Percy 512 FJO

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
OVY871

Re: percy 512 fjo

Post by OVY871 »

Good to see you back Matt and that progress is happening. Will be good to see Percy when he's on the road again :thumbs:
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
matt

Post by matt »

I'm enjoying working on a proper car again, I now have a BMW 320i which could be a very nice car if it didn't have many faults :roll: I am trying to get the heater to work again, while driving it gets warm then when sitting in traffic it gets cold, and the drivers side is warm but the passenger side is cold! It's had a new water pump and a new thermostat and still no better :evil: damn German car!
http://www.midlandgardencare.co.uk
Je höher der Affe klettert, desto zeigt er seinen Arschi
Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books Simply cross out names and address of people you don't know
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

matt wrote:I'm enjoying working on a proper car again, I now have a BMW 320i which could be a very nice car if it didn't have many faults :roll: I am trying to get the heater to work again, while driving it gets warm then when sitting in traffic it gets cold, and the drivers side is warm but the passenger side is cold! It's had a new water pump and a new thermostat and still no better :evil: damn German car!
6 cylinder ?

Are you loosing coolant ?
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
matt

Post by matt »

Yeah it's the 6 cylinder 2.2, there is a slow coolant loss but I can't see any obvious leaks so I'm leaning towards head gasket failure, the oil is clean which gets burned by the engine anyways a garage suspected valve stem seals, worn piston rings or they said maybe head gasket but they said that was unlikely. I'm quite fed up with the car after it's many faults and the ones that are still present so I'll probably see if I can make it last till the other side of Christmas and get rid of it.
Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books Simply cross out names and address of people you don't know
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia
SteveClem

Post by SteveClem »

Sorry,Matt...l'll not be bidding for it! Had a couple of BMs in the '90's. Company cars. Both had engine changes at less than 30k. Police stopped me for making smoke on the A38. BMW blamed it on UK petrol.
matt

Post by matt »

At 181k miles and a 2004 I don't think it's done bad, I do an average of 21k a year so would like something lower mileage, I could do with a 4x4 again for doing feed trips and lugging hay and straw bales I quite like the discovery 3, vw amrok and Isuzu rodeo it's just a matter of deciding which I like more then making the finances fit :whistle:
beko

Post by beko »

I had one and it was great until it was written off! Mine used a bit of oil, otherwise was pretty much faultless to the end.
matt

Post by matt »

I'm talking 5 litres a month :rol: I don't notice excessive smoke from the exhaust though
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Did you not have one of the BMW Company Car 3-series Specials?

The ones that miraculously refilled the oil all by themselves between servicing? I thought all company Beemers had that option .. they seemed to at my company .. (but it was obviously not functioning by the number of failed big-ends in the car park!).

I was working in Belfast the week that the 'new' 3-series was launched in 1997(?) .. went around to the BMW showroom near the hotel I was staying in to have a look. Had a few glasses of wine with the sales guys .. in fact a lot of glasses as they had opened a lot of bottles and only three punters turned up .. three including me!! :whistle: Managed to convince them all that the car would have looked better with colour-coded bumpers instead of grey plastic.. and about 18 months later, BMW released the 3 series with .. colour-coded bumpers!!
:whistle:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
matt

Post by matt »

I think mine may be an ex company car, 3 times today I have had to top up the water :evil: and has colour coded bumpers (between the scratches that is :whistle: )
matt

Post by matt »

I've been looking at paints for things like wishbones, axle, fuel tank etc modern hammerite is :whistle: (insert a 4 letter word here), I know the off roading crowd use buzzweld and it is supposed to withstand real off roading i.e. Mud, stones, rocks sand...... has anybody here used buzzweld and what were your opinions of it?
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

I'll just leave these here... :whistle:
005.JPG
005.JPG (669.33 KiB) Viewed 524 times
004.JPG
004.JPG (752.29 KiB) Viewed 524 times
006.JPG
006.JPG (651.55 KiB) Viewed 524 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (745.25 KiB) Viewed 524 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (693.59 KiB) Viewed 524 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (914.78 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
sacco

Post by sacco »

That looks like a Austin Neil :whistle:
beko

Post by beko »

It looks less work than many you've done ...
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Don't hold your breath... we haven't got to the bad bits yet... :whistle:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child