863 EMD Restoration

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Tight Yorkshireman

863 EMD Restoration

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Following on from the general forum I have started this one on restorations. I have got EMD back from my welding man but no welding has been done. Decided that with him being busy we agreed that I have the car back and strip off it as much as I can to work on then he takes it back minus may parts, eg engine/gearbox, inside etc
He then does the welding etc, I will overaul what I have at my garage in between. The car may even come back painted but havnt decided on that yet
Anyway (see photos) took out what was left of the carpets, the passenger seat then had a scrape round inside (lots of rusty bits) and into a rubbish bag. Took off the fuel tank see the fuel I drained out looks like a dark ale! The tank appears usable but will have to clean it out
I removed the rear bumper and all light fittings etc

John G
Attachments
EMDRest091011 001.JPG
EMDRest091011 001.JPG (49.83 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
Iterior
Iterior
EMDRest091011 005.JPG (45.48 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
Unscrewing tank nuts
Unscrewing tank nuts
EMDRest091011 011.JPG (42.39 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
Cut fuel pipe
Cut fuel pipe
EMDRest091011 012.JPG (38.22 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
Old Fuel
Old Fuel
EMDRest091011 014.JPG (44.33 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
Fuel Tank
Fuel Tank
EMDRest091011 016.JPG (61.16 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
Finished for now
Finished for now
EMDRest091011 017.JPG (46.64 KiB) Viewed 13014 times
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Dave Clark

Re: 863 EMD Restoration

Post by Dave Clark »

I have seen a lot worse, but you have lots of fun ahead, cleaning, de-rusting and painting.

The satisfying bit is when you get the car all welded up and painted, if you have all the other bits ready to bolt back on , all clean and rust free. This is what should keep you motivated all through those cold dark nights !
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

it doesn't look that bad John
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Tight Yorkshireman

Hi Dave I think you are right there are worse cases but as you say lots of fun ahead with the de-rusting etc and you are on my thinking get that bit/lot done then welding man and in between on the cold nights I should have the cleaned up/repaired with some new parts to fit

Nick I thought you might say that after what you will tackle. This is an easy one by your standards!
Had some advice from a fellow club member edosan regrding using a zip type disc for use with the hand grinder to clean up the scale etc. What would you do to treat that rust as Ive not done this for many years. I intend to clean it up first but there are products many out there. What do think are the most efective?

Regards

John G
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I said this quite recently on here and I repeat there is no better stuff than the Bilt Hamber stuff - Google it and see. Its relatively expensive but it really works.
Tight Yorkshireman

Done a liitle bit more toady Sunday 9th Oct 2011. Took out remainder of upholstery, (see photo) and drivers seat. The round headed screws for the seat frame brackets were sods. Floor was that far gone that ended up ripping a bracket on each side out with bit of flloor attched
Removed hand brake lever etc. Its mounting point appears to be solid and ok and HB pawl seems in good nick may be a replacement by the looks!
Next to do will be dash out and the parcel shelf front section? Then the remainder of the totally ripped headlining!

Regards

John G
Attachments
Last bits of upholstery out. Look at discolour
Last bits of upholstery out. Look at discolour
EMD090111 003.JPG (43.25 KiB) Viewed 12955 times
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Dave Clark wrote:I said this quite recently on here and I repeat there is no better stuff than the Bilt Hamber stuff - Google it and see. Its relatively expensive but it really works.
i agree,it's b****y good stuff
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Tight Yorkshireman

A40FARINAGURU wrote:
Dave Clark wrote:I said this quite recently on here and I repeat there is no better stuff than the Bilt Hamber stuff - Google it and see. Its relatively expensive but it really works.
i agree,it's b****y good stuff
Might be having a look at this then chaps!

John G
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

I originally asked the question about primers, had a look at the Bilt website and am definitely going to get some, from my experience success comes with getting as much rust off as possible, using a rust convertor in case any remains, Jenolite is my favourite and then a good primer etc.
The Zip wheel mentioned is the closest I've come to the results you get with sandblasting so it removes a lot of the surface rust and is much quicker, easier and cheaper to use than traditional sanding.

The link to a seller on E-Bay is here if anyone else is interested

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZIP-WHEEL-REM ... 43a9fb497a

I dont think it is the seller I used so cant vouch for them but thought you might be interested to see what i was talking about.

All Best Ed
Tight Yorkshireman

Hi Ed

Nick contacted me re the zip type wheel but a 3m one which looks a similar wheel. I agree need to get as much of the rust off then treat. Another job to do!

John G
troutrunner

Post by troutrunner »

The same-ish thing is what I bought in Halfords at about the same price, but be aware folks, when they catch the edge of anything they seem to have mind of there own and can bite :roll:
Paul
Member No.A728
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
Tight Yorkshireman

Done some more tonight
Took out the dash and the parcel shelf plinth and the cardboard limer. removed the wiring out of there too. All of the screws were tight coming out so made it a longer job plus other non standard bits
I think I might have to change the roof lining too, ............look at the photos
Next I think its the front end bits such as bumper off, rad, grill all lights and wings, then eng and gearbox

John G
Attachments
EMD101011 001.JPG
EMD101011 001.JPG (64.07 KiB) Viewed 12876 times
EMD101011 002.JPG
EMD101011 002.JPG (60.87 KiB) Viewed 12876 times
EMD101011 003.JPG
EMD101011 003.JPG (63.91 KiB) Viewed 12876 times
New headlining required?
New headlining required?
EMD101011 005.JPG (45.75 KiB) Viewed 12876 times
New headlining required?
New headlining required?
EMD101011 007.JPG (43.5 KiB) Viewed 12876 times
Tight Yorkshireman

Just one more comment here. I know others have covered this before but the state of the wiring on some of the connectors was in a right old state. Tried to get a close up in the photos but it has not picked it up. On this evidence if you have old wiring in your Austin get a new loom before the car lets you down on the roads or worse goes up in flames from faulty wiring!

Regards

Johnay G
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Just a comment.

If you are doing a full restoration and there is lots of welding to do then it may be wise to leave some parts on the car until that has been done. It saves on storage space (amazing how much room those parts all take up) and it also means you will be able to find the parts (and more importantly how and where they fitted) when you come to deal with them.

It makes sense to remove the major mechanical parts to work on them, but I would not strip out,for instance, dash, headlining and wiring until I was ready to replace them. Its all too easy in a fit of enthusiasm to rip it all apart to see whats there only to cause more work later.

I have done it both ways and I know how I will tackle the next one (if there is one)
Tight Yorkshireman

Dave Clark wrote:Just a comment.

If you are doing a full restoration and there is lots of welding to do then it may be wise to leave some parts on the car until that has been done. It saves on storage space (amazing how much room those parts all take up) and it also means you will be able to find the parts (and more importantly how and where they fitted) when you come to deal with them.

It makes sense to remove the major mechanical parts to work on them, but I would not strip out,for instance, dash, headlining and wiring until I was ready to replace them. Its all too easy in a fit of enthusiasm to rip it all apart to see whats there only to cause more work later.

I have done it both ways and I know how I will tackle the next one (if there is one)
Thanks Dave for your support and advice I know what you mean but I realy do feel ok with this approach! I did think it out and my garden shed is dry and will store some bulky parts like the seats and the coverings are all needed to be done so not worried there. I am putting items in seperate jars/containers eg internal stuff one jar for screws etc/one boxI I do like to keep things in place like you say so its no thinking when doing straight swaps but I think in this case this will be my best option but demands total committment to face a pile of parts (may be mid winter) all to be refitted, thats after they have been sorted
Thanks again Dave keep advising and commenting it all helps and is good support

Regards

John G