Track Day, Sprint or Race ?

How to upgrade your Austin...and further......
OVY871

Re: Track Day, Sprint or Race ?

Post by OVY871 »

If we go on a track which is twisty enough for a standard 948 with handling mods I'll happily come along this time providing the dates work fine. Would like some times so I can compare a before and after, but I don't think I'd drive the engine too hard as I'd also have to drive back.

I've been around Oliver's Mount in Scarborough, if any of you know it you'll know it is a nice narrow track with some tight corners. Great fun indeed, the only downside is how steep the hill is after the first corner. Couldn't get out of second gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6qqWL_6d9k
The Midget infront of me however had a K series and you can see it was much easier for him!

If you want to see the full track check out this video from the same day, an onboard from a much faster Lotus single seater.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgcniHNn_08
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

Ovy, what colour is your car and is it a standard colour?
Andrew

1957 A35
OVY871

Post by OVY871 »

It's currently Spruce Green, it's original colour, although it is aged a bit now so sometimes doesn't look quite the same.
Neal Welch
Car still going strong with thousands of miles being added to the clock.
Click the pic or here to read Ovy's story.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

It seems that there is a lack of appetite for competition among modified A35 enthusiasts, except for a very small number.

I understand it very well, because I am a very recent convert to using my car (or at least A car) on track.

Some thing did come out of our informal meeting in the bar on Saturday. Big Daddy suggested that the club should be active in promoting and maybe getting involved in the academy series in some way. I feel that this is a distinct possibility so I would like the committee to at least consider it, as it might involve some expenditure.

Big Daddy also highlighted the situation which has been in my mind and , I am sure, in the mind of the committee,in that the club has too many older members and not enough new blood for the future of the Club.
Maybe getting involved in this racing series could raise our profile and attract younger members ?.

In the same vein, although I applaud the efforts of the young members group and am very pleased indeed that it has attracted such support,I do wonder if it is a good idea to continue with a separate group rather than incorporating them in the running of the main club, now that they have become involved anyway ?

We need new ideas and ideas that appeal to the younger members so they should, logically, come from them, so can I please hear from them and the committee on these comments ?
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave Clark wrote:It seems that there is a lack of appetite for competition among modified A35 enthusiasts, except for a very small number.
But for those select few who did show appetite, a date for your diary... :thumbs:

Snetterton Sprint - Sunday October 16th
http://www.javelinsprintdays.co.uk/JTSS/

Woodbridge on Sunday September 11th could be of interest as well... :wave:
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave Clark wrote:Big Daddy also highlighted the situation which has been in my mind and , I am sure, in the mind of the committee,in that the club has too many older members and not enough new blood for the future of the Club.
Not quite - members of all ages are valued... :thumbs:

But apparently average age of club members is 61 years. That demographic must be worrying especially over the next 10 years... :whistle:
Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

Problem is, the academy is far too expensive for the majority of people. Those who can afford it will generally be in their 50s and the wife wants them out of the house!

Cheaper (sponsored) club sprints on the other hand...
Andrew

1957 A35
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

How about the club builds it's own A30/35 Owners Club academy racer and we all take turns to drive it. I am sure we could find a suitable mint condition donor car, fit for purpose. :whistle:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

My thinking is, if a bunch of members all turn up to a public sprint day, we'll be noticed and people will come up and talk to us to find out about the cars and, in turn, the club.

With the likes of TMT, Evo2 as the extreme examples, normal modified (Disc brakes, 1275, suspension) and then standard (or nearly standard) it'd give people a range of ideas and show how it is a cheap option to get started with.

With regards to the Young Members club. I'm too old (35) but according to your demographic, I'm too young for the main club. Does that mean I now count as middle aged? wow, that came around quick.

It might be worth a poll asking why us owners own an a35. I imagine the 70+ will be fond memories as their first family car.
55+Their mum/dad/aunt/neighbour drove them to school in one and they have great memories
45+ First cheap car as a teenager and used to bomb around so they have great memories.

35+ Well, I can only answer this one but the reason is pure luck. I had a couple of grand to spend on a car to only do a few miles to work in and saw this within a "10mile radius search on ebay" it looked cute, looked solid when I viewed it in the flesh, I bidded, I won.
It could have been pretty much any car as at the time I had never knowingly seen or heard of an a35. Yes, that's right. I'm sure this will get lost as it's not really that right place to make this point but I'll say it again. "People my age do not know about A35s and have no reason to know. Even if they do see one, the cuteness compared to modern cars will put a lot of men off and the oldness (reliability) will put women off owning one" That's what you have to fight against to get more members in. People need to see it, like it, buy it. Not many would want to do a restoration job so then you'd need to have restored cars readily available. These seem to go for too much money now and you're fighting against BMW minis and fiat 500s (Which will be much more reliable and safer so easier to justify purchasing)

Ovy, how many of your young members bought one just off of their own backs rather than being influenced by their mum/dad/granddad/what was lurking in the garage?

Thanks, Andrew
Andrew

1957 A35
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

David Swain wrote:How about the club builds it's own A30/35 Owners Club academy racer and we all take turns to drive it.
... :rol:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Love the idea of being able to drive an academy car, but the cost, and who maintains and repairs it ?

Who stores it and transports it to the circuits ?

BD, you have shared an aircraft so it is not an entirely silly idea, just a bit impractical.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Dave Clark wrote:Love the idea of being able to drive an academy car, but the cost, and who maintains and repairs it ?
On track days perhaps, but in any competitive environment it would not last very long... :whistle:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

OK, a track day A35 for club use then ?

All the same arguments still apply I,m afraid.
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Some private competition cars are syndicated between two or three keen members to keep costs down (just like gliders). Unfortunately red mist tendencies of the most aggressive partner means the car soon gets bent or blown up... :roll:
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Maybe then it's ... "You break it, you fix it ... " ... :-) and pay!

I do agree we need to increase the younger contingent .. and as I found out today I've got a role in the club now (more later) I'm hoping we can help to rectify that and we promote the younger members section more on the club website/forum and, working with Mark and others, the Owners' Club Facebook page.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)