YDV 624: Midget bearings... which way round?

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Mark Higgitt

YDV 624: Midget bearings... which way round?

Post by Mark Higgitt »

I've bought bearing kits from MGB Hive for Austin the Austin's Midget front brake conversion.
This weekend's big task. Big for me, anyway!
Both the inner and outer bearings have a part number stamped on one side, so I'm naturally keen to know which way round they face.
The Midget manual refers to the possibility that 'thrust' marks will exist, thus allowing me to make the right move. No such marks on mine.
The image in the manual isn't distinct enough either, to my inexperienced eyes, to allow me to make a confident decision.
In fairness to MGBH, I haven't given them a huge amount of time, so far, to answer the same question.
While I'm perusing the forum, I thought I'd start a race to see who comes up with the key facts first.
On your marks....

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
1958 (long since Court Grey, no longer bare metal, now Speedwell Blue, and tantalisingly close to moving under its own steam for the first time in more than a decade) A35 YDV 624
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Re: YDV 624: Midget bearings... which way round?

Post by Alan »

ive asked this question for a long time. nobody has ever given a simple answer.
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Had to look it up when I did mine, and cannot remember how at the moment. There is a chamfer on the inner of one side of the bearing which matches the radius of the axle, and there are faces on the bearings which match with the spacer. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Alan wrote:ive asked this question for a long time. nobody has ever given a simple answer.
Exactly the same answer that I gave you back in june 2011... :thumbs:
Neil Evans wrote:
Bearings

Closely examine the new bearings. The new bearings must be fitted with the thrust face to the inside. To establish this, look at the pictures below.

The thrust side is identified by having a thicker outer race on it’s face, as above.

You can see outer ring of this face is a narrower, so goes to the outside.

Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Mark Higgitt

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Thanks to all of you, guys.
That'll give me a head start on Saturday.
Regards,

Mark
1958 (long since Court Grey, no longer bare metal, now Speedwell Blue, and tantalisingly close to moving under its own steam for the first time in more than a decade) A35 YDV 624
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

my bearing didn't look anything like those neil!

I did trial and error on the above advice and I guess it was a 50/50 guess and I got it right back then.
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

Basically, Alan, it's a case of studying the bearings to work out which way they were assembled and install them so that the hub nut holds them together... :thumbs:

Mark Higgitt

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Naive though I'm sure it is, it feels sensible to ask a follow-up question on this thread, if only on the off-chance that someone else who's as green behind the ears as me will come across this, desperate for guidance, at a similar point in their own future restoration.
The hubs and discs were married this morning, and the backplates went on easily enough.
Before the former were boxed up ready for the bearings to be pressed home at a different workshop, I slid a seal and inner bearing (right way round, thanks guys) on to one stub axle to judge how snug it is at this stage, and to attempt to gauge how much of a final clean of the axle will be required.
To my inexperienced eyes, I could have been fooled into thinking the assembled hub / bearings caboodle were never meant to come together. Clearly they were.
Setting ignorance aside, how much brute strength will I need to use in order to position the assembly on the stub axle securely? And what is the preferred tool for driving it into position?
If anyone has a word of caution and / or advice to offer on any of the steps to come, I'd be as grateful as always to hear it.
Regards,

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

I hope others will correct me if I'm wrong here

The hub and bearings should be an interference fit to a clean stub axle
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I seem to remember cleaning one stub axle a little with some fine emery cloth so the bearing could push on, and forgetting to do this with the other side, which made pushing the bearing on more difficult. Both stub axles were very clean and shiny before assembly, everything was fitted together by hand with a little persuasion here and there (With a rawhide mallet) directly onto the stub axles.
I may have misunderstood your post, but I would have thought it would be a little difficult fitting the bearings to the hub off the stub axle as you have the spacer between the bearings, or are you just having the inner bearing fitted first? Or maybe using a rod to hold the spacer in position until final assembly? Or is my memory failing me, as I do not have a car or manual in front of me. Three hours of Peppa pig and Ben and Holly can affect ones mind....... :lol:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

Countryboy wrote:I hope others will correct me if I'm wrong here

The hub and bearings should be an interference fit to a clean stub axle
Wrong... Interference fit is far too tight... :thumbs: