Disc brake conversion

How to upgrade your Austin...and further......
Big Daddy

Re: Disc brake conversion

Post by Big Daddy »

ian24ian wrote:Big Daddy, I know you can get big discs in 15s, I got 310mm with porsche bembros inside some 15s on a racing ford I had a few years ago
:iagree: With the addition of cooling ducts, 283mm is adequate for the A35. Red Rocket runs 355mm front and 300mm rear discs inside 17" wheels but it's faster and heavier than Evo2. Apparently even larger front discs will fit but caliper clearance becomes desperately tight.

Racing Ford sounds interesting :thumbs: Any chance of some more information :?:
Steveneathey

Re: Disc brake conversion

Post by Steveneathey »

I don't check the forum very often so didn't see the question about 'productionaising' the Micra conversion. All of Dave's points are quite correct and because of the wheel clearance issues, it's not a conversion I would do again anyway. I'm sure there are much smaller calipers that are readily available and would fit inside a standard wheel. I've got some Kia Pride calipers and they are tiny (but they were very prone to sticking when on the Kia, so not much use really!). The Micra discs might be useful on another conversion as fitting them wasn't too difficult, but I will have to find some smaller calipers for the next car. This job however, is lower on my list than sorting out fitting the Lexus six speed gearboxes that I have acquired!

I also have a set of Marina discs that have already been converted to fit A30/35 uprights (came off an A35 van with a Wolseley 1500 engine). They still have the Marina hubs with 3 3/4" PCD studs but I happen to have a pair of 5.5J Cosmic Mk II alloy wheels with the Triumph 3 3/4" PCD, so they are earmarked for 177 CHT which I think I will probably rebuild as a track day car. I've got another pair of 6J Cosmic Mk IIs with 4" PCD for the rear (I'm planning to hack the rear wings on this one to fit the big wheels).

My son Tim's orange A35 'Tango' has 14" wheels so I might try his wheels with the Micra K11 discs, as I can always swap the front suspension between the two cars if necessary. :D

Steve
Steve Neathey
Membership Number A111
South West Group Member
Owner since 1973
Club Member since 1976
1 AS3, 1 A2S4, 1 AS5 and 1 A2S5