FO. One day at a time

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
splott

Re: FO.. starting the long haul back to the road

Post by splott »

Best answer is slowly. Day job gets in the way a bit. Engine turns,electrics now work and I have my friendly neighbourhood welder/fabricator (my son actually) coming to have a look this morning. Looking at when we can take it to the workshop - sills need more than a patch. Still planning to take him to the international in Winchester. Might have to be on a trailer though. :weed:
Last edited by splott on Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FO - 1956 A30
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

Yours is further along than mine, Keep up the good work :thumbs:
Bryan
1957 Austin A35 2 door Deluxe "Thomas"
1958 Austin A35 4 door "Dinky" Highly commended Heap of the show 2013 still surviving despite the owner!
Member of the Southampton and New Forest Group
This is a psychic screen you will believe me to be far more important when you see it
splott

Post by splott »

Small step forward yesterday. After a couple of evenings taken to change the oil, free up the carb and prime the fuel pump (left overnight full of fuel seemed to coax it back to life), I thought I'd put a compression tester on it. 100 - 55- 25 - 95. Squirted some light oil in the bores and got 100 - 90 - 65 - 100.

Put the rest together and cranked it. Nothing.
Checked for a spark - nope.
Stripped points, lucas ones, so gave them a little scrub with emery until I got good continuity. Checked condenser - ok.
Put it back together. Checked ht leads. Oops. Put firing order back correct.
Cranked it - and FO came to life with no hesitation. Tickover good, no rattles. Not bad for being idle for 20+ years.

:P
FO - 1956 A30
WAC_Paul

Post by WAC_Paul »

good news - I remember firing wac up for the first time when I bought it in similar condition 29 years ago 8)
splott

Post by splott »

So, I've spent too much time tinkering with stuff that doesn't really address the real work like floor and sills being rather poor to say the least. I'm sure there are worse projects around. Things like working on the house need doing and FO has to take his place in line.
Anyway, time to get to grips with it and Exmouth might be do-able.

Got him out into daylight and removed wings. Started to get the paint off the floor and had a good look under the boot. NS spring hanger is non existent under the floor, and sills look like I'll need inner and outer to put this right.

Uncovered brazing in the floor, as well as filler. Eek. Pictures later when I can upload them.
FO - 1956 A30
splott

Post by splott »

ImageImageImageImageImage
FO - 1956 A30
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

All too familiar pictures. Good luck with the fixings. :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

Great that the engine goes. Nothing like a working bit to encourage the work along. Keep up the great work :thumbs:
Bryan
1957 Austin A35 2 door Deluxe "Thomas"
1958 Austin A35 4 door "Dinky" Highly commended Heap of the show 2013 still surviving despite the owner!
Member of the Southampton and New Forest Group
This is a psychic screen you will believe me to be far more important when you see it
splott

Post by splott »

Well, pouring with rain this afternoon, but swapped the bonnet for one that isn't falling apart with rust (and wasn't originally green) which highlighted a topic that I've noticed come up a few times, took all the advice about how to change the flying A, and then realised I have two different plinths. Question is, which is the correct one for the car? I have fitted the heavier, cast unit as it was the only one i could get to go on properly, but looking at other pictures it seems these appear on A35s. FO is a really late A30, and has fixed back 'low cost' seats like the A35. To my mind the plinths I would have expected to go the same way - heavier cast unit or pressed lightweight cheaper one.

Any one tell me if there is a correct one? Having said that I don't feel inclined to change it anyway given that its a bit of a faff to get on tight and straight. Picture always helps:

And no, before anyone asks I haven't drilled extra holes to run with two of them fitted.
FO - 1956 A30
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

I have no idea but just saying wow I honestly didn't think the two were that different until I have seen them like that! Brilliant comparison shot :thumbs:
~~Lynsey~~
1959 A35 4 door deluxe Saloon 'Cyril'
1957 A35 Countryman 'Sid'
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I may be wrong, but I think the smaller plinth is A30 and the larger one that you have used is A35.

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Jerlaine

Post by Jerlaine »

Not that I know a lot about it but our 1957 A35 has the larger of the two.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

David is correct
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

It looks good, :thumbs: and I know yours will not be the only A30 with an A35 plinth fitted.
Just out of interest, do you know whether the new bonnet came from an A30, or an A35 ?

splott

Post by splott »

No idea David. FO came with a bundle of spares, most from a slightly earlier a30 that was green. The bonnet on him had been painted black, but was the same green underneath. I had a choice of 2 black bonnets - and this was the best one that had the plinth but with a broken flying A.
At that point i discovered for myself how easy it is to fit (!). I resorted to using the cup below on the front to get it to fit properly. I couldn't seem to get the Short plinth to stay tight on the latch. Hmm i will upload the picture in a bit.

Two of these were holding the short, pressed plinth on. The cup seems to fit very nicely through the hole in the latch, but then when tightened to the A, the plinth is wobbly. It was the same with either plinth on the replacement bonnet. looked a bit like the latch was slightly wider maybe. In the end i used one on the front to lift it clear of the bonnet and the back is a longer screw with a big washer.
Last edited by splott on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FO - 1956 A30