1959 Austin a35 restoration

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Bigdaz

1959 Austin a35 restoration

Post by Bigdaz »

So I'm darren I've been in to old ford since I can remember but my girlfriends father had this on the drive for 15 year or so and I've grown quite fond of her I was instructed to sell it and So after careful consideration I've decided that I'm going to have a stab at putting this old Girl back on the road
Yes it's a bloody mess but not as bad as I thought it would be, progress might be slow due to work and having to work out side, it won't have a showroom finish or will it win any prizes but it will be on the road, and that's better then it being banger raced, so she is going to need inner and outer sills both sides front wings will need repairs bonnet is knackerd, few holes in the battery tray, bottom of both doors, that's just after my first inspection, first I will take off the wings and the interior to see what I'm working with, the mechanical stuff doesn't bother me but my welding skills are limited but what a great way to practice, I hope your a friendly bunch as I'll be asking lots of questions lol here's some photos,
Dragging her out with the granny Image

Last edited by Bigdaz on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Re: 1959 Austin a35 restoration

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

well done that man, first port of call is join the club, we have a great spares scheme, we are not Ford bias, i've got Ford's & have had quite a few, actually saw a MK4 Zodie Exec today at a customers, i see your 'Granny' in the backdrop, ask the questions as mistakes are harder to resolve, i'm sure you know this being in the 'Ford' circuit..
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

I'll be looking in to joining very soon, I'm glad your not ford biased as the granny's going nowhere lol that's my daily driver, was sat in a garage 15 years and was going to be raced, the a35 been off the road at least 15 years to and taken me about 2 years to get it brought, looks pretty much original to and I can't find any dodgy mot welding witch is good,
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Bigdaz wrote:I'll be looking in to joining very soon, I'm glad your not ford biased as the granny's going nowhere lol that's my daily driver, was sat in a garage 15 years and was going to be raced, the a35 been off the road at least 15 years to and taken me about 2 years to get it brought, looks pretty much original to and I can't find any dodgy mot welding witch is good,
you should see what we have in the members area, quite a bit of 'Ford' gossip :thumbs:

my current Ford fleet :thumbs:

Nick Bayliss

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

A40FARINAGURU wrote:you should see what we have in the members area, quite a bit of 'Ford' gossip :thumbs:
Ref Alan's Ford thread in General and Off Topic... :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10038
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Big Daddy wrote:
A40FARINAGURU wrote:you should see what we have in the members area, quite a bit of 'Ford' gossip :thumbs:
Ref Alan's Ford thread in General and Off Topic... :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10038
oh, i thought it was in members area :whistle:
Nick Bayliss

gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Oops ... maybe it should be :-)

Says Ex Cortina owner ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

I'm quite excited to start working on it, the welding I'm A little concerned about as I have a large beard and worried about setting fire to it lol, and from the research I've done the the parts are a lot Cheaper then for old fords, and my partner not only let me buy it but let me put it on the drive and she likes it, she thinks it's cute,
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Welcome Darren
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Excellent... don't whatever you do, look under the carpets!
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

Bigdaz wrote:I'm quite excited to start working on it, the welding I'm A little concerned about as I have a large beard and worried about setting fire to it lol, and from the research I've done the the parts are a lot Cheaper then for old fords, and my partner not only let me buy it but let me put it on the drive and she likes it, she thinks it's cute,
I'm pretty sure that there are welder's in a similar situation and you can get probably a welder's hood/snood or don't weld upside down! Or this .. https://www.magidglove.com/FLAME-RESIST ... 1NYBN.aspx

Fix the Austin for you partner to drive as well! :whistle:

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

Ok so this morning before work I thought I'd remove the interior and have a look at the floor lots of surface rust but not to many holes, the panel under the pedal will need some work as the battery tray has gone though so water has got in and rotted it, it's not gone though but it's very thin, tops of the door hinge panels gone both sides, inner wings look ok from what I can see,I'm going to have a nightmare getting the wings off to have a better look, and where's a good place to start ? And what gauge steel is the car made of ? Oh and the engine was seized but I put lots of wd40 down the spark plug holes and left it soak for a while and using the crank handle it turns over freely now so I might try and get her running when I have time, it's got an su carb is this original? And what su is it, so I can get a rebuild kit,

Last edited by Bigdaz on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

gazza82 wrote:
Bigdaz wrote:I'm quite excited to start working on it, the welding I'm A little concerned about as I have a large beard and worried about setting fire to it lol, and from the research I've done the the parts are a lot Cheaper then for old fords, and my partner not only let me buy it but let me put it on the drive and she likes it, she thinks it's cute,
I'm pretty sure that there are welder's in a similar situation and you can get probably a welder's hood/snood or don't weld upside down! Or this .. https://www.magidglove.com/FLAME-RESIST ... 1NYBN.aspx

Fix the Austin for you partner to drive as well! :whistle:

She loves it and would be cross if she doesn't get to drive it lol,
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

On the carb, the SU isn't standard but is usually fitted when the old Zenith downdraft gets too warped of difficult to keep in tune. It's probably a 1 1/4" HS2 but a picture or two would help. May have a tag on it or a serial/model number punched into it.

That top N/S door hinge looks very week, so take care leaving that door open! They are pretty weighty ..

Club WebEditor.

Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Do spend some time looking at some of the restoration threads on here, especially in regard to that area round the door hinges because it is one of the most difficult areas to repair and get the door fitting correctly. How do I know ??

The rest of the car looks like a standard (A35) restoration process - enjoy !!