A 30 types

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
sacco

A 30 types

Post by sacco »

All though I have not got my cars home yetI have since found out that one is a AS3 model and the other two
are either A2S4 or AS4,what I would like to know is which would be the best car to restore,disregarding what state the cars are in ,Not knowing the actual date dates of production, and I only intend to restore one, I will strip the others for spares.

Regards Eddie
Countryboy

Re: A 30 types

Post by Countryboy »

Eddie
IMHO its a shame to scrap any of these. Will we regret it in a few years time when the cars are more valuable ? I have myself a donor vehicle with heavy accident damage . I will take bits off it as I need them but am reluctant to cut the car up or see it crushed. Not sure if I have answered your question :whistle:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
troutrunner

Post by troutrunner »

All of them :thumbs: don't scrap a thing :weed: offer what you don't want to others on here please, including rotten shells, I know someone who would be interested :whistle: he already has a shed full and like me, saves every thing just about :wave: :wink: if it wasn't for Neil, some second hand panels would not have saved another Austins :cheers:
Paul
Member No.A728
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
troutrunner

Post by troutrunner »

Countryboy wrote:Eddie
IMHO its a shame to scrap any of these. Will we regret it in a few years time when the cars are more valuable ? I have myself a donor vehicle with heavy accident damage . I will take bits off it as I need them but am reluctant to cut the car up or see it crushed. Not sure if I have answered your question :whistle:
You beat me to it Steven :wave: but :iagree: 8)
Paul
Member No.A728
48pop

Post by 48pop »

......and don't forget us poor souls still waiting to dip our toe into the small Austin font...
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Could be a bit far to fetch some of those parts maybe ?

The AS3 is the rarest of your cars and probably the most difficult to source parts for.

An A2S4 is a two door and an AS4 is a four door - which one do you prefer ? I find the front doors of 4 door cars too small for easy entry/egress, but then I am very aged and also quite large !

Whatever you do, try to keep everything, as said above, because you will always regret disposing of anything eventually -and there speaks the voice of experience, I,m afraid.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I also :iagree: save them all.
troutrunner wrote:All of them :thumbs: don't scrap a thing :weed: offer what you don't want to others on here please, including rotten shells, I know someone who would be interested :whistle: he already has a shed full and like me, saves every thing just about :wave: :wink: if it wasn't for Neil, some second hand panels would not have saved another Austins :cheers:
I think it might be a bit costly getting any bits from Australia though :whistle:
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

David
you are a reformed character now :cheers:
sacco

Post by sacco »

G'day to you all ,I thank you for your replies,I will not scrap any thing now,Yes I will strip them of there bits and piece's,and I have enough room to store same they are mostly complete but some one started to restore and has removed engine's and things like doors but mostly that has been put back in to the car one engine to my knowledge has been to the local engineers shop and has had work done ,not sure what though,all have there glass in place one was driven daily perhaps about 25 years ago and has not been started since,that one looks complete but a lot of rust, they are all 4 door cars.they will come with a Austin original work shop manual, and I already have one,so I can read one in bed ?,
My question was partly answered but ,I though perhaps the AS3 would be perhaps the one least likely to be many left,and it seems to be all there, , (Perhaps I am not, being 86 next week 13th December) but you can not lay around or you will get old, so they keep telling me sorry for the pun thanks again for your help when I am able to post photo's I will when I can.

Cheers Eddie.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Good luck to you Eddie , you will get plenty of support from the Gentlemen :rol: on this forum
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Good luck Eddie,
I am glad that you have decided to keep them all, and am looking forward to seeing the pictures!
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
David. :)
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
sacco

Post by sacco »

G'day all,I am hoping that these photos come out all right this is the AS3,no external rust that i can see ,bit in the driver foot well and the battery area ,most of the parts are in side ,will send more soon.

Cheers Eddie
troutrunner

Post by troutrunner »

Hi Eddie,
that car looks a fantastic find, it's an early one with the cantilever boot hinges, it needs to be put on the club AS3 register of known survivers, have you found the chassis number yet :?: more info on this would be good :thumbs:
Paul
Member No.A728
sacco

Post by sacco »

G'day Paul, I still havent got the cars home yet,But I went with my son today to try and take a few pics,I am not much good with a camera,so I was just taking the shots mostly of the out side's of the cars,I no doubt will restore the AS3, I think most of the parts are in the car but never had a good look as the inside is pretty well full up but it won't belong before I get to see just what there is.
I will show the other two and see what you all think later on here is the inside of the door they are all about like this on the car ,and the dash panel a bit of work needed here I think?now if I can put the photos in, I hope that I am able to trace any required numbers It would be good to have it on the Registry of that model.

Eddie.

brianmekon

Post by brianmekon »

Hi Eddie, that's a brilliant find. :wow: It is a very early car. The body looks so solid. Good luck with it
Brian
MG Midget xsu 499s. 1977(died after going round clock 3 times)
MgB GT nsn 579m. 1973
Austin a30 uyj 698. 1955