A30 van R.G.Swain Rebuild.

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Big Daddy

Re: A30 van R.G.Swain Rebuild.

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:This is the engine running in its new home
Engine looks good on the test stand even after all this time, but would look even better installed in an A30/A35... :mrgreen:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Very true Steve..... :mrgreen:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Since moving to Felixstowe, the foot fall past my garage has increased dramatically, and many of these passers by have a story to tell about A30's or A35's, often their Dads had one or they learned to drive in one, this can impede my progress somewhat, but it is nicer to work with the door open for the natural light and airflow, than with it closed, shutting the World out. And every once in a while I get to hear some very interesting stories. :whistle:
The other week, while you lot were having fun at the National, this very nice Rover 100 parked outside our house, the owners were going to the Alex for lunch, the Husband noticed me in the garage and had a quick chat with me before His Wife gave Him that I am hungry look, He was ex Met Police and familiar with A30's and 35's.
Rover P4 _ 100.jpg
Rover P4 _ 100.jpg (85.03 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
When they came back to the Car after their lunch, He told me a story that may or may not be known to the club. Back in the early 60's the Metropolitan Police started having problems with bombs of Irish origin, and so they enlisted the help of a very special Man, Major Don Henderson, Major Henderson was an Army explosives expert, and the Met gave Him a nice shiny green A35 Van to use in His work, the Van worked very well, but sat rather low on its springs at the back, due to the weight of all the equipment that Major Henderson would carry to the scene of suspect devices, and so the A35 Van was eventually replaced with a Range Rover.
Major Donald Henderson was awarded the George Medal, for His disarming of the Marsham street bomb in 1975.
So, the first Bomb squad vehicle was a green Austin A35 Van. :thumbs:

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Not a lot to report on the restoration front at the moment, as I have been very busy teaching Scuba which is a good thing. :thumbs:
I have put a down payment on some more panels today though, so another small step toward the finish line. :D
Also my friend Martin the Gunsmith has made progress on a small project that we have been working on (Thanks to Country Boy), it is to remake the small metal cups that sit under the flying A on the A30's bonnet, Martin has made the tooling to produce them, and spun up a couple of prototypes in Brass, which I think are spot on, He is going to make a few up in steel next, being a gunsmith He also wants to black them. 8)
Flying A caps A30 1 forum.jpg
Flying A caps A30 1 forum.jpg (106.7 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
Flying A caps A30 2 forum.jpg
Flying A caps A30 2 forum.jpg (98.05 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
The dark one is the original, and the shiny ones are the ones that Martin has made.

troutrunner

Post by troutrunner »

Good news on the panel front David :thumbs: I'm sure Neil will start on the old girl as soon as they arrive :wave:
Paul
Member No.A728
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

David

These look great :thumbs:

Do you know my address :D :lol: :cheers:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Hi Steven, I am sure that you sent me your new address, Martin is going to make a few up in steel, and the first two will wing their way to you. :thumbs:
Is Neil ready to start then Paul? I had better pull my finger out......... :mrgreen:

troutrunner

Post by troutrunner »

David, I'm sure if you pass some panels to him and cross his hand with some silver every now and again some progress will be made :thumbs:
Paul
Member No.A728
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

:cheers: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :cheers:

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Wow tempus fugit, has it really been this long since I posted to the Van. Sadly there isn't a lot to report, Neil was ready to start the body repairs at the beginning of this year, but we had no money to fund it, so another lucky Austin took it's turn for the Master treatment.
Since my last post, I have collected some more panels, and lots of A30 spares that need cleaning, refurbing and painting, and also steadily been refurbing R.G.Swains parts that I had previously removed.
The reason for this post, is that I have been emptying the A30 shed today as we are having to move house, so the sheds need taking down ready to move up to my Sisters field until we can find another house, whilst emptying the shed I have found some bits that I needed for Rev, like a clutch foot pedal metal disc (painted and ready to fit) And also many boxes of parts for the Van, all cleaned, painted and ready to fit, it has been good to see these bits again, as it keeps the Hope burning that one day He will be back with us again. :)

gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

And a rear door in Buckinghamshire ;-) Safe and dry but possibly a bit cob-webby :-)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Don't start on all the various parts that I have stashed round the Country Gary. :lol:
To all those wonderful people out there holding my parts, God bless you! :mrgreen:
I will come for them eventually........

gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

My wife was asking what all the small boxes were in the garage ... do I tell her they contain some of my A35
? ... but not open the two or three old kitchen cupboards that are in there that contain more? Oddly she has never asked what the big red rectangular metal thing is on the bench/worktop ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Kate does not even question any more, when we met I had a House of my own, and it was full of Diving stuff and car parts........ Things really have not changed too much, just more Children around. :thumbs:
And the house doesn't belong to us.

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

gazza82 wrote:My wife was asking what all the small boxes were in the garage...
Always helps if any additional classic cars are the same colour and you have remote storage for the first one... :thumbs: