as3 no 496

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
Chairman
Committee Role: Chairman

Re: as3 no 496

Post by Chairman »

Hi Erik, great progress on a very early car there, well done. Re the indicators, one thing you may wish to consider is instead of trying to fit A35 type indicators front and rear which can look awkward on the A30, especially on the rear, is motorbike indicators. These are readily available and come with wiring usually. These are then mounted on brackets to the bumpers using the bumper bolts giving you a choice of above or below the bumper. The ones I have seen fitted to AS3's and A30's have usually been below, thus not spoiling the clean lines of the front end of the cars, nor obstructing the rear lights. I am sure there are photos of these cars in the club magazines if you care to hunt through them......This can also apply to the A30 vans and the early A35 vans.
Mark Bouskill
Chairman
Van and Countryman Registrar
SteveClem

Post by SteveClem »

Erik wrote:As a question of trafic safety - I'd like to mount flasher lights in adition to the semaphore lights. Is there any way to combine these two options using the same original switch?
There must be,Erik,because mine works like that. The local garage man sorted it for me. About £25 five years ago. I know that he changed the flasher can and the job was done while I went to the butchers shop!
Erik

Post by Erik »

Thanks Mark, I will certainly not disturb the originality of the car. I've bought the Lucas style L594 flush fit pattern version and will make brackets and mount them under the bumpers as you suggest. I did the same on my MG TD's rear, and it became ok, in my opinion. If it does not on the AS3, I will change to some other lights.g
Member F9731 since 2004
AS3 august 1952, A2S4 1954(early), A2S4 1954(late), A2S5 1957, AV5 1958, MG TD 1952, Morris Family 1932(project)