TCY 459 'Little Gem' Rebuild

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
David Swain

Re: TCY 459 'Little Gem' Rebuild

Post by David Swain »

Rev still has a lot of teething to do, but if we can get moved into a House with a garage, and my Sister lets me keep all my boxes of spares at Her field, then I am fairly confident that I will have room to work on Him and He will eventually make it to Essex for a visit. :thumbs:
The garage here looks so much better now that a lot of the boxes and panels have gone, I cannot help thinking of your workshop and seperate stores. Definaltely the way forward. :D
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Well another year has passed, with nothing to report of any consequence for Gem, apart from Her moving out into the sunshine for an hour or so the other day, whilst I de-cluttered and rearranged the garage, I am starting to retrieve some of my tools and parts from the field, so I need to get the garage ship shape and Bristol fashion. It has been very frustrating working on Rev, and knowing that I have the tool or part needed, but invariably unable to find them. So operation re organise commences! :lol:
Gem gets to see the sun briefly
Gem gets to see the sun briefly
image.jpeg (129.86 KiB) Viewed 520 times

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Been a while since I have been here, but on my way Home from picking up Revs SU and manifold yesterday, I took the opportunity to stop in at Big Daddy's place for a chat and a catch up on what Him and Tom are up to with the speed machines, as always a very interesting and informative time was had, all too soon though I had to leave and get back to Ipswich for work, I need to make sure that I make the effort to visit more often. :D
Heavenly Wings
Heavenly Wings
image.jpeg (102 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Whilst at Steve's I picked up the Heavenly wings destined to adorn Gem, thank you for storing them so carefully for me these last five years or so BD. :cheers:

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:I need to make sure that I make the effort to visit more often.
You're always welcome David :thumbs:
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Post by Alan »

I will get the exhaust to you some how...….. :rol:
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Thanks Alan. :cheers: I am hoping to get a little more progress completed on the projects this year! :thumbs:

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Slowly collecting the parts for Gem, for that glorious day that I get back round to working on this long suffering Austin, the plan is to make Gem a little bit out of the ordinary, as so much has had to be renewed on Her already, that She will never really be a standard car. With that in mind I am always on the lookout for interesting items, and so I was really pleased to collect a box of old speedo parts the other day, hopefully I can use them to make up a slightly unusual speedo head. :shock: :mrgreen:
Speedo heads
Speedo heads
image.jpeg (69.98 KiB) Viewed 380 times

gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

You thinking of that digital unit in the last Spotlight? I'm going round .. not round in circles ... just round! :-)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I saw that article Gary, it looks very interesting, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet, maybe later tonight I will get a chance, I am busy cleaning carbs at the moment. :D
It was the bottom one of the two speedo heads that caught my eye.

Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

David Swain wrote:I saw that article Gary, it looks very interesting, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet, maybe later tonight I will get a chance, I am busy cleaning carbs at the moment. :D
It was the bottom one of the two speedo heads that caught my eye.
Great find that :thumbs:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

:thumbs: easy to mix and match the separate components with speedos, I use a 1098 van head which is correct for the 4.22 diff I run and an A40 Mk 1 face as I like the light for the indicators which I've added onto my A30. Face is slightly different as its without the crosspiece but has lines painted onto the dial. Liked that article on speedos as well :wave:
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

David Swain wrote:It was the bottom one of the two speedo heads that caught my eye.
I think Countryboy hunted high & low for one of those ... go for it. Will worry the passengers at least :clapping:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Well I didn't get a chance to read the article, but I did get this carb cleaned up, the butterfly valve on this one seemed to be good with very little play, so I thought that it would be a good contender for Rev.
SU 1
SU 1
image.jpeg (116.68 KiB) Viewed 323 times
SU 2
SU 2
image.jpeg (122.96 KiB) Viewed 323 times
This carb is slightly different to the 1.5" one that I did the other day in that it only has two screws holding the dash pot in place, the main piston had seized into the dash pot, but after a couple of cycles through the ultrasonic it gave up and slid out, the needle is nice and straight in it although there was a lot of black (possibly carbon?) build up on the piston, needle and throughout the main through way of the carb. Once all cleaned there was noticeably more play in the butterfly spindle, but after I had oiled everything up the play went away. How much movement should there be, obviously the butterfly should turn freely, but should there be any other movement? I guess that it would be worth buying a new spindle to try out on each of the carbs, to get a feel of the difference between a new and an old spindle? And maybe give a good indicator of which carb should be chosen for fitment on Rev. :D

Chris T

Post by Chris T »

David, I think you were supposed to fry the pancakes in Trex, not T-Rex.
At the risk of upsetting the engineers on here, why not just ensure an appropriate needle is fitted (correctly), plumb it all in & fire it up. Ideally the spindle shouldn’t be so loose that it allows excessive air to leak past & weaken the mixture. New SU spares are expensive. My 1.25” SU was 2nd hand when fitted and it achieved at least 200K miles without any real maintenance before I upgraded to 1.5”. That 1.25” remains a ready-to-use spare, without any maintenance…
Chris T.
400,000+ A30 miles in 40 years
Austins <=> sustAin
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

The one thing I would recommend you change is the needle valve and float, new ones from SU are made out / coated with different materials to cope with modern petrol etc. I've used the one that Minispares sell with a ball valve very successfully and never had any problems with float chamber overflowing since using these. It used to happen occasionally before even with a relatively new needle valve of the traditional type. In line filter in the fuel line is a must as well especially with traditional needle valves. This is the new type http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... 0to%20shop This is the traditional type http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search
You will probably have a choice of needles in the various bits you have. these are all marked on the top of the needle where they are held in piston. There are three needle sizes given for each size of engine. standard, rich and weak. I would start off with standard and experiment with a weak. I've found recently that with modern fuels the specified weak one works best. It'll run with practically any of the HS2 needles you are likely to have initially. Centring the jet is really important if you have them apart and are rebuilding. very simple to do and plenty of info on the web on this. :wave: