Gazza's Project 757 Restore/Rebuild Thread

Restoration projects and Austin related chat in here please
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Re: Gazza's Project 757 Restore/Rebuild Thread

Post by gazza82 »

Spurred on I finally finished reducing the width of the crank woodruff key and it is now a perfect fit. Not loose but I can push it in without additional persuasion!

So question ... Is it normal or unusual to fit the cam and crank gears and NOT need the thin spacers to line up the faces of the timing gears? Because mine doesn't.

I'll put up some pics tomorrow when adjusted to fit site ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

So here's the nice new woodruff key after what seems like ages being gently 'relieved' on a fine-grade diamond-lap plate. If you put a thin electrician's screwdriver under the nose now it flips out easily and pushes back under thumb pressure with a gentle tap with the wooden end of a hammer to make sure it's located. (My previous attempts with small files were not as successful ... probably not quite parallel.)
New woodruff key ... 2nd attempt!
New woodruff key ... 2nd attempt!
crank_woodruff.jpg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Gears now slip on relatively easily ... in that you don't need a gear puller to get them off again but aren't loose. I went for vernier gears as you can see .. but only because I got a good deal on a set.

Is this engine unusual in that I had to remove ALL the crank adjusting shims or the gears weren't in line (edge of metal rule to check)??
Timing gear in initial static timing position
Timing gear in initial static timing position
timing_gears_in_place.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
The new chain .. IWIS .. this one has a separate link and two very, very small circlips to join it. But it's less susceptible to stretching.
Timing chain in box ready to install
Timing chain in box ready to install
timing_chain.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Next up ... cam timing! :study: Now where is that timing protractor ????

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

So .. not a lot. No real progress on the A35 as I've just not had the time. Roll-on retiring :whistle:

I've bought a few more bits for it though including a pair of the Club's new quarter-light rubbers!

But a bit of luck!

A couple of months ago I rang the DVLA as I never had a V5C for the A35 and the brown log book is long gone (well it may be in my mother's house, but that is as good as lost!) ... I think it went awol in one of my house moves. Anyway ...

The DVLA were really useful and informed me that a V5C had never been issued .. so they would send me one. Now that could be a problem for some but as my mother still lives in house the A35 is registered at, it shouldn't be a problem (in fact my mother has lived at the same address for 86 years!!). It would take 3-5 working days and they would issue it for FREE! :clapping: :cheers: :bow: :thumbs:

Great .. no having to prove the identify of the car ..

So that was January. And ... nothing ... :roll:

So rang again in February and ... same response. When I said they should have already issued one, the agent was a bit bemused but just said "probably lost in post" .. we'll send a duplicate. Again "3-5 working days" .. again nothing. :roll:

So you can imagine my surprise when I met up with my brother yesterday who passed me a brown envelope .. with a Swansea postcode on the rear. :clapping: A new V5C issued on 21st Feb .. (so it still took several weeks .. maybe they meant 3-5 weeks! :roll: )

YES! the A35 is legal and has a V5C. Now to get the address changed .. or do I sorn it first?

One mistake on V5C .. it's down as an A2SJ-HCS .. not an A2S5 ... :|

Club WebEditor.

philipangus

Post by philipangus »

Gary

Progress with DVLA - Well done - I think that's two steps forward and only one back!
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Gary, if it is registered as Historic, then tax is free, so I see little point in sorn. All mine are taxed. :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

David Swain wrote:Gary, if it is registered as Historic, then tax is free, so I see little point in sorn. All mine are taxed. :thumbs:
I don't think it is yet. It just says "Not Licensed". You have to be careful now as any vehicle not on SORN is expected to have insurance. Might have to take paperwork to post office, once I've changed the registered address, but they are fairly useless :whistle:

Club WebEditor.

David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Mine are all taxed and insured, works out about £17 a Month for the lot. :thumbs:
I took the V5's down to the post office the first time to get tax, the Lady had to change one or two to historic I think. It was quite a simple operation, I think that I had to sign something, hand it to the Lady, She then handed it back and the job was done, since then I have been taxing online. All very painless. :D
I think it is well worth having them insured for the price, even though they are not all on the road, I think that the cover also includes my spares collection.
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
colinh

Post by colinh »

Interestingly after a wait of several months the V5C for "Ursula" also turned up the other day.

Still down as PLG - but thats the least of our worries at present. The metal worm is more of a problem.
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

gazza82 wrote:
David Swain wrote:Gary, if it is registered as Historic, then tax is free, so I see little point in sorn. All mine are taxed. :thumbs:
I don't think it is yet. It just says "Not Licensed". You have to be careful now as any vehicle not on SORN is expected to have insurance. Might have to take paperwork to post office, once I've changed the registered address, but they are fairly useless :whistle:
at the moment it will not matter as it is registered 'unlicensed' so you need to do nothing :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

If it was off the road when the 'SORN' system was introduced, there is no requirement to declare SORN... Statutory Off Road Notification was introduced on 31 January 1998... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

It's been off a long time before that!! Thanks all!

Club WebEditor.

Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

This should really be in the restoration section of the forum... I'll have to get in touch with the Webmaster and tell him that.... oh, wait a minute...
Andrew

1957 A35
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

I count collecting parts, planning and that important piece of paper as part of the resto :-)

Club WebEditor.

Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

My failed joke/attempt at irony was that we have a restoration section and this isn't it. The sort of thing a moderator/web master normally sorts out.
Andrew

1957 A35
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

I was well aware ... I have to start somewhere ...
A35Mug.jpg
A35Mug.jpg (315.98 KiB) Viewed 673 times

Club WebEditor.