've sold the engine & box to another club member but I wanted to check the gearbox by running it up and down the gears before taking it all out.
I took the fan belt off my Morris Minor engine, took the radiator out then back in to fit the bypass hose, pulled the half shafts out and ran it up & down a few times.

No dramas, clutch worked as it should & synchro also after a couple of up & downs both on the up and downshift. Checked reverse. All ok.
Phoned club to discuss a price, removed unit & currently is residing in my 216k V70 d5 at Manchester airport as I sit here in Sardinia.
Drop off on Sat.

Interestingly the speedometer still works so I reckon the 47k is genuine.
Engine out & with ka engine next to it.
Have figured out conversion in my head so let's see what next weekend bring when we try to couple them.

Fitz

AFO 723-So much work and never ending (sigh).

Post by Fitz »

The photobucket saga will get my attention when I muster the enthusiasm to do so.
Making lots of progress as it's all in etc but it's just the fabrication of everything that takes the time.
Was hoping to take it to Goodwood but missed that deadline however I must keep going and not take my foot off the gas as they say.

Interesting in that looking at other restorations this morning it seems that my attitude to seam welding everything will indeed produce a 'tank' whereas other resto's are only welding in spots and leaving a gap.
Woe betide anyone who dares run into it I guess.

Got some funky rear lights for it although I'm not too keen on the shape of the rear glass and might look at something more 'domed'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-RE ... 2749.l2649