YDV 624: Midget front disc conversion

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Mark Higgitt

YDV 624: Midget front disc conversion

Post by Mark Higgitt »

The start of a new thread, rather than stretching an old one into the distance.
I've spent the past few weeks mulling over the next steps in Austin the Austin's front brake conversion.
The issue is the backplate supplied by MGB Hive.
With a little tin-snip surgery to the nearside example, it now sits flush to the stub axle, such that the set screw secures it in place and the fixing brackets register with the bolt holes to the rear of the stub axle, awaiting the caliper and then the disc-hub combo to be slotted into place.
My anxiety is this. With the front end in the air and no weight on the springs, applying full right lock causes the head of the 3/8 bolt (which tightens the damper lever arm to the trunnion assembly) to brush the top of the back-plate and nudge it slightly in an outwards direction, towards where the disc will eventually be.
At the same time, without the caliper in position, the bottom backplate looks worryingly close to the pan.
I'm going to trial fit the caliper on my next workshop visit, to see whether that makes any difference.
Can I expect those worries to evaporate, once the wheels are on the car and the engine's back in?
Or do I need to do something else, before the hub goes back on?
If you recognise the anxiety, and have calming words to offer, I'd be delighted to hear.
Thanks!

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
1958 (long since Court Grey, no longer bare metal, now Speedwell Blue, and tantalisingly close to moving under its own steam for the first time in more than a decade) A35 YDV 624
Big Daddy

Re: YDV 624: Midget front disc conversion

Post by Big Daddy »

The're just standard Midget brake parts which should assemble without fouls... :whistle:

But those backplates are only dust shields which are far from necessary. Without them, brake cooling, fade performance and caliper bolt retention are improved. Minor disadvantage could be slightly accelerated wear of inner brake pads.

Racing A35s don't have backplates fitted... :thumbs:
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Mark,

Have a loom in the Advanced Technical section of the Members'area on here. There might be some more info but I have seen back plates with a bit of extra trimming ...

Also you are using the A35 steering arms and not the Spridget ones? They are the wrong shape.

Most of the members are enjoying the Rally this weekend so it might be a bit quiet on here until Monday or Tuesday.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Page 14 of recommission of the Rev shows photos of how much you need to remove from the dust covers, if you are fitting calipers to The front. :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:Page 14 of recommission of the Rev shows photos of how much you need to remove from the dust covers, if you are fitting calipers to The front. :thumbs:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7316&hilit=recommission&start=195

I live and learn but disc backplates still compromise ultimate brake performance, so I discard them. Depends how you drive... :whistle:
Mark Higgitt

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Thanks to you all!
David, 10 minutes going through your old posting has helped immensely.
Gazza, the steering arms are the originals. I've not come across advice before that suggests replacing them with Spridget equivalents. What are the differences and, presumably, the benefits?
Enjoy the gathering, by the way!
Regards,

Mark

Mark Higgitt
Alcester
1958 (long since Court Grey, no longer bare metal, now Speedwell Blue, and tantalisingly close to moving under its own steam for the first time in more than a decade) A35 YDV 624
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

I probably wasn't clear DO NOT use the Midget steering arms .. use the originals.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Mark Higgitt

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Thanks for the clarification, Gazza!
That explains why no one had mentioned it before.

Mark
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

gazza82 wrote:I probably wasn't clear DO NOT use the Midget steering arms .. use the originals.
Use the original A35 or A30 steering arms, not Midget ones. :thumbs:

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:Use the original A35 or A30 steering arms, not Midget ones. :thumbs:

:iagree: Midget steering arms would make life interesting... :shock:
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Big Daddy wrote: :iagree: Midget steering arms would make life interesting... :shock:
I once had someone phone the helpline who had fitted the upper trunnions the wrong way round as well as using the Midget Steering arms. Took a while getting that one sorted... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

:iagree: Probably me! :oops:
With Gem, I fitted the trunnions the wrong way round initially, and probably tried to fit the Midget steering arms as well, She did look weird! I had cleaned and painted the Midget arms all nice, and then had to do the same with the old A35 ones :roll: Someone got an eBay bargain though,pair of refurbed Midget steering arms for £1.50. :thumbs:

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If you want weird steering arms on an A30, you can't go past a set of Morris 1100 ones... :whistle:
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

David Swain wrote::iagree: Probably me! :oops:
:thumbs: I tried to spare you the embarrassment... :rol:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Mark Higgitt

Post by Mark Higgitt »

Afternoon, all.
A landmark weekend for Austin the Austin, as it marked the point where all four wheels are back on after 18 month-plus on axle stands.
Two quick questions, if I may.
I've left the brake pads (MGB HIve-sourced with the disc conversion kit) out because one pad on each side of the car was too tight a squeeze for my liking... as in the disc wouldn't spin freely.
The caliper pistons are neatly tucked out of the way, so I'm hoping for advice as to a reliable alternative source of pads, or a suggestion as to what might be done to accommodate the existing ones. Emery cloth and patience, in other words.
Secondly, do I need to modify the brake cylinder at all? If so, what mod?
Thanks in anticipation,

Mark

Mark Higgitt
Alcester