Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
beko

Re: RLR 298 - an Academy build

Post by beko »

Yes, seconded. :thumbs:
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Canon MOWOG wrote:Pulling the engine out was interesting as I'd never removed anything but a Mini engine before so an inline gearbox was a novelty. Getting the clutch linkage undone was the hardest bit.
My Sykes Pickavant engine cradle worked a treat and we lowered it onto a trolley and wheeled it out from under the car.

Is that still the 803 engine or the 948? I ended up replacing the 803 on mine with 948. Check out the gearbox. I just simply fitted mine back in EMD and all gears great just noisy. If I could turn back the clock I would have stripped the GB and would have taken it from there depending on what I could deduce.

John G 8)
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Tight Yorkshireman

Post by Tight Yorkshireman »

Oh a tip for others, on removing the clutch linkage I slackened all screws off at box and chassis and as box with engine lowered down swung it away leaving cross shaft and pedal etc in situ then tackled later with the space created. You can then get the shaft in vice and now remove that bleeping pin

John G
John (Tight Yorkshireman)
First referred to as the Tight Yorkshireman in editions of the Clubs Spotlight: Autumn 1996 Page 40 and Autumn 1997 Page 15
Canon MOWOG

Post by Canon MOWOG »

I dropped the shell off to Prostrip myself, but paid extra for them to return it in their covered trailer.
Seeing as it was a January day with drizzle & salt on the roads, I consider the extra to have been money well spent.

Metric is for people who can't do fractions
Canon MOWOG

Post by Canon MOWOG »

Inspection of the bare shell revealed a few bits of mothy grot and some hideous repairs, but nothing too bad compared with some of the resto projects I've seen on here.

The boot corners and bottoms of the rear wings were gone.

Both front sill closers had rotted where the wing wraps over, the NS had a terrible patch braised on over a hole.

The OS doorstep to hinge post corner had rotted out.

Both front inner wings had grot where they joint the front panel.
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Thanks Alex! Keep them coming! :clapping:

I'd worry a lot about having my shell dipped or blasted .. it seems solid enough with the old screwdriver test, but I'm sure there is rot where I can't see it ..
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Canon MOWOG wrote:Inspection of the bare shell revealed a few bits of mothy grot and some hideous repairs, but nothing too bad compared with some of the resto projects I've seen on here.
Looks remarkably sound... :thumbs:

Will be interesting to learn how you sort out the car and get on pace with established race drivers... 8)
Nelly

Post by Nelly »

Thanks for the next instalment! Like that you kept the (approx) colour when respraying. Also we are biased towards A30s :)
Felicity and Sam, Owners of 'Nelly', 1955 Black 4-Door A30
Owner and Club Member Since 2014
Southampton & New Forest Club Member
brianmekon

Post by brianmekon »

The shell looks really solid. Keep the pics coming :cheers:
MG Midget xsu 499s. 1977(died after going round clock 3 times)
MgB GT nsn 579m. 1973
Austin a30 uyj 698. 1955
Canon MOWOG

Post by Canon MOWOG »

There was some strange crispy bubbling round the rear end where the C-pillar joins the wing.

I realised it was lead, presumably put there by the factory, so a couple of minutes with the blowlamp and a scraper saw the weight reduction programme underway.
Canon MOWOG

Post by Canon MOWOG »

Part of the Academy kit is a standard issue big-bore exhaust to ensure that the noise levels are well below what is required by all UK circuits (damn those weekend city a*******s that moved in next to Coombe), and the book of words say that it won't fit with the spare wheel well still in place.

This was the first of many occasions that the acid dipping paid off in spades.
All of the spot welds were clearly visible without having to guess or hunt them through the paint & seam sealer.
Canon MOWOG

Post by Canon MOWOG »

Having removed the wheel well, there wasn't a lot more I could do without getting the car up in the air off its trolley, so out came the steel and welder.

Eight castors for stability under the frame, and bolted together in sensible sections so it can be dismantled and stored afterwards.

The ends are triangulated sideways and lengthways, but not as steeply as perhaps I'd have liked. Having said that, the shell was pretty stable throughout.

The round bar was bolted to the original Rotodip holes using lengths of square box with flat bar welded on.

Yup, that works fine.
exminiman

Post by exminiman »

Thanks for taking the time to post this Alex, its facinating.

Just about to go down similar route with shell after much sitting on the fence - problem is i love the smell of original shell abd look of the cellulose......etc... In the end though i hate rust even more.

Can i ask how you chose the stripping company, - I am trying to avoid rust bubbling from spot welded panels, occuring later.

Cheers Marc
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

exminiman wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post this Alex, its facinating.

Just about to go down similar route with shell after much sitting on the fence - problem is i love the smell of original shell and look of the cellulose......etc... In the end though i hate rust even more.

Can i ask how you chose the stripping company, - I am trying to avoid rust bubbling from spot welded panels, occuring later.

Cheers Marc
here is one i know of

http://www.envirostripukltd.com/

Good old Celle :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

I've had good and bad experiences with dipping over the years, from shells that could have done with a bit longer in the tank, one where the wrong doors were returned after dipping and one that appeared to have been rough handled at best or dropped off the forklift at worst, to the expensive dip coat of primer flaking off if the air line was aimed at it. That said I've had shells blasted where they've made a half hearted job and where they've used grit so coarse that it damaged the panels.

My preference now if money were no object would be to dip before the repairs are carried out, then a light blasting after the welding's done, prior to the primmer coats...
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child