Re: A30 van R.G.Swain Rebuild.

Post by WAC_Paul »

I was looking through the clubs van picture archive when I came across this
swain.jpg
swain.jpg (113.75 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Thanks for posting this picture of my Van with a very young and proud looking Kevin Yearsley, at first I thought that He had a very 80's Michael Jackson white glove on........... But then I realised that He is actually holding a trophy, and very well deserved too, as Kevin and my Dad had rescued the Van from a scrap yard in Cressing, and Kevin had spent many hours rebuilding it.
Well done Mr. Yearsley :clapping: :thumbs:
Could you email me the full size version of this photo please Paul : divesandybay@yahoo.com
Thanks. :wave:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
WAC_Paul

Post by WAC_Paul »

took you long enought to spot this mate :P as youve been moving I'll let you off this once :wave: :whistle:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

WAC_Paul wrote:took you long enought to spot this mate :P as youve been moving I'll let you off this once :wave: :whistle:
With the move I had been too busy to check on here until a few days ago Paul, but I did post a reply when I first saw the photo, unfortunately the updates that I put on this and TCYs thread were lost with the forum problems before you got a chance to read it. Again thanks for posting it, a few other members have said that they have photos of the Van from other shows, it would be fantastic to get them all on here. :D :thumbs:

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Quick question;
I am currently running the Vans engine on a test bed, fed from a bottle. I would like to run the engine from my shiny freshly refurbed petrol tank, I was told that I should earth the tank, is this neccessary? I would have thought the tank would earth itself along the petrol supply inside the pipe? If I do need to earth the tank, where would be best to earth it from, remembering that it is all painted, and I do not want to damage the paint.
Thank You for your thoughts. :wave:

A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

David Swain wrote:Quick question;
I am currently running the Vans engine on a test bed, fed from a bottle. I would like to run the engine from my shiny freshly refurbed petrol tank, I was told that I should earth the tank, is this neccessary? I would have thought the tank would earth itself along the petrol supply inside the pipe? If I do need to earth the tank, where would be best to earth it from, remembering that it is all painted, and I do not want to damage the paint.
Thank You for your thoughts. :wave:
why do you need to earth the tank?, have you seen people on youtube or have read on here of a pipe stuck into a plastic petrol can & ya can't earth plastic!..... :whistle:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

A40FARINAGURU wrote:why do you need to earth the tank?
My question exactly Nick......
It was the Guy in the Motor factors (Where I bought the fuel line) Who told me that I needed to earth the tank. He said that when fitted to the car the tank is earthed through the body of the car, but as I have the tank on my bench it would not be earthed. My thinking is that the tank will be earthed through the fuel in the line directly to the engine anyway (Petrol is a good conductor, after all). But I wantef to check with you Guys incase I was missing an important safety issue. :?

A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

i cannot see a reason why it needs to be earthed??
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Good! Thanks for the input Nick. Will carry on as is then, fingers crossed first start up in the new house and fed from the proper tank tomorrow then. :thumbs:

OVY871

Post by OVY871 »

The fuel float/gauge is earthed through the tank I believe? so this might be what needs earthing, other than that all I can think of is maybe low level static but it's more likely the fuel sender I would have thought.
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Thanks Neal, I am not intending to wire the gauge yet (Could be a long wire :whistle: ) So that is OK. It just concerned me, as the way the Guy was talking it sounded like a safety (Fire/ explosion) risk. But I could not work out why, and was worried that I was missing something obvious. :thumbs:

Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

It will be for static electricity, which could cause an explosion. When the local recovery company do fuel drains the mobile tank it's pumped into has a lead that's hooked to a suitable earthing point with a crocodile clip... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Neil Evans wrote:It will be for static electricity, which could cause an explosion
OK, but I was thinking that as there is a supply of fuel in the pipe, that the tank would earth through that fuel supply?
I have already made up a wire to earth the tank with, can I connect it under one of the screws holding the fuel gauge sender unit to the tank?
Earthing point.jpg
Earthing point.jpg (97.56 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
Thanks again for input. :D

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Started up, all running good, no explosions! :thumbs:
And even better the fuel is coming out of my petrol tank the same colour as when it goes in. :mrgreen:

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

This is the engine running in its new home, being fed from the Vans fuel tank, whilst sorting the garage today, a Guy came up to me and said that He recognised the engine as an A series, He said the colour was unmistakeable, and that He used to work for BMC.
running from tank 1.jpg
running from tank 1.jpg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 989 times