Alloy Rads

How to upgrade your Austin...and further......
ian24ian

Alloy Rads

Post by ian24ian »

Having a week off to get on with my van, It did not take long to realise the rad I have has seen better days and either needs re-coring or replacing, after wee a Google, as one does, I was surprised at the price of a recored rad.... I even looked on one of the A35 racecar sites, !!!!!! One of the very well known builders sells alloy rads for an A35, obviously an adaption for another car with weld patches covering the moved hose outlets, My lad, whos interest lays in Jap cars took one look and said Honda CRX, hes not wrong either, They are for sale, NEW for £70 on the dreaded EBay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-C ... nRwIRUtBJA

Now look at this, I think with a bit of fetteling it its the same as the yellow one.

beko

Re: Alloy Rads

Post by beko »

That's a good spot
OVY871

Post by OVY871 »

Was just about to comment saying I've seen this used on an A35 on another forum I use, but looking at the picture again it appears that is you so hello again haha

Another radiator I have seen used is a Hyundai Getz radiator. Apparently the lower two mounting fit and just require a couple of top mountings making.
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
Canon MOWOG

Post by Canon MOWOG »

That's well worth knowing, in fact I wish I'd known that when mine split on first start up !
Metric is for people who can't do fractions
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

These are now £5 cheaper, not that I'm looking you'll understand :whistle:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
exminiman

Post by exminiman »

This is really interesting considering cost of performance rads and better availability of Honda civic rads - even supposed performance rads...

Any one care to guess at increase (assuming an increase) in cooling capacity over standard?

Could base on CC capacity, if all else equal and If Austin is 1 litre and Civic is 1.6 litre - potentially you get apx 60% more cooling capacity over standard.......feel free to trash this very basic calculation :)

Trying to get to what size of a series or state of modification are these rads capable of kerping cool.

Assumption could be...."its aluminium" so it must be better - is it though.

£59 for a racing rad, too good to be true http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Row-Alumini ... Swjk9ZR192
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

ian24ian wrote:One of the very well known builders sells alloy rads for an A35, obviously an adaption for another car with weld patches covering the moved hose outlets.
Looks good :thumbs: But awful shame the electric fan is mounted onto the radiator core - very bad practice IMHO... :whistle:
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

exminiman wrote:Any one care to guess at increase (assuming an increase) in cooling capacity over standard?
Going oversize on cooling capacity (heat rejection) is fine within reason reason because the thermostat takes control. But go too large and the stat will cycle, intermittently throwing large volumes of cold water at the engine (called thermal shock :shock: )

exminiman wrote:£59 for a racing rad, too good to be true
Love from China... :whistle:
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Currently out of stock

Claiming to have them back in a couple of months

Not that I'm interested :whistle:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Totally unnecessary to use an alloy rad on a road going A35, if anyone is thinking of the extra cooling. My turbocharged 1275 engine uses a perfectly standard (reconditioned) rad and never overheats, even in mild competition.

The only reason I can see for using one is cost.

Racing is a different matter.
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Big Daddy wrote: awful shame the electric fan is mounted onto the radiator core - very bad practice IMHO... :whistle:
This is the way Kenlowe design their fans these days. Is it flawed because the rad fins aren't designed to bear weight & vibration, or the heat dissipation into the motor, or some other? Keen to hear.
Chris T.
400,000+ A30 miles in 40 years
Austins <=> sustAin
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Chris T wrote:Is it flawed because the rad fins aren't designed to bear weight & vibration...
Precisely Chris - radiator core is a poor load bearing member. Expose it to any significant vibration, and the aluminium will fail due to fatigue resulting in coolant loss with potential engine overheating. Damaged out-of-balance fan blade could be interesting :shock:

It'a a simple but bodged fan mounting because most customers can't make decent brackets. Certainly cheap but I've never seen it used on an OE installation where low cost is paramount. Surprised Kenlowe and others get away with it... :whistle:
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Ah, thanks BD. I've naively been taken in by this 'progress' over their earlier universal adjustable brackets.
Chris T.
400,000+ A30 miles in 40 years
Austins <=> sustAin
exminiman

Post by exminiman »

Dave Clark wrote:Totally unnecessary to use an alloy rad on a road going A35, if anyone is thinking of the extra cooling. My turbocharged 1275 engine uses a perfectly standard (reconditioned) rad and never overheats, even in mild competition.

The only reason I can see for using one is cost.

Racing is a different matter.
This was my point really , not very well made though...

Its all very well bolting on the most exotic looking bits ( dont we all love to) but without quantifying cooling capacity required it could well be costing money and performance ......i am sure you can have too much cooling - especially on the road. :cheers:
exminiman

Post by exminiman »

Big Daddy wrote:
Chris T wrote:Is it flawed because the rad fins aren't designed to bear weight & vibration...
Precisely Chris - radiator core is a poor load bearing member. Expose it to any significant vibration, and the aluminium will fail due to fatigue resulting in coolant loss with potential engine overheating. Damaged out-of-balance fan blade could be interesting :shock:

It'a a simple but bodged fan mounting because most customers can't make decent brackets. Certainly cheap but I've never seen it used on an OE installation where low cost is paramount. Surprised Kenlowe and others get away with it... :whistle:
Thats a nasty solution, just spotted it in the top picture :iagree: