Exhaust options

How to upgrade your Austin...and further......
Hurtzberg

Exhaust options

Post by Hurtzberg »

Hello,

What are the choices for a better exhaust on an A35?

I've seen the motobuild ones but these seem far too large (Currently using a warmed up 948)

I see some people had trouble with the maniflow ones too.

I know in the performance mini world, people get very excited about the RC40. How does that fit under the A35? Does it need to fit across the body instead of front to back - I imagine it's too long to go straight back unless you run it below the axle which would put it very close to the road.

Also, I see maniflow manifolds for the mini are < £90 but for the A35 are £240

Would cutting /turning/welding this pipe through 90degrees be that hard?

Cheers boys!
Andrew

1957 A35
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Re: Exhaust options

Post by gazza82 »

That's my plan .. I think someone on hear may have done that.

I know the Midget manifolds are the wrong angle as they stick out further so a lot of work to realign them to the manifold plates.

Mr Clark has an RC40 on TMT I believe .. but his exhaust is probably home-made ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

Ah, to have the skills of Mr Clark.
Andrew

1957 A35
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

I know .. I'd like to learn how to MIG weld .. (a) to fix my Alfa and (b) so when I start on the A35 I am not sitting with my head in my hands thinking "if only I could weld ... " ;)

Friend has offered to lend me a TIG welder, but I think they are harder to use than MIG ..

Might start here ...
weldingfordummies.jpg
weldingfordummies.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
beko

Post by beko »

I learnt/practised a lot of welding on Alfasuds in the 70's :whistle:

I modified a Sprite/Midget manifold - it takes a bit of sorting (it is too long and does need bending back against the block and you really need oxyacetylene for that) and I would suggest that the Mini manifold is a better starting point
Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

Gazza the local college (Bracknell) does a welding for classic cars course if you fancy it.

Thanks Beko,good to hear it is do-able
Andrew

1957 A35
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

I shall look into that ... Thanks!

Club WebEditor.

Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

I'm thinking of attending one too so let me know if you find one fairly local that sounds better than this one.

http://www.bracknell.ac.uk/courses/deta ... 009&t=part
Andrew

1957 A35
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

12 weeks and waiting until January wasn't what I really wanted .. but it is an option should I really want to know how to do the job properly ...

6 weeks is better ...

http://www.newbury-college.ac.uk/course ... nners.html

... but I'd really like to just do the two on MIG welding!

Club WebEditor.

Steveneathey

Post by Steveneathey »

The problem with a Mini (or probably any transverse 'A' series) manifold is not only that it needs turning through 90 degrees to point to the rear but also that it is angled outwards from the block. To get it to pass between the sump and the chassis rail on the A30/35 means cutting a 'V' piece out of all three pipes (underneath the top bends, so the pipes can be angled inwards more), bending them in until they pass down through the gap, welding it all up and then adding the 90 degree bend to the bottom.

I've done this a few times and you need the engine in the car with the manifolds off plus a spare head to bolt the manifold onto whilst you cut, bend and weld it. Initially just cut and bend and then try it on the car. When it runs where you want it to, bolt it back onto the spare head and weld it up, but beware of sustained welds as the heat will distort it (even bolted down). If you tack each branch, move to the next pipe and gradually work your way around, you can limit the heat distortion. It's not too bad on a 3 branch, but if you try it on a LCB (two parts) it's even more fun trying to get it all to come together!

Recently I've started using a short section of flexi pipe between the bottom of the manifold and the start of the main run along the car. This allows the system to move without cracking anything and also means you can get away with a small amount of misalignment!

Steve
Steve Neathey
Membership Number A111
South West Group Member
Owner since 1973
Club Member since 1976
1 AS3, 1 A2S4, 1 AS5 and 1 A2S5
Canon MOWOG

Post by Canon MOWOG »

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

Mini Spares have the Maniflow exhaust in stock.
From painful (and expensive) experience, it is far better to buy your Maniflow products from a dealer than direct from the factory.

The MotoBuild manifolds need a LOT of modification to get to fit nicely.
Metric is for people who can't do fractions
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Cannon

I bought my A30 manifold direct from the factory and got a substantial discount and spoke to the gent that made it.

It fitted perfectly :thumbs:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

Minispares is where a lot of my parts are sourced ... Engine especially (for obvious reasons). Plus the have a £5 TMF+ scheme that gices you 7.5% off (via The Mini Forum which Minispares sponsor).

The were also really quick to replace some bearing sheels which were incorrectly labelled and were +20 thou not standard.

Club WebEditor.

gazza82
Site Admin

Post by gazza82 »

Countryboy wrote:Cannon

I bought my A30 manifold direct from the factory and got a substantial discount and spoke to the gent that made it.

fmslittler(?) had lots of problems with their Maniflow exhaust though

Club WebEditor.

Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

gazza82 wrote:
Countryboy wrote:Cannon

fmslittler(?) had lots of problems with their Maniflow exhaust though
Agreed

His was the larger bore system . Mine and Roy's fitted with a little modification
Rest Home for rusty vehicles