Making trafficators flash

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
earthhist

Re: Making trafficators flash

Post by earthhist »

Unfortunately the problem with trafficators will not be solved by making them flash. Drivers simply don't look at that part of the vehicle for signalling information. Moreover the trafficator is physically too small compared with modern signalling lighting to be noticed.

This has been a problem since about 1970, by which time the number of vehicles with trafficators had become small.

For safety you need flashing indicators on the front and rear quarters of the vehicle.
Richard Johnston, Plymtree Devon, formerly A30/A35 Club Technical Officer and President
roymck

Post by roymck »

:iagree:

But my thoughts are to use them as additional devices, so it will be belts and braces.
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

earthhist wrote:Unfortunately the problem with trafficators will not be solved by making them flash. Drivers simply don't look at that part of the vehicle for signalling information. Moreover the trafficator is physically too small compared with modern signalling lighting to be noticed.

This has been a problem since about 1970, by which time the number of vehicles with trafficators had become small.

For safety you need flashing indicators on the front and rear quarters of the vehicle.
This is compounded by some modern vehicles having static orange marker lights on stalks. I suppose at least making them flash can only help the situation...
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
jeff

Post by jeff »

Even some modern cars today its hard to see there indicators with headlights on.
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

Agreed Jeff, just as it's against the construction and use regulations to have the rear fog lamp too close to the stop lamps, it should also be wrong to have the front flashers too close to the headlamps...

I've also noticed that many modern caravan rear lights have the reflective triangle mounted either in a red circle or 'lost' in the rear light cluster. Perhaps I'm wrong but I always thought the idea of having reflective triangles on the back was to show vehicles behind that they were following a trailer... :whistle:

OVY871

Post by OVY871 »

I agree about the indicator being close to the headlights being a problem, I noticed that the Peugeot 508 has them down below nearer the fog lights which makes them much more visible. Same with the cars that have their indicators surrounding a brake light. When the driver is slowing for a junction with the brakes on it can be difficult to see (I can't think what car it was because it was a while ago but I remember thinking it was bad placement of it).

However the biggest problem I find is drivers just not using indicators. Quite hard to see if they're not turned on! I bet most cars you don't have to reach for the middle of the dashboard to turn them on (and off) yet we manage just fine using them. :evil:

Now I've got that out my system... I think that whilst people might not notice trafficators as much, it will certainly help if they're flashing. Of course you can add indicators elsewhere but if originality is key then you might not want to. Just an idea but what about removable plug in indicators. Have indicators popping above the bumper bars plugged in behind, once you get to the show unplug them, or would this still count against originality?
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
Neil Evans

Post by Neil Evans »

OVY871 wrote: or would this still count against originality?
In club circles, safety related items are ignored for the purposes of judging... :thumbs:

splott

Post by splott »

Countryboy wrote:Fab
Do we need 6 or 7 mm caps . :study:
Just had a read of their site. £14 a pair for flashing LED bulbs. We'll need the 7mm:

'6mm caps have flat ends. 7mm caps have pointed ends.'
FO - 1956 A30
carpetralph

Post by carpetralph »

Just seen this post. I did this 30 years ago with my 1948 Hillman. I fitted front and rear indicators on brackets down from the bumper irons and took two feeds to two flasher units from the original steering wheel centre mounted switch, one for left, one for right. I also ran a seperate wire from each flasher unit up to the semaphore arms to power the bulb instead of the common supply to the electro magnet which holds the arms out. They now pop out and flash in conjunction with the front and rear indicators.
It would have been a lot easier if these bulbs had been available then, though I would still have fitted front and rear indicators too.
1968 AV8 van
1970 Triumph Vitesse
1948 Hillman Minx (was restored but not used since 1990)
1938 Hillman 14 (restoration project)
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Just ordered a pair :idea: :idea:

:thumbs:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles