Recommission of The Rev.....

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Alan
Committee Role: A30 Registrar

Re: Recommission of The Rev.....

Post by Alan »

so from my understanding, they adjustment nut is closer to the gearbox when you fit a new clutch (like I have recently)?. the nuts are further down the clutch rod??

I am still have a few issues with 1st and reverse.
Modified 1963 AV8 A35 Van
Modified 1972 Rover P6 3500s

Austin A30 Owners club registrar
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

My nuts were right to the end of the useable threads! (screwed fully on) Now they are probably an inch or two down the threads from what I recall, (sorry, started on the Heineken already!) Toward the engine, my clutch looked good when I had the engine and gear box out, so it sounds about right with what you are saying Alan. :cheers:
Last edited by David Swain on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Hoppend

Post by Hoppend »

Exotic import beer David... :cheers:
My Austin A30-A35 website: http://www.hoppend.nl
Chairman/webmaster of Dutch Owners club http://www.austinclub.nl
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

I do enjoy a cold glass of Heineken Huib. :thumbs:

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Hoppend

Post by Hoppend »

Did you see this commercial:

https://youtu.be/hxxqzaEAtjs

As far as lagers go, I like Hertog Jan (also Dutch)
Also enjoy a type of beer called Bockbeer. (A seasonal beer) There is a festival in oktober that I like to attend and they serve Bockbeer from 40+ different breweries. At the entrance you get a booklet with the different characteristics of every beer. It is held in the old stock exchange hall of amsterdam.

Quite the night out! :cheers:

Any chance of seeing rev on the national?
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Amsterdam in October sounds fun.......
Again and I seem to say this every year, I would love to get Him to the National, but with everything that is going on at the moment, it may be a struggle to get ourselves there. We will see, at least it is closer this year, so might be a possibility. :D :cheers: :thumbs:

Hoppend

Post by Hoppend »

Are you bringing your caravan again?
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

At the moment we have no way of towing it, as the Renault is sadly no longer with us. So we shall have to see on that one. :D

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:At the moment we have no way of towing it, as the Renault is sadly no longer with us. So we shall have to see on that one. :D
David - I may be able to help. Please call me... :wave:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Hi Steve, please email your phone number, as my telephone Gave up the will to live and therefore most of my contacts are inaccessible, including yours. :(

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

E-mail sent... :thumbs:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Looking after Austin today as Abbi and Kate were at a Majorette competition, Abbi as competitor and Mascot and Kate as support. This afternoon though Jacques offered to take care of Austin so that I could play with Rev. I started Him up very easily, and drove out onto the drive, then took the opportunity to sweep the garage and throw away all the cardboard that I have used as a workshop floor. Makes lying on concrete much warmer and more comfortable. :thumbs: But hopefully I have finished sliding under Rev for a while now, at least until the move. Again lots of People stopped to ask questions, the favourite question today was how old is it? Followed by what is it? And are you going to mend it?
For some reason I decided that I wanted to drive Rev into the garage front first, maybe so on start up the exhaust gases are directed out of the garage not into the House, or maybe because He has been looking out to Sea for too long, or maybe because it gave me an excuse to drive up the road to the Spa Pavilion and back (First drive on the Public highway for 34 years), allowing me to try all the gears out! It was like driving a noisy, squeaky boat! Either I have forgotten what it is like to drive an old car, or Rev needs some serious suspension work carrying out :lol: I need to cover a few miles to let the brakes settle in too as there was a lot of squeaking coming from the four corners. Upside was, the engine worked, the gears worked, the brakes worked and the indicators worked! One headlight bulb is very dim, but all lights were working. Rev is safely tucked up again now. :mrgreen:

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:...or maybe because it gave me an excuse to drive up the road to the Spa Pavilion and back (First drive on the Public highway for 34 years), allowing me to try all the gears out!
Congratulations - Success :thumbs: ... :clapping:
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Thanks Steve, a semi functional vehicle at last. Maybe I can get this one finished and get on with the others, after all this was only meant to be a quick easy recommission!
Funny thing about the little drive to the Spa and back was that there was an AA man sat in His van halfway along the road, that's handy I thought as I spied Revs AA badge stuck in the corner of His windscreen, wonder if it's still valid after all this time, glad I didn't have to find out! :D

Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

David Swain wrote:Thanks Steve, a semi functional vehicle at last. Maybe I can get this one finished and get on with the others, after all this was only meant to be a quick easy recommission!
I seem to recall you were originally planing to drive him home after a quick, easy recommission... :rol:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child