hi from Sunny Central Victoria- orstralia

A place for new members to introduce themselves and say hello.
Husky

hi from Sunny Central Victoria- orstralia

Post by Husky »

hi, John here, an austinA30 two door owner since 1984...its been a long term project....

my wife and I saw it at an acquaintance's place on a sunday arvo drinks session sitting in long grass, headlight missing and wifey said "its so cute..see if its for sale??" so I question ol mate and he says (is a lawyer) "got it as a divorce settlement payment..i use it for parts for my sprite..yours for 200 bucks" it was.

needed a headlight no probs, rear axle was broken ..divorce hubby apparently let all the ponies out under the bonnet and dropped the clutch! had a dicky gbox but a spare good one in the boot... wife was part owner of a transport co and the team in the shed gave it a lick of BR green with cream wheels..in1998...upholstery fixed in 2005...regoed and on road in 2008...daily driven for a few years now on club plates.

Always lots of drama with the manifold header pipe leaking so decided to fix it with a nice new set of shiny chrome sprite extractors....this idea has resulted in an engine out...clean and paint, new gaskets etc to "reduce" oil leaks..local expert British Sporting Cars did a late model front seal and an oil filter conversion fitting job on it so I just need to paint the inside of the engine bay... see post in discussion
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Re: hi from Sunny Central Victoria- orstralia

Post by gazza82 »

Welcome! There are few A30 & A35 owners 'down-under' so check the Oversea Groups pages on the club website too. May help you source some parts.

That Sprite exhaust might be a pain to fit if it is a full manifold which drops down side if engine and back. The Spridgets had a hole in the chassis where the exhaust went through. The A30 doesn't so the exhaust will hit the engine bay unless 'tweaked' ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Husky

Post by Husky »

Great, another issue my "Man" forget to tell me about...just like the stock inlet manifold no longer fits..."oh yeah..you'll need a twin carb set up" Hmm...
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Well you came to the right place!

Twin carbs will be too much for a little 803cc engine. A single 1 1/4" SU will be ok. From a Mini with inlet manifold.

A stock Mini exhaust manifold might be better too ...
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
Husky

Post by Husky »

cheers for that...I will look for one of those...