1959 A35 4 door deluxe Saloon 'Cyril'
1957 A35 Countryman 'Sid'
Dinky

Re: KFO731 Dinky the 4 door A35

Post by Dinky »

It was only 2 hours early :lol:
Bryan
1957 Austin A35 2 door Deluxe "Thomas"
1958 Austin A35 4 door "Dinky" Highly commended Heap of the show 2013 still surviving despite the owner!
Member of the Southampton and New Forest Group
This is a psychic screen you will believe me to be far more important when you see it
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Dinky wrote:It was only 2 hours early :lol:

Was that you I saw "trick or treating" earlier this evening ? :rol:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

March Fool's Day :?: ... :rol:
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Hey Bryan, if you had posted Dinky's history from Istanbul, then it would have been April 1st :idea: ... :thumbs:
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

:rol: :rol: there was a bit of bul in it :rol:
Bryan
1958 Austin A35 4 door "Dinky" Highly commended Heap of the show 2013 still surviving despite the owner!
This is a psychic screen you will believe me to be far more important when you see it
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

I just had to show this photo Dinky being a bus
BILD1577.JPG
BILD1577.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1102 times
Bryan
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

It's almost a year since Dinky was restored enough to get back on the road. in that time he has gone from this
dinky076_zpsba4da058.jpg
dinky076_zpsba4da058.jpg (125.75 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
to the picture in the last post. So far so good as despite having me as an owner I have had a good year of running despite the odd problem and there is life in him yet. No great progress and incredible miracles but once money allows improvement will happen.
Bryan
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

Yesterday Steven (countryboy( came round to help with my windscreen rubber. Thanks to his genius Dinky has a nice new rubber. here is before during and after. I have now learned how to remove a dash board and how to rethread a starter cable as I didn't disconnect it first :oops:
BILD1659.JPG
BILD1659.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1036 times
BILD1660.JPG
BILD1660.JPG (687.45 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
BILD1661.JPG
BILD1661.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1036 times
Don't ask how the tax disc holder changed sides :rol:
Bryan
WAC_Paul

Post by WAC_Paul »

You've done it now. No chance of hoty!!
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

is there a supreme HOTY I can enter :rol:

I have driven Dinky today and found that when I moved the dash board I had pulled off the speedometer connection and dislodged the warning lights. All fixed now but next time I will disconnect more before I try and move the Dash.
Bryan
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

There is no necessity to remove the dash to fit the screen. The rubber can be encouraged between them with a plastic spatula.
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

Now you tell me :rol:
Bryan
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Thought everyone knew that... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Dinky

Post by Dinky »

Only if they read this. :thumbs:

I have just finished my contribution to our clubs local mag and thought it might be informative on here too. I am the archivist for the Southampton and new forest group.

Hello fellow Austineers, I have been given some press cuttings for the archive but not too much to report but here is some light reading for you.

Having enjoyed Chris Marchant's talk on tyres at the last meeting I must tell you how Dinky (my A35) took early retyrement last month. It was the day before the road run through the forest and I had decided to repaint my wheels in the correct colour rather than the silver that was looking shabby. I had masked off the tyre and started painting with a spray but as the wheel was still on the car I got some runs. “No problem” I thought as I jacked up the car and removed the wheel. Painting horizontally was easier and better. One wheel done I thought as I was picking it up to replace it on the car.

It was then I noticed the shiny metal bit in the tread, a thick nail without a head nicely polished by the road but not desirable in any way as it could have blown the tyre at any moment. I removed the nail which was accompanied by a hiss. “Oh dear” I thought but then looked at my tyres condition, despite there being plenty of tread my side walls had suffered from being left standing when the car was laid up for 5 years. The more I looked the more I realised that this tyre wasn't worth repairing as I quite like living. A cursory inspection of the others revealed the same so out came the spare and off quick to the local tyre shop was the only cure.

The tyre place was full of modern cars and young fitters. My sense of humour was in full flow as I got the starting handle out and placed it on the passenger seat. When my turn to be done came up I handed over my keys with a comment about where the starting handle was. The young fitter paled and he returned the key saying that “you'd better bring it in” which I did using the electric start. As the car was out of sight he never saw the start and while fitting the four tyres was not aware that I had told the manager behind the desk about my trick. When the car was ready the manager went out and started the car as the fitter had no idea of how. He definitely learned something that day!

The road run was enjoyed and my tyres are a lot safer now despite the fact that three wheels are still the wrong colour. If your tyres are a bit old do check them to make sure they aren't starting to crack around the side walls. It isn't just wear that makes then deteriorate.

Well that is about it for me apart from mentioning the national club website. It is a great resource and the forum can be very helpful when you need advice as well as banter with Austin owners around the world. Go on have a look. There is also lots of information on this years International rally at Exmouth where I hope to see many of you there.

Keep those wheels rolling

Bryan
Bryan