up rated leaver arms

How to upgrade your Austin...and further......
Jimbo

up rated leaver arms

Post by Jimbo »

Moss sell uprated valves for midget leaver arm dampers do these valves fit A35 leaver arm dampers?
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Re: up rated leaver arms

Post by gazza82 »

Yes. Same shocks at front but iirc there is a difference with rears. Might be arm shape/length but valves may be the same.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Edosan

Post by Edosan »

Do you mean uprated valves or uprated reconditioned shock absorbers, i fitted uprated ones from here (orange ones) http://www.sussexclassiccar.co.uk/shop_ ... /d835.html and they work really well, definitely less bouncy than standard ones. :wave:
roymck

Post by roymck »

Yes I fitted the Moss updated valves ,I also took the opportunity to drain and refill with fresh shock oil also from Moss. They work a treat.
Also in an old tuning book I owned it said that valves from MGB front shocks will fit and update the front shocks as well . Never tried that and never found the need to update the rear shocks .
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

You will need to do something about those lever arm rear shocks when you find enough power :rol: :rol:
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

What if you don't want Orange ones ... they won't match my planned colour scheme .. :rol:

Mr Clark: I will be tapping into your knowledge base when the time comes on the rear shocks ...

I remember when the fronts started to go on 757 .. travelling down the A30 to Hamble with three passengers and she started to wallow then bounce up and down .. touched brakes to bring it back under control .. for a few miles then it started again!! (but with four late teens in the car it was funny more than worrying!! :whistle: ).

Put some very thick rear axle fluid in them if I remember as it was the only thing we could find in the stores at the boatyard we were sailing from. A few weeks later did it again as the valves gave up completely! I think it got a pair of recons eventually :whistle:
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Jim is asking about the rears

Has anyone tried fitting uprated midget valves to these ? :study:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
earthhist

Post by earthhist »

The normal valves are adjustable. Turn the nut to compress the spring a bit more, half a turn to a turn depending on how much you want to "uprate" the damper. They sit under the big bolt-like cover, inside the engine compartment in the case of a front damper. Don't try to do this in situ though, as you will not be able to get all the air out afterwards.

Same principle for rear ones.
Richard Johnston, Plymtree Devon, formerly A30/A35 Club Technical Officer and President
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Robert Prinn, I understand, is either selling or going to sell Midget rear dampers for our cars that have the correct arm fitted.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Motobuild do these.

They bend the original arm and add their own double ended link to connect to the axle.

This mirrors what I did over 20 years ago with a pair of Midget adjustable lever arms only I cut and welded the arms and made my own links.

When I replaced them more recently with adjustable Spax telescopics I sold the lever arms to another club member.
roymck

Post by roymck »

Dave haven't you got tucked away rare adjustable lever arm shocks?
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

See above.

(Do try to keep up Roy ) :rol: :rol:
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Dave Clark wrote:See above.

(Do try to keep up Roy ) :rol: :rol:

He struggles , 55bhp ?
Rest Home for rusty vehicles