my first-mini breakdown!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and say hello.
XVC375

my first-mini breakdown!

Post by XVC375 »

Hello Austineers!

So, the electrics have been sorted, brakes and clutch fettled, new fuel pump added and new tyres all round. Time, then, for XVC375 to go on a proper run. All was going well, and both were enjoying the bends of rural Hertfordshire....

Noticing the fuel gauge was getting erratic I fuelled her up with premium petrol and we continued. After a few stops to see friends, a reasonably steep hill appeared to be too much for the old girl.

Quite suddenly there appeared to be a sudden loss of power. At no time did she stall, but it felt she might if I tried to keep her rolling. No pulling power. I switched her off and, naturally, she refused to start again until I waited until she had cooled down a bit. She then started on the button. Progress was then very poor and we limped home at walking pace. Clearly a fuel issue somewhere.

I have two theories - a touch of fuel vapourisation (though the weather was hardly roasting, the fuel line is rubber and the fuel pump was new) or some muck in the fuel tank blocking the carb needle-things.

Would be interested to hear your views on likely cause!

Regards

Dan
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Re: my first-mini breakdown!

Post by Neil Evans »

Notwithstanding that most fuel problems on our cars are electrical, many a fuel pump has been replaced when the real issue was a blocked or restricted tank filter/gauze... :whistle:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
XVC375

Post by XVC375 »

Thanks Neil.

All sorted now! There was a lot of muck in the carburettor float bowl, so a good clean of this and the carburettor assembly together with blowing compressed air down the fuel line seems to have done the trick.

Incidentally, I used some Redex in the previous filling so I'm wondering if this was too successful in transferring muck from the tank to the carb.....!

I think a good tank clean-out is required!
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Post by Neil Evans »

An inline filter wouldn't go amiss even after the tank is flushed. The best place I've found to position it is where the fuel pipe passes through the raised floor area, under the driver's seat... :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy »

Neil Evans wrote:An inline filter wouldn't go amiss even after the tank is flushed.
:iagree: ... :thumbs: