engine bay color schemes

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Husky

engine bay color schemes

Post by Husky »

Hi guys, Newbie here from down under...will post under intros next :whistle: im wondering what color should the engine bay be on a BRG Austin a30 two door. its green currently but under the flaking paint is a gloss black...I had a quick search on line and have not come up with anything definitive...it looks like the cars are all over whatever the body color is but just checking...cheers John
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Re: engine bay color schemes

Post by gazza82 »

Same as body colour.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Husky

Post by Husky »

cheers ill go with BRG...was thinking satin black so the suspension parts which are already gloss black, wouldn't need masking...
SteveClem

Post by SteveClem »

Unless you're into concours stuff,just do it the colour you want. Further down the line you,or someone else could change it.
We never really own these cars, we just tend them for the next carer! :)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

You quote BRG as the colour which may be what it is now, but the closest original colour to BRG is called Spruce Green, if that might matter to you.
Husky

Post by Husky »

I see "Spruce Green" in the color charts but also BRG as well...I think spruce is lighter and possibly slightly metallic looking?? hard to tell on screen. I might go with the satin black inside as I had to use an off the shelf "hammertone" lighter silverish green for the engine as I couldn't get a descent match on the olive green original color.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I am happy to be corrected by those who know more than I but I did not know that British Racing Green was a colour ever used on an A30 or A35.

Satin black is much better choice than hammer finish ! I always regretted using a dark blue hammer finish on the engine bay of a Speedwell Blue car I had many years ago.
AustinofEngland

Post by AustinofEngland »

I've had this in the garage for years:
I would say it's a tiny bit darker than spruce green but may offer a smart cost effective way to get a good finish with good corrosion protection, previously known as Smoothrite but now Hammerite smooth
Last edited by AustinofEngland on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUSTIN - you can depend on it!
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I used that paint to temporarily cover some panel repairs on a Spruce Green car and it lasted 12 months until I sold it. I had to point out the brushed repairs to the paint to the purchaser as the match was so good
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Dave Clark wrote:I am happy to be corrected by those who know more than I but I did not know that British Racing Green was a colour ever used on an A30 or A35.
Inclined to agree with you Dave. It was used on MGs and Healeys and other "sporting" BMC cars, including some Mini's. Don't think our humble A30s and A35s ever fitted into that category .. a few might now!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)