My 948+ build

How to upgrade your Austin...and further......
Hurtzberg

Re: My 948+ build

Post by Hurtzberg »

Thanks all.

Dave, you mentioned that test to me previously and I tried it out. It made no difference, oddly enough, but increasing the mixture did help.

I tried the richer needle but the carb was definitely too rich then.

I was going to lean the mixture off and also try other needles, however, testing is on hold as my car was making an odd noise on tuesday night. Sounded like the exhaust was blowing so I need to take a look at that and make sure it is nothing more serious.

Thanks again,
Andrew.
Andrew

1957 A35
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

Big Daddy wrote:
Dave Clark wrote:It went fine, as far as I could tell , but I soon discovered that if I was going for an overtake or a fast take off it went a lot better if I pulled the choke out, returning it progressively as the revs came up.
Sounds like transient under-fuelling. Could this be improved by changes to damper spring rate and/or oil viscosity :?:
My experience is that most SU's have thicker oil in the damper than that recommended by the manufacturer...
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Neil Evans wrote:My experience is that most SU's have thicker oil in the damper than that recommended by the manufacturer...
I believe higher viscosity damper oil will enrich transient fuelling (ie during acceleration). Any comments from the SU gurus :?:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

:iagree:
Thicker oil and stronger spring very useful in avoiding transient weakness on my turbo engine.