Back to the 1960,s and a word of Caution

How to upgrade your Austin...and further......
OVY871

Re: Back to the 1960,s and a word of Caution

Post by OVY871 »

I presume if you get a master cylinder suitable for cars with disc brakes it won't be a problem. I think the issue with the original one is just due to being designed for the drum brakes which have the release springs. So if the cylinder is fine a for another car with disc brakes I'm sure it'll be fine for ours.
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
Andrew1961

Post by Andrew1961 »

Finally a reason to go to a Garden Centre......
Attachments
In the bushes....
In the bushes....
WP_20151012_004.jpg (57.71 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

I've bought a Car Builders master cylinder and remote reservoir kit and have been doing a bit of research. Apparently if the master cylinder is lower than the brake actuators which will always be the case for the front brakes of an A30 / A35 (assuming replacement cylinder is mounted in the original position) you need to have a residual pressure valve in the circuit. If it's discs this should be rated at 2lbs and if its drums it should be rated at 10lbs. Both are easily available if you Google them, in fact the 2lb version is available from Car Builders themselves. Of course in our original master cylinder this was built in and is the valve with the spring and cup you put a hole in at the end of the master cylinder. As I have drums all round I'm planning to incorporate the inline valve immediately after the master cylinder. I did ring up Car Builders to double check that there wasn't one built into their master cylinder and they confirmed that there wasn't. Not sure how much difference 2lbs would make on discs but assume it allows the pads to back off just enough and should theoretically mean slightly less pedal travel. If you were running discs front and fully hydraulic Sprite brakes at rear then I think you would need to ideally fit the 2lb one inline to the front brakes and the 10lb one inline to the rear drums. Thoughts / comments from others? :wave: