one engine slowly fades....... another re-lives!

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Re: one engine slowly fades....... another re-lives!

Post by Alan »

hello Ed, yes John did tell me the difference.

with the Britmo box, when I quizzed him about the reverse gear, he said he had to fit the 803 reverse as the casing was too tight to fit the 948 reverse in. so I have 4 forward 948 and 1 803 as the reverse. he told me that all the internals were new items. :D . I would say that the reverse is irrelevant as you bearly do more than 10mph going backwards.

the 803 box that is coming out is a very good box with no noisy gears and it doesn't jump out of gear either. this will be for sale in due course.

Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
Alan

Post by Alan »

so the gearbox and engine have been out a couple of weeks. engine has been cleaned and a new clutch has been fitted. didn't paint gearbox.

today I managed to get the engine and box back in with the help of a crane from a mate. so it's now putting it back together. have managed to fit the clutch rods, exhaust and carb today.

continue tomorrow.....

Alan

Post by Alan »

all put back together today and car started first time :clapping:

however....... HELP!

I cannot select 1st or reverse. if I drive off in 2nd, I can change up to 3rd and 4th as you normally would. I can also change down from 4th to 3rd and then to 2nd. if I am trying to engage 1st or reverse, it doesn't let me.
if I turn the ignition off and then select reverse or 1st gear and start the car with foot on clutch, it is fine.

so to me the gearbox is fine.

what am I missing here?

Alan

Post by Alan »

managed to work out what id missed. I'd incorrectly adjusted the clutch. now after further adjustment, I now have a working car again. the difference this makes to an A30 is big. I now have a 3rd gear for getting up hills!

one question I have, is what is the split pin for at the bottom of the gearbox for? I have had a couple of small drips from this area. piece of mind.

Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Good question for the split pin Alan never thought to ask that one
Its just a drain hole
The good book just says spilt pin for cluch drain hole.
Looks to be as token gesture? Not sure what is the purpose?

John G
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Often referred to as a jiggle pin it,s purpose is to keep the hole clear by constantly moving -jiggling !
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Wow wheres this stand in the technology league? :shock: A simple device that probably does a really effective job.

John G 8)
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

But you do have to ask if oil should be coming out in the first place .. :whistle:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Could be the first motion shaft leaking but more likely a weep from the rear main bearing.

I shall be intrigued to see if your rebuilt 1275 is entirely leak free from that latter source.
Alan

Post by Alan »

so after 8 years and a trip to Scotland, devon, midlands, Gloucester and countless trips to the south coast, it was time to retire the trust 948 engine for a while (it will be back in some form no doubt).

so today I removed the 948 from my A30. i'd rigged up some overhead jalopy and some chains to lift and lower to the floor. daylight decreased and I needed a beer. so the engine sits on the floor of the garage in the engine bay. (did that make sense?).

lift the car over the engine tomorrow and then onto finishing the new engine, exhaust and carb/manifold.

oh and the new fuel tank. (have you read facebook recently) :mrgreen:

Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Hi Alan,
:thumbs: Will be watching this thread with interest as I'm keen to see how it all goes when you're finished. I've got an HS4 and manifold but would need the larger bore exhaust as well and I'm undecided as to whether to go down this route with new exhaust etc.
I actually come down to Surrey about once a month to see my daughter and her family that live near Reigate. Whereabouts in Surrey are you as I would be interested to meet up with you sometime. I could bring the A30 down as well although will most likely be next spring now as we are heading into mucky salty time. I've done nearly 5k on my 1098 and Britmo gearbox since I rebuilt both earlier this year and it's all going great so far. Gearbox was a bit notchy and baulky at first especially going into second or first from neutral when stopped but seems to be loosening up with miles!
All Best Ed
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Ed, large bore stainless steel exhausts are available, Chris T has one fitted on his daily driver.
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Hi Paul, Thanks I'm interested in these and think it's fantastic that the club has made them available and I already have the inlet / exhaust manifold to match, but that's my dilemma, my car is currently running beautifully and has a perfectly good stainless steel standard bore exhaust so I'm looking at the cost of refurbing the HS4, the larger bore exhaust, some potential oncost to the insurance policy and wondering whether the increase in power will be worth it, that's why I'm so interested to see the result of what Alan is doing. :wave:
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Edosan wrote: my car is currently running beautifully and has a perfectly good stainless steel standard bore exhaust
That’s what I thought about mine. With hindsight I wish I’d moved to HS4 and wider bore exhaust earlier. I naively thought a tiny SU would provide better 1275cc economy on my long commutes. The 6,000 miles clocked since swapping reveal a consistent 10% improvement in fuel economy despite my much heavier right boot. I’ve wasted £2K in unnecessary fuel expenditure since 1275 installation in the early noughties. The HS4's performance hike is startling. The daily driver A30 is now noticeably livelier than my thirsty MG Midget (standard twin 1.25” SU on 1275cc), especially evident when tackling hills (both on 3.7 diffs). A 1.75” HIF6 is however now ready in the wings to hopefully address the Midget’s embarrassing humiliation.
There was no change to my insurance premium.
Chris T.
400,000+ A30 miles in 40 years
Austins <=> sustAin
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Thanks Chris, am definitely being tempted now, next step maybe to start on the carb, nice little project on its own. will also be interested to see what needle works best for Alan with the 1098. There was a 1098 mini with an HS4, i remember my Dad had one for awhile, Clubman Estate, so I'm guessing that may be a good place to start. Anyone with a definitive on that, Regular needle and weak needle?
Reassuring about your insurance but you were already running a 1275 which may attract more insurance. A 1098 with a single HS2 is effectively a standard A35 set up and is treated as such. I am encouraged though and it's definitely worth checking out, may not be much difference if any. All Best Ed