The Countryman restoration

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
beko

The Countryman restoration

Post by beko »

Well as some of you know or suspected, I've bought another! I had been tempted to find a converted van, but really wanted a countryman if I could find one, so with Linsey's help here it is.
001 as delivered.JPG
001 as delivered.JPG (171.96 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
002 as delivered.JPG
002 as delivered.JPG (162.94 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Its a proper AP5 countryman so no roof vent
003 roof.JPG
003 roof.JPG (145.41 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
As with all these things, there's good bits and bad bits. The body has been totally stripped but apart from the engine being out, the mechanical parts haven't been touched. The body is surprisingly good in places, surprising poor in others. The back end isn't bad at all, all spring hangers look original and sound and the floor is good too. All doors good (though I think one is non-original as one has a folded flange, the other just a lip).

Front end is not bad, but where it has been repaired, it's been done badly! This all needs to come out to be done again.

The replacement front valance has been put on but over rotten chassis rails ends :roll: , the front shroud is a patchwork quilt and and peppered with holes along the flanges, so I've bought a new panel, as that seems preferable to spending at a week chasing around the front end putting the rot and poor repairs right.
039 osf hinge area.JPG
039 osf hinge area.JPG (180.81 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
This shot gives you an idea of standard of the repairs, and why its easier to cut it out and start again!
041 osf inner wing front.JPG
041 osf inner wing front.JPG (185.91 KiB) Viewed 3719 times

Other than that the floors are probably the worst bit of the shell. The osf floor pan has been replaced, but judging by the other work and amount of seem sealer that will want looking at - at least on the nearside, I can replace the floor myself! The rear floors look a little suspect so might also end up needing replacement.
010 nsf floor.JPG
010 nsf floor.JPG (229.84 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Inner and outer sills also needed, but they are largely original and the doors fit well so that is a good sign. Overall though it is generally pretty solid, though sadly where it has been repaired, it's been done badly!

The biggest headache might be sorting out the side windows though. I'm missing quite a lot of door parts, but sourcing those should not be too bad, but apart from the glass, there's nothing else for the sliding windows at the back so that will be a challenge, as there's various channels and sections missing - worst case scenario I could use fixed windows I suppose but that would defeat the object.

Other things to ponder are colour and mechanical specification. I doubt I will retain the dark green, nor is it likely to keep a 948 and drum brakes :wink:
Last edited by beko on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Countryboy

Re: Here I go again - but a countryman this time

Post by Countryboy »

Good luck with that sir :thumbs:
I dint think I have ever seen a picture of one with the windows out before. I shall follow this with interest. I am glad this is in such good hands :D
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
beko

Post by beko »

Still in the process of gathering parts, though the delivery of the mortal remains of an A30 yesterday which will help to sort much of the previous "repair" work
scrap a30.JPG
scrap a30.JPG (231.91 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
scrap a30 - 8.JPG
scrap a30 - 8.JPG (167.33 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
Front end is very sound, so with minimal repairs, this should take care of the front valence, radiator panel and bonnet surround.
scrap a30 - 6.JPG
scrap a30 - 6.JPG (234.37 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
Back end not so good, as it has been rear ended. This has distorted the shell - both wheel arches are creased and i suspect why it was broken for spares, as not realistic to repair it.
scrap a30 - 3.JPG
scrap a30 - 3.JPG (239.03 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
scrap a30 - 2.JPG
scrap a30 - 2.JPG (222.5 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
All the same there's still some useful sections of the body that I reckon can be salvaged so i'll be carefully picking anything off it that could be repaired and/or reused
beko

Post by beko »

60 today!

I now have collected a good selection of parts now! The donor car has provided floors, front panels and door pillars/hinge supports. I'm not sure exactly how many of these bits I'll eventually use, but the other parts of that shell have found good homes to save other Austins! I have NOS sills and plenty of sheet steel so that gives me more than enough to make a start - and a new bottle of gas for the welder.

The 4 door has gone to a good home and with another car put into store for the winter the Countryman is now in the garage.

I'm making a start on the near side as it's had half the floor hacked out, and I'd rather be putting some metal in before cutting much more out. The plan is to have the near side floor and sill sorted by the end of the Christmas hols, then do the front before moving to the offside. The back isn't bad, that needs mainly cosmetic work.

I've a couple of days off next week, so there should be progress and photos soon.
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

keep it up David lets see the progress of the Countryman, some parts have gone to a good home off the A30 :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
ian24ian

Post by ian24ian »

Happy birthday, I have some aftermarket countryman rear windows cluttering up my workshop..
beko

Post by beko »

Thanks! I'm hoping to reinstate the original windows but really need to see how these were fitted from the factory. I have located the missing chrome bars and catches and it looks like the channels are similar to the door window channels, so hoping I can make "new" channels from parts taken from front doors. That said I should probably buy a set of seals from the club spares scheme before I get started.
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Beko,

Have you seen this from the parts book?
Attachments
Top.jpg
Top.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
Top.jpg
Top.jpg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
beko

Post by beko »

No Paul, I hadn't seen that - looks like I have a few bits to fabricate!
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

yayyy I was waiting for you to post these. Great to see it again! We have fabricated the guttering and are in the process of fabricating the rear window channels (bottom only as our tops are good) I will sort through the bits I have. What are you missing? pm me a list if possible.

Replacing the rear wings was interesting lolol but I think your are ok from memory.

What have you called it or did I miss that with my speed reading?
~~Lynsey~~
1959 A35 4 door deluxe Saloon 'Cyril'
1957 A35 Countryman 'Sid'
beko

Post by beko »

I'll have a good look at it tomorrow and will sort out some up to date photos. "it" hasn't been named yet!
AustinofEngland

Post by AustinofEngland »

Presumably ready for the next National Meeting then? What colour combination is it?
AUSTIN - you can depend on it!
beko

Post by beko »

Not 2017, but aiming for 2018!

It's Spruce green with fawn, but as I don't like Spruce green the question is what to do about the colour! Other Countryman options are, I believe Tweed grey, Island blue and County cream. I like the blue, but did wonder whether to go for a different shade of green, I like the look of Tintern green
TILDAS PILOT

Post by TILDAS PILOT »

beko wrote:Not 2017, but aiming for 2018!

It's Spruce green with fawn, but as I don't like Spruce green the question is what to do about the colour! Other Countryman options are, I believe Tweed grey, Island blue and County cream. I like the blue, but did wonder whether to go for a different shade of green, I like the look of Tintern green
How about this colour combination.
Attachments
$_86.jpg
$_86.jpg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
A30/A35 Club Member 2002-
Lincolnshire Group member March 2002-Dec 2010.
Member of the organizing committee for the 2008 International Rally.
Belvoir Vale Group member(Lincolnshire) 2009-
Member of the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society 2002-
TILDAS PILOT

Post by TILDAS PILOT »

Here is a photo of one that was not so lucky.
Attachments
3284531228_3f7e61347e.jpg
3284531228_3f7e61347e.jpg (190.02 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
A30/A35 Club Member 2002-
Lincolnshire Group member March 2002-Dec 2010.
Member of the organizing committee for the 2008 International Rally.
Belvoir Vale Group member(Lincolnshire) 2009-
Member of the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society 2002-