A 30 types

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
sacco

Re: A 30 types

Post by sacco »

Thanks Neil. I had repaired the forks some time ago, I presume this is the ones you are talking about, but I will do as you suggest,and check with the screw driver.
The trouble with my situation is I like to think about what I am going to do, but my sons just say lets do it and any thing that I had in mind to check is gone,, start the car get in put the trade plates on and go on go round the block.and it went like a breeze,they were all waiting when I got back half the street were out cheering ,I was 90 last year and that was a belated birthday present,and that was some thrill ,shame it has to be locked in a shed.I will try and get some photos of the car as it is.
IMG_1055 repaired.jpg
IMG_1055 repaired.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Attachments
IMG_1055 repaired.jpg
IMG_1055 repaired.jpg
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

sacco wrote:Thanks Neil. I had repaired the forks some time ago, I presume this is the ones you are talking about, but I will do as you suggest,and check with the screw driver.
They're the ones, though the corresponding piece on the end of the gear lever wears too, as does the sprung loaded mechanism that allows the lever to lift over the reverse gate... A combination of all three causes the problem... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
sacco

Post by sacco »

Well it seems I have done something naughty, by trying to put some photos back in to the ones that got removed when I was using the Bucket photo storage, as I see they have gone back to as they were, and any
post I have done since post March 13th has been removed as well, have heard nothing from the forum Admin Board ,any one know why, a little disturbing.

Eddie :oops:
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

sacco wrote:Well it seems I have done something naughty,
Not you, Eddie. A technical problem has seen that a whole week of forum posts disappear... :whistle:

sacco

Post by sacco »

Neil Evans wrote:
Not you, Eddie. A technical problem has seen that a whole week of forum posts disappear... :whistle:
Thank goodness ,I did not cause it ,So will the pics I put back in go back or will I have to try again, I might read what I wrote before I put them back in so as to get some where near the right photos to fit the stories.
Eddie.
PS just found out how to do that Quote stuff, .Kids are clever
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

You may well have to re post those pics Eddie, Looks like you are getting the hang of this stuff though :thumbs:
Even showing off throwing quotes in! :lol:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Neil Evans wrote:

very sorry about that .. but thankfully not caused by us and seems to be limited to posts from Mar 23rd to 29th.

I am taking to the company that hosts the club web site and forum to see whether we can get them back .. without deleting anything else!! :study:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
sacco

Post by sacco »

Thank' for that,I think I can do a better job next time I try.
Eddie
sacco

Post by sacco »

Hi all, feeling a bit down with the car at the moment, no rubbers, and now a serious engine problem I think,
As I mentioned my short trip around the block was exciting none the less, having the gear lever stuck in gear when I got back home and stopped, I decided to wait for some fine weather to put it right,found a oil leak from the near side of engine but no trace as to where it came from,made a decision, to remove the head done that today but no leak there, all back together with new gaskets,then the trouble began would not
start, then only on two cylinders ,checked every thing and then,finally found no 3 and 4 cylinders had no compression at all,totally dumbfounded as to what has happened.
I don't want to take the engine out and strip it down ,I would sooner do up a 948 that is waiting for a berth.but I would like to leave the one in there now, any idea what could of happened ,or what stupid thing I we have done.
:oops: :shock: :( lots of :study:
Eddie.
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

Simple things first... You adjusted the tappets after replacing the head?

A compression test will tell all... :thumbs:

sacco

Post by sacco »

Hi Neil,
Just wasted my time putting the information together , and the lot has disapered ,Yes I checked and rechecked the tapperts every thing was good, no compresion on 3+4. so over to you.many thanks.
Eddie :cheers:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

we should run a sweepstake. I'll vote for a headgasket if the tappets aren't keeping the valves open.
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

Did you do a 'wet' test as well?

sacco

Post by sacco »

Hi Duncan, a new gasket was installed and I would think that it would be all ok in that department BUT,you never no,

Hi Neil, no I didn't, when the car failed to start I did have to change my dacks, sorry about that ,but what' a wet test ?

Eddie,
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Eddie, try following this link that Big Daddy posted in a compression test thread, under technical and maintenance. http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/compr ... g-oil.html
I found it very informative.
I think a wet test is when you put a little oil in the bore of the cylinder, which helps seal a faulty ring or worn cylinder/ piston. And then repeat the compression test, showing whether it is losing pressure down past the piston, or if this test shows no change, then up through a valve or down through a holed piston. Have fun on the test!
David. :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'