A35 soon coming to the Isle of Wight

A place for new members to introduce themselves and say hello.
Overner

A35 soon coming to the Isle of Wight

Post by Overner »

Hello all,

I have just bought 116 ETO, a 1959 A35 from a mate in Wokingham, Berks and will collect soon from the North Island to bring it home to the Isle of Wight where we have been living for the last 2 years. Hilary and I retired here and have been spending the last 2 years renovating one of the old Railway Stations on the island.
I was not really looking for an A35, but it came up for sale and it seemed the ideal car to potter around the Island, so the Z3 3.0i is going , for life at a more sedate pace ...

I have been perusing the forum for a few months now, and have a good idea of what I would like to do ..
Having restored and modified a few classics and built a Vincent MPH kit car, I want to do the usual mods like midget disc brakes, half shafts, a/r bar, 3.7 diff, 1098 engine and g/box etc. I would prefer a 1275 but they seem to go for silly money so I found a large main bearing 1098 engine and ribbed gearbox from a midget at a reasonable price with a 12G940 1275 midget head, HIF38 carb and LCB manifold from a mini (to modify).

The idea is to create an 'Austin Healey A35' including badging as it may have appeared if ever made. To this end I have a set of midget/AH rostyle wheels, the later type which I know are not everyones cup of tea, but they are wider than standard, cheap and I think look OK if they are masked and painted properly

So there it is ... I look forwarded to meeting any A30/35 owners on the IoW in the not too distant future ..

Thanks .. Andy
Attachments
Image 2.JPG
Image 2.JPG (48.67 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Image 1.JPG
Image 1.JPG (45.76 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Paulc

Re: A35 soon coming to the Isle of Wight

Post by Paulc »

Welcome Andy, with those mods you'll be around the Isle of Wight in no time.
The 1275 head isn't a straight bolt on job to the small bore engines, although it can be done. I'm sure the technical people on here will guide you. By the by, your front bumper doesn't look 'right'.
David Swain

Post by David Swain »

Looking good Andy,
Welcome to the forum, keep us posted on what you get up to. :thumbs:
David Swain. Member No. A1743
Contact for 'The Suffolk Group'.
Contact Email suffolk@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

A30 van 55 'R.G. Swain', A35 4 Door 59 'Little Gem', A35 2 Door 59 'The Rev' '+1'
Overner

Post by Overner »

Paulc wrote:Welcome Andy, with those mods you'll be around the Isle of Wight in no time.
The 1275 head isn't a straight bolt on job to the small bore engines, although it can be done. I'm sure the technical people on here will guide you. By the by, your front bumper doesn't look 'right'.
Thanks Paul

I have been reading about 'big bore' and 'small bore' blocks and respective bore offsets etc. and the overhang of the exhaust valves on the 12G940 head over the 1098 cylinder walls, but it seems a small relief of the block or, and this is my preference, to sink the exhaust valve into the head by a suitable amount to give at least .320" between the valve face and head face (with the head gasket thickness as insurance), should allow valves to clear.

I had not picked up on the front bumper so will check when I collect the car soon .. Thanks for the heads up 8)
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Welcome from the North Island :thumbs:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
beko

Post by beko »

That's pretty much the same spec as the 2 door I have - it goes nicely. Could be quicker but nice simple bolt on stuff that can easily be reversed if necessary. Good colour too, obviously!
harleybri

Post by harleybri »

Looks real good im sure your have lots of fun in here :thumbs:
...If its not broke dont try and fix it...