Recommission of The Rev.....

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Big Daddy

Re: Recommission of The Rev.....

Post by Big Daddy »

Neil Evans wrote:I seem to recall you were originally planing to drive him home after a quick, easy recommission... :rol:
optimism.jpg
optimism.jpg (105.96 KiB) Viewed 558 times
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Yes, I remember that one Neil...... :lol: May have worked too, if I had just changed engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes, fuel tank, fuel line etc. etc............ Before I left! :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

My trailer came in handy, yet again... :wave:

nb Don't let CountryBoy loose with that phrase... :whistle:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Certainly did Steve :thumbs: , just been looking back through the recommission thread, as my students are busy completing their final exam before we jump in the pool!
It has taken an inordinate amount of time to get here, but progress has been made, it is quite good to look back every now and again to see just how much has been achieved, whilst thinking on how much more is still left to do...... How do these Guys on the telly achieve so much in one evening! :?
Whilst reading through the past posts, I noticed that Revs front springs are not Midget springs as I had thought, but are actually His original springs, as I was unable to find the Midget ones when I rebuilt His front suspension (I had already put them on Gem) This could be part of the reason He feels so wavey and wallowy. I will need to source some appropriately sized and stiffened springs, for a decent feel. I like the way the MG zr feels, I didn't like the way the Megane grand scenic felt. :lol:

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Hoppend

Post by Hoppend »

David Swain wrote:...... How do these Guys on the telly achieve so much in one evening!....
Through the magic of editing, I wish that works in real life...

Why do you need uprated springs David? I find that my standard front springs do the job. however poor performing shocks made it whalowy.
My Austin A30-A35 website: http://www.hoppend.nl
Chairman/webmaster of Dutch Owners club http://www.austinclub.nl
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Maybe I am wrong but I thought bad shocks made it more bouncy than wallowy, I thought it was the softer springs that gave it the feel of a badly captained boat. :?

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:Maybe I am wrong but I thought bad shocks made it more bouncy than wallowy...
Bouncy or wallowy - the mind boggles... :whistle:

Easier to get back to basics:
Springs generate force relative to displacement (F = ks)
Dampers generate force relative to velocity (F = j ds/dt)

where F = Force, s = displacement, t = time, j and k are just constants

Unlike anti-roll bars, springs and dampers function both vertically and in roll. Get your head around those simple concepts and it becomes obvious... :thumbs:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Sorry, got to go and displace some water. :whistle:

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Well there's liquid in most dampers. Enjoy... :wave:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Well that's two new Divers, ready to head out on Holiday to Cyprus. :thumbs:

Hoppend

Post by Hoppend »

Big Daddy wrote: Bouncy or wallowy - the mind boggles... :whistle:

Easier to get back to basics:
Springs generate force relative to displacement (F = ks)
Dampers generate force relative to velocity (F = j ds/dt)

where F = Force, s = displacement, t = time, j and k are just constants
Ahh, engineering language! Now that I can relate to!

Bouncyness is caused by non functional dampner and wallowyness by weakish springs. That Would be the translation,

My question is, as I do not have any expirience with weak springs: How big is the chance the front springs get that weak on our cars?
My Austin A30-A35 website: http://www.hoppend.nl
Chairman/webmaster of Dutch Owners club http://www.austinclub.nl
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I don't know too much about cars, but with Scuba regulators, the second stage springs last between ten and twenty years before they become too weak and need replacing. Rev will be 60 in two years time.........

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Hoppend wrote:My question is, as I do not have any expirience with weak springs: How big is the chance the front springs get that weak on our cars?
Can't answer that directly but trend will be reducing spring rate with wear and corrosion. Probably more pertinent is that A35 front spring rates are relatively low anyway, so any significant degradation will soon become apparent... :whistle:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

A quick photo of Rev after His adventure to the Spa Pavilion and back!
Lovely job the workman did on fixing the garage door. :rol:
Safely tucked up again.
Safely tucked up again.
image.jpeg (118.03 KiB) Viewed 479 times

earthhist

Post by earthhist »

David Swain wrote: Whilst reading through the past posts, I noticed that Revs front springs are not Midget springs as I had thought, but are actually His original springs, as I was unable to find the Midget ones when I rebuilt His front suspension (I had already put them on Gem) This could be part of the reason He feels so wavey and wallowy. I will need to source some appropriately sized and stiffened springs, for a decent feel. I like the way the MG zr feels, I didn't like the way the Megane grand scenic felt. :lol:
Mmm - seems you have totally unrealistic expectations, if you expect it to feel like a modern car, designed to have minimal roll and tight handling, largely for safety reasons. Without a complete redesign of the steering and suspension of an A30/A35, you won't get it half way to drive like a modern car. If you want a modern car feel, I suggest you buy a modern car (by which I mean one produced in, say, the last 30 years or so).

The A30 was revealed at the 1951 Motor show, and had a top speed of just over 60mph, but most motorists in small cars did not exceed about 40mph. There were no motorways. Ordinary main roads had lorries ("trucks" didn't exist in the Uk then) with a speed limit of 20mph, and engines to match, which ensured crawls on main roads uphill at 5-10 mph. So handling and performance weren't in the picture. There were no computers to do design and development and testing was astonishingly minimal.

What was important in 1950 in a small car (when most small cars were boneshakers), was "big car comfort" - which implied a fairly soft suspension (though not as bad as US cars of the period). That's because as the A30 is so light, the unsprung weight is a large proportion of the total weight, and (given the then state of knowledge) that limited how "tight" the handling could be if you wanted comfort.

They were also intended to be driven full (when they behave better) - husband and wife & 2-3 children - and sedately, to conserve fuel, which relative to incomes was very expensive. Nothing was materially altered about the steering and suspension throughout the entire A30/A35 production.

So yes they roll and wallow, and if pushed hard on a bend they over steer because of the rear antiroll bar. But that is the charm. If the front shock absorbers become weak they are inclined to roll over if pushed too hard on a bend, but although a standard car rolls a lot on bends that becomes part of the fun of driving it.
Richard Johnston, Plymtree Devon, formerly A30/A35 Club Technical Officer and President