Hello from Atlanta, Georgia, USA!

A place for new members to introduce themselves and say hello.
bluekinabalu

Hello from Atlanta, Georgia, USA!

Post by bluekinabalu »

Greeting from the other side of the pond. My name is Dean Meyer and I just purchased my first A35. Let me add that I have only ever seen two in my life and this one is the second. I am originally from Canada and have been living in the US since 1999. I started out when I was 15 with an Austin Healey Sprite MKIII. The car had no engine so this is how I cut my teeth working on British cars. I still own that car 43 years later. I have had all kinds of other cars including Land Rovers, Lotus, Minis, Jags, Healeys big and small and numerous Midgets. My mother had a 1962 Hillman Minx and this was the car I learned to drive in.

But A35's in Canada and the US are rarer than hens teeth as they were never imported as far as I know. So when I saw this car that had just been restored by a father and son in their garage I just had to have it. With my wife's endorsement this car now sits proudly in our garage underneath the Sprite perched on the lift above. I think the previous owners did a fantastic job. A few things I will tackle to make this car my own is swap out the brakes for Spridget front disc brakes and also swap out the mechanical rear brakes for Spridget hydraulic drum brakes. Also I will try to fit a set of three point seat belts for the front seats.

Looking forward to tips and tales from the A35 club as I embark on this new journey.

Cheers,

Dean Meyer
Attachments
A35 rear.jpg
A35 rear.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
A35 interior.jpg
A35 interior.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
A35 front.jpg
A35 front.jpg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
A35 engine.jpg
A35 engine.jpg (69.09 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
1958 Austin A35 two door Saloon. "Milo".
1967 Austin Healey Sprite MKIII. Swiftune 1380. "The Big Block".
2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE. "The Parts Getter".
2012 Jaguar XF. "The Grocery Getter".
2001 Triumph Bonneville. "The Bonnie".
Neil Evans
Committee Role: Technical Officer

Re: Hello from Atlanta, Georgia, USA!

Post by Neil Evans »

bluekinabalu wrote:
But A35's in Canada and the US are rarer than hens teeth as they were never imported as far as I know.
Welcome to the forum... :wave:

The A35 was definitely exported to Canada, though in what numbers is currently unknown. However, it's well known that five pick ups were despatched to Montreal in primer...

There are a handful of cars known to exist in the USA, some of which are recent imports and I can think of at least three members of the forum from across the pond. Member Austinpowerless, probably the most regular poster, will have more of an idea as he runs a register of known Austin 'orphans' in North America.. :thumbs:
Club Technical Information Officer
A30/A35 Club Member A191 (since 1972)

Father of the club's only love child
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

We have an overseas member with a USA supplied A35 so some made it there albeit in tiny numbers.
Hurtzberg

Post by Hurtzberg »

Car looks great! Welcome to the club.
Andrew

1957 A35
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Sweet car Dean

Welcome aboard sir :thumbs:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
bluekinabalu

Post by bluekinabalu »

Neil, good to know they were imported to Canada. I knew someone on the forum would know. Must not of been many brought over as I never saw one in the 40 years I lived in Canada. Saw the odd Rover P5, the occasional Envoy (Vauxhall) Epic and Viva, a smattering of Austin Marina's, a few Austin America's (1100) and Austin 1800's, and of course a couple of Alpines and Tigers.

This is the first right hooker I have owned other than a Mini Moke I owned while in Australia for six months.

Oh, and we have come up with a suitable name. It's Milo. A nod to the father of the father/son team that restored the car and kindly sold it to us as the new caretakers.

From the BMIHT certificate it looks like the car was sold to Car Mart (Welsh Harp Limited) and was delivered in Island Blue with Blue Twill trim.

Does anyone know any history on the UK reg plate - AEG 39A? I don't know if that would have been the reg since new or possibly later. I know the UK reg plates can offer up some interesting history unlike over here.

regards,

Dean.
1958 Austin A35 two door Saloon. "Milo".
1967 Austin Healey Sprite MKIII. Swiftune 1380. "The Big Block".
2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE. "The Parts Getter".
2012 Jaguar XF. "The Grocery Getter".
2001 Triumph Bonneville. "The Bonnie".
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Your registration is a number for 1963 and is therefore an issue in replacement for the original which I guess was either lost or sold.Makes it a little more difficult to trace the history of the car.

Nowadays in similar circumstances the issuing authority gives out "age related" numbers which are more appropriate, usually un-issued numbers from the Fifties.
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

Dean, doesn't the BMIHT certificate have the original number plate?
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Paulc wrote:Dean, doesn't the BMIHT certificate have the original number plate?
BMIHT records are factory records, the only thing the archive show is the dealer/distributor it was sent to, the dealer/distributor registered the vehicle with their local taxation office
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)