Yorkshire Van restoration

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
A35revisited

Yorkshire Van restoration

Post by A35revisited »

An absolute beginner, I was told by a member that it was a "brave project". Likely to take some time as I have yet to acquire the art of welding.
The welder arrives next week and, given a bit of practice, my first job will be to attend to the grill panel, wings and valance. Unfortunately, where all these bits should meet has corroded away and I don't know what they should look like. I hope to repair the wing and grill panel and need to get a new valance but, unfortunately, don't know how best to start the job.
Advice from you experts out there would be most appreciated.
A35 4.jpg
A35 4.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 7472 times
A35 interior 2.JPG
A35 interior 2.JPG (121.59 KiB) Viewed 7472 times
A35 os wing.JPG
A35 os wing.JPG (198.76 KiB) Viewed 7472 times
A35 engine compartment.jpg
A35 engine compartment.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 7472 times
David Swain

Re: Yorkshire Van restoration

Post by David Swain »

Look through the restos, Neil did a really good one a while back, showing the removal of the front panel, repair of the chassis legs, radiator support panel, valance replacement and front end repairs.
He started by cutting the front panel off at the shortest point between the headlight cut outs (with a 1mm cutting disc) and the grill aperture, this gives you a shorter weld on replacement, and according to Neil is easier to get the shape, as it has a definite curve at this point.
I think that you are very brave, good luck with it! :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Lee3022

Post by Lee3022 »

If your a beginner you'll be an expert welder after that, brave but very worthwhile.
Need to learn how to weld myself, even looked at college courses but I thought nearly 3k for 10 days was excessive so I either buy a welder and have a go or find someone to teach me
A35revisited

Post by A35revisited »

I've found a few good American youtube vids on mig welding and watching them has given me the confidence to give it a go.
So far I have learned that, for the beginner:
-It is important to have sufficient power & wire adjustment on the welder for thin sheet steel,
-It is easier to achieve good results with Mig+gas than gas-less and the choice of gas is important, Argoshield from BOC seeming to be the favourite.
-Stitch-welding should give a good weld without excessive heat build-up causing distortion.
So that's the theory - now lots of practice and error before I attack Wiggy.
Incidentally, I understand that van wings are different from the saloon. Are repair panels compatible?
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

A35revisited wrote: I understand that van wings are different from the saloon. Are repair panels compatible?
Interesting question, The difference between Van wings and Saloon wings is the angle of the crease around the wheel arch itself, the Vans being sharper and higher to allow for the larger tyres of the earlier Vans, whereas the profile of the Saloons lip is much more rounded. I have not yet used a wing repair panel, but do not think they come high enough to reach the wheel arch profile, so I would imagine that they would work equally well on Van or Saloon.
I did an evening course at the local college on welding thirty years ago, but unfortunately it only covered Gas welding! I then went out and bought a Mig welder, and used it a lot on my Anglias. I found it very straight forward on thicker clean metal, but not so easy on rusty body work. I think now that I have more knowledge of Migs from seeing James in action, reading this forum and watching Youtube. I am very impressed with what others, with little or no experience of welding have achieved on here. :bow:
I do need to try and get my hands on some welding gear and have a go!

Do ask your panel supplier about the compatibility of their repair panels, with regard to your Van though, just to make certain. :wave:

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
A35revisited

Post by A35revisited »

Can anyone identify the bits in the photo? It is a garage find which was apparently going to be restored but abandoned. I found all sorts of bits scattered about in the garage, including some brand new parts, but, many from other projects including a Minor and a Frog-eye.
These two bits look rusty but unused. Are they A35 related?
Anyone recognise these?
Anyone recognise these?
Mystery parts.JPG (79.58 KiB) Viewed 7359 times
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

they look like M****s M***r or Wolseley 1500/Riley 1.5
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
A35revisited

Post by A35revisited »

Safe to throw away then. Thanks.
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Don't throw them away! I put all my non A30/ 35 bits on ebay, start it off at 99p and make sure you put enough on to cover your postage. I made one Midget owner very happy recently, He got two steering arms, that I had accidently cleaned and painted (Thinking that I needed them for my disc upgrade) for £1.98 + £4.50 postage. The way I see it is that, all Classic owners are in the same boat. :thumbs:

Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Agreed, from Moggy/Wolseley 1500/Riley 1.5 front suspension. On the left is the lower eye bolt that supports the torsion bar/track control arm. The other one is an upper trunnion pin, links the shock absorber to the upper swivel... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
lenjeanne

Post by lenjeanne »

Is it a countryman and not a van that you have there.

Len
Len Jeanne

Dorset
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

lenjeanne wrote:Is it a countryman and not a van that you have there.

Len
i am sure it is a van as the owner spoke to me about getting it put back onto the DVLA computer
Nick Bayliss

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

"I've just acquired AV5 van conversion with PCF 735 plates and vin number A-AV5 230767 but absolutely no documents or history. It has been owned by a club member as it has an old club sticker on the windscreen."

Looks like an (AV5) Van to me. :study:

A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

David Swain wrote:"I've just acquired AV5 van conversion with PCF 735 plates and vin number A-AV5 230767 but absolutely no documents or history. It has been owned by a club member as it has an old club sticker on the windscreen.
yes that's what he told me i remember now, well it was a few weeks ago when he rang
Nick Bayliss

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

:thumbs: