KFO731 Dinky the 4 door A35

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Dinky

KFO731 Dinky the 4 door A35

Post by Dinky »

First let me bore you with some history

In 2003 my Godson mentioned he had seen an old car for sale on his way home from football practise. I got him to show me where it was in my Hillman minx and was surprised to see a rather nice Austin. It looked quite good finished in maroon with cream upholstery. The front end was dripping in chrome and it was older than me. A quick test drive showed a minor fault when a rear door swung open as it cornered but I was smitten by the enjoyment of driving a real car. :bow:

I very quickly Joined the national club and also the local group once I managed to find it. Information super highway wasn't so good back then and a contact phone number had a missing digit.

Slowly I discovered that my car might not be quite as original as I presumed. The colour wasn't standard nor was the chrome grill or the spotlamps but it had one thing that the others didn't, This one was Mine and for 6 years she ran and did all I asked of her but then life intervened unemployment :evil: and self employment meant a tightning of the belt. Dinky was parked in the garden and rested, rusted, forlorn and ignored :cry:

Then it happened a job offer led to a chance to have a hobby again so Dinky will be allowd to live again. :wow:
so thats you up to date dinky awaits mechanical restoration and cosmetics to abate years of open stored neglect.

Now is the winter of our discontent! I am hoping to drive dinky to the international rally this year.
Bryan
1957 Austin A35 2 door Deluxe "Thomas"
1958 Austin A35 4 door "Dinky" Highly commended Heap of the show 2013 still surviving despite the owner!
Member of the Southampton and New Forest Group
This is a psychic screen you will believe me to be far more important when you see it
brianmekon

Re: KFO731 My first Austin

Post by brianmekon »

Bryan, it looks solid. Hope it does not take you too long to get Dinky back on the road. Good luck. Keep the pics coming 8)
MG Midget xsu 499s. 1977(died after going round clock 3 times)
MgB GT nsn 579m. 1973
Austin a30 uyj 698. 1955
troutrunner

Post by troutrunner »

Good luck Bryan :D and as Brian says keep the photy's coming :thumbs:
Paul
Member No.A728
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Yeah good luck with it and keep us informed!

John G
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
mecurtis

Post by mecurtis »

The car looks good. I do hope you enjoy bringing it back to life. Looking forward to watching your progress, and, perhaps having some ideas to assist your work!
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

I am cheating with the mechanical and paint work parts by having her/him done for me by David of Vintage Bitz who is brill at keeping Austins on the road.
http://vintagebitz.com/
Bryan
1958 Austin A35 4 door "Dinky" Highly commended Heap of the show 2013 still surviving despite the owner!
This is a psychic screen you will believe me to be far more important when you see it
TFW

Post by TFW »

Hi
nice to see yet another Austin back on the road. Keep us posted on the progress. Are you hoping to be back on the road for the national (or intetnational ) rally
Tim :cheers:
Spares Co-ordinator
1957, 2 Door, Tweed Grey, A35 - "Trevor" - 2704U
TFW

Post by TFW »

Hi me again froget the last bit I was for some reaeson i was thinking the international was the one overseas and not the one at Winchester (bad day at work) Tim :?
Spares Co-ordinator
1957, 2 Door, Tweed Grey, A35 - "Trevor" - 2704U
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

no problem, I am aiming at restoring him/her to the road soon but progress so far is slow. Tyres have been pumped up ready for a tow to the repairer and the cars been washed.
Bryan
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

Now for the technical bit... I need to replace the door cards which have warped due to damp. How do I stop a new set going the same way?
Bryan
jeff

Post by jeff »

Plastic sheet between the door and the card and stick it to the door with strong gaffer tape
WAC_Paul

KFO731 My first Austin

Post by WAC_Paul »

As Jeff said. I'm also tempted to try a rainex type treatment that you can buy for masonry etc. might not work but anything is worth trying. If you're not worried about originality thin marine ply and self tappers seem to work.
Tight Yorkshireman

What about these pre treatments, prior to paint for such as MDF board, or similar stuff as well would that seal it up to prevent warping?

John G
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

on the rear door cards there needs to be some flexability as they have to curve
Bryan
Tight Yorkshireman

Dinky wrote:on the rear door cards there needs to be some flexability as they have to curve
Once curved might a sealant help to keep it in shape?
Ive got my cards waiting in the wings might seal them now thinking about it? :o

John G