Recommission of The Rev.....

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
AustinofEngland

Re: Recommission of The Rev.....

Post by AustinofEngland »

earthhist wrote:
David Swain wrote: Whilst reading through the past posts, I noticed that Revs front springs are not Midget springs as I had thought, but are actually His original springs, as I was unable to find the Midget ones when I rebuilt His front suspension (I had already put them on Gem) This could be part of the reason He feels so wavey and wallowy. I will need to source some appropriately sized and stiffened springs, for a decent feel. I like the way the MG zr feels, I didn't like the way the Megane grand scenic felt. :lol:
Mmm - seems you have totally unrealistic expectations, if you expect it to feel like a modern car, designed to have minimal roll and tight handling, largely for safety reasons. Without a complete redesign of the steering and suspension of an A30/A35, you won't get it half way to drive like a modern car. If you want a modern car feel, I suggest you buy a modern car (by which I mean one produced in, say, the last 30 years or so).

The A30 was revealed at the 1951 Motor show, and had a top speed of just over 60mph, but most motorists in small cars did not exceed about 40mph. There were no motorways. Ordinary main roads had lorries ("trucks" didn't exist in the Uk then) with a speed limit of 20mph, and engines to match, which ensured crawls on main roads uphill at 5-10 mph. So handling and performance weren't in the picture. There were no computers to do design and development and testing was astonishingly minimal.

What was important in 1950 in a small car (when most small cars were boneshakers), was "big car comfort" - which implied a fairly soft suspension (though not as bad as US cars of the period). That's because as the A30 is so light, the unsprung weight is a large proportion of the total weight, and (given the then state of knowledge) that limited how "tight" the handling could be if you wanted comfort.

They were also intended to be driven full (when they behave better) - husband and wife & 2-3 children - and sedately, to conserve fuel, which relative to incomes was very expensive. Nothing was materially altered about the steering and suspension throughout the entire A30/A35 production.

So yes they roll and wallow, and if pushed hard on a bend they over steer because of the rear antiroll bar. But that is the charm. If the front shock absorbers become weak they are inclined to roll over if pushed too hard on a bend, but although a standard car rolls a lot on bends that becomes part of the fun of driving it.
That's brilliantly written, the sort of thing you'd print out and hang in the window of an A30 / A35 when parked up amongst modern cars...
:thumbs:
AUSTIN - you can depend on it!
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

earthhist wrote:Mmm - seems you have totally unrealistic expectations, if you expect it to feel like a modern car, designed to have minimal roll and tight handling, largely for safety reasons. Without a complete redesign of the steering and suspension of an A30/A35, you won't get it half way to drive like a modern car.
... :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9823
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Well not much to report from Rev, but the move is progressing slowly, the second shed and decking is now up at the field and awaiting erection.
Shed and deck coming down
Shed and deck coming down
image.jpeg (191.31 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Shed at field
Shed at field
image.jpeg (161.73 KiB) Viewed 658 times
First shed up
First shed up
image.jpeg (165.86 KiB) Viewed 658 times
I slipped up a little last week though, I knew that my Sister was looking to get me to build Her a summer house up at the field, and so when I read of an 11 meter by 3 meter workshop for sale for £300, I thought it best to let Her know as it would make an ideal basis for the summer house. She bought it and thanked me for pointing it out, and then asked if I could help Alan take it down and move it to the field :shock:
Should have seen that coming.....
Workshop ahem, I mean summerhouse....
Workshop ahem, I mean summerhouse....
image.jpeg (165.51 KiB) Viewed 658 times
More summerhouse
More summerhouse
image.jpeg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Kate and I have viewed a few more houses, one had no one at home and when we rang the agent to see where they were, we got the reply, sorry that one is already let, might have been nice to have called and cancelled the viewing then!
A couple of the houses we saw look promising...... One has a lovely house with decent sized rooms but no parking. The other is a bit small, but has off road parking and a double garage. :D
There have also been some developments at Home over the last 48 hours, our rising damp situation has exceeded all expectations with a full on kitchen flood last night, apparently it has been caused by a broken pipe under the concrete floor. :roll: I must remember to take some wetsuits home with me tonight, oh yes and pick up a few bottles of wine. Depending on what happens in the kitchen today may force our departure from the house along somewhat, which may in turn mean that we will not make it to the National this year :evil: Oh and if that wasn't enough, it's Abbi's Birthday party sleep over this Saturday night, prospect of lots of young girls staying over with no running water and no flushing toilets!!! :weed:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

David Swain wrote:Well not much to report from Rev, but the move is progressing slowly, the second shed and decking is now up at the field and awaiting erection.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I slipped up a little last week though, I knew that my Sister was looking to get me to build Her a summer house up at the field, and so when I read of an 11 meter by 3 meter workshop for sale for £300, I thought it best to let Her know as it would make an ideal basis for the summer house. She bought it and thanked me for pointing it out, and then asked if I could help Alan take it down and move it to the field :shock:
Should have seen that coming.....
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kate and I have viewed a few more houses, one had no one at home and when we rang the agent to see where they were, we got the reply, sorry that one is already let, might have been nice to have called and cancelled the viewing then!

A couple of the houses we saw look promising...... One has a lovely house with decent sized rooms but no parking. The other is a bit small, but has off road parking and a double garage. :D
There have also been some developments at Home over the last 48 hours, our rising damp situation has exceeded all expectations with a full on kitchen flood last night, apparently it has been caused by a broken pipe under the concrete floor. :roll: I must remember to take some wetsuits home with me tonight, oh yes and pick up a few bottles of wine. Depending on what happens in the kitchen today may force our departure from the house along somewhat, which may in turn mean that we will not make it to the National this year :evil: Oh and if that wasn't enough, it's Abbi's Birthday party sleep over this Saturday night, prospect of lots of young girls staying over with no running water and no flushing toilets!!! :weed:
I hope you are not going into these 'beds in a shed' scenario :whistle:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

David I do hope things are going to take a turn for the better VERY soon.
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Yeah beds in sheds! Could be Nick, definitely a bit of a back up plan going on. :D
Dave Thank you, it has all got to get better, that's for sure. :thumbs:
I managed to get most of the decking down after work last night, these long light evenings are a God send, while Alan was getting the summer house pad ready for concrete, and then had a nice hot bath when I arrived Home, the builders had been in, taken the cabinets sink and some of the floor out, fixed the leak and put it all back. What a great job, and you can hardly tell anything has moved. :clapping:
Abbi is very excited as the sleep over can go ahead! Apart from time running out on the move, everything is good this morning. :D

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Well we have missed the International rally. :cry:
But both sheds are now up and I have moved their contents up to the field, so that is a large chunk of stuff that I will not have to contend with when the move finally comes, we are meant to be moving next weekend, but the new landlord has now indicated that He may not be looking at a long term let, He is going to talk to His finance people on Friday and let us know, so all up in the air again!
Both sheds up and full.
Both sheds up and full.
image.jpeg (164.9 KiB) Viewed 573 times
I have also nearly finished work on my Sisters field shelter which will be temporary storage for the contents of my garage. There were no doors on either end of the shelter and the left side of the roof had collapsed, I have raised the roof and started redoing the supports under the roof struts, hopefully it should be a lot stronger once I have finished, I also now have locking doors and panelled in the gaps around them, so just need to paint what isn't black, black and get it filled with Austin stuff, oh yes and panel in the gaps under the roof as a Wood pigeon has flown through them since last weekend and built a nest on a wardrobe that I had put in there. :D
Field shelter secure.
Field shelter secure.
image.jpeg (95.61 KiB) Viewed 573 times
So plan for today is to get as much of the garage boxed up ready to move across to the field that I can.

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I started packing and transferring the contents of my garage over last night, the field shelter is starting to fill up, but worryingly the garage is still looking rather full. :whistle: I still need to do a bit more work on the roof and make it Pigeon proof, I started chip boarding the floor as well after putting my foot through a gap between the pallets on the floor!
Garage transfer
Garage transfer
image.jpeg (116.78 KiB) Viewed 541 times
And a picture of our two offenders, just for fun. :D
Saab and MG
Saab and MG
image.jpeg (83.85 KiB) Viewed 541 times
I am hoping that once this fiasco is over, I can keep storing all the spares and panels at the field shelter, allowing me room to work in the new garage, assuming that is, that we end up with a House that has a garage.

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Just taxed Rev online, very quick and easy. :thumbs:

A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

David Swain wrote:Just taxed Rev online, very quick and easy. :thumbs:
i've just done two of mine a few minutes ago :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:Just taxed Rev online, very quick and easy. :thumbs:
Bring Rev to Rookery soon so we can go for a pint... :cheers:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Hopefully get over to yours sometime soon Steve. :thumbs:
Still really busy with the move at the moment though, we are looking at another House on Thursday, hopefully this will be the one as we are running short on time now. Most of the garage is packed and ready to go, and I have found the mythical A series banana engine!
Banana engine
Banana engine
image.jpeg (131.59 KiB) Viewed 456 times

Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Looking forward to seeing the Rev on the road. :thumbs:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Better put your binoculars on Steven.
Revs still a long way from being ready :rol:
Although..... With the garage almost clear now, apart from some tools and the welder I may get an opportunity to do a little work, taking advantage of the space now available. Still got to move House though, so quite how realistic that is........
Last edited by David Swain on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Kim Jong Un likes binoculars... :whistle: