Hello

A place for new members to introduce themselves and say hello.
Bigdaz

Hello

Post by Bigdaz »

Hello I'm darren, I'm in to fords really and drive a mk2 Granada, but a family member has a 1959 a35 which I've grown fond of and I'm Hoping to buy, I did advertise it on face book but I'm thinking I might like to restore it, if you saw the car you might think I've been sniffing glue as its been sat out side for about 15 years untouched,I've not done any welding before so will be a learning curve I'm sure, so fingers crossed I get to purchase the car and save it,
Countryboy

Re: Hello

Post by Countryboy »

Welcome Darren
Not of Fb so haven't seen your challenge! Please post some pictures on here. You will find Austin owners have a variety of other cars and many, like me have old Ford or two :thumbs:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

I'm at the rewind festival in Henley so I'll post photos when I get home, the granny is an 82 2.8gl so not the normal ghia or ghia x which I love and use every day, I do have a soft spot for the a35 tho it's a pretty little car
And if it can be saved it will be and used that's half the pleasure for me, I don't like new cars,
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Darren
We have seen worse on here sir ! What you need is dedication plus a dry garage and a mig welder :thumbs:

Where in the world are you based :?:
Rest Home for rusty vehicles
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

I need to get the car brought first lol, dedication and getting a welder is no problem the garage will be tho but where there's a will there's a way,
A40FARINAGURU
Committee Role: A35 Registrar

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Countryboy wrote:Darren
We have seen worse on here sir !
Cheeky! :whistle:
Nick Bayliss

Club's A35 (Saloon) Registrar, South Midlands Area Contact

Email, a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

Connected with A30/A35's for 63 years

A30/A35 Member A1372 (since 1981)
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

Car now not for sale, it's a real shame as its in s lot better condition then it looks and I believe it's been in the same part of Oxford it's whole life, and well worth saving hopefully the owner will change his mind,
A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

Bigdaz wrote:Car now not for sale, it's a real shame as its in s lot better condition then it looks and I believe it's been in the same part of Oxford it's whole life, and well worth saving hopefully the owner will change his mind,
never mind, there are plenty more out there, that one was a re-reg, original number was sold for a guess
Nick Bayliss

Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

I think the family that had it from new kept the original reg, I know of another and a wolseley 1500 so I'll make enquirys about them, There's one on eBay that looks interesting to
gazza82
Site Admin
Committee Role: WebEditor

Post by gazza82 »

Look under FreeAds on here and the Club Website too .. you can also put up a Wanted ad!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Club WebEditor.

Cars: "Project 757" '59 A35 2-door bought in 1971 & Subaru BRZ SE LUX Auto plus "family fleet": Alfa MiTo, Peugeot 206, (Ex '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TS)
AlecF

Post by AlecF »

A good first step would be to find a dry, airy spot for the car, open the windows and take up the carpets. Also ask at your local library whether there are any Adult Education classes in welding, as they usually start this month. Many years ago I went on one of these, bought a MIG and made a very reasonable job of restoring an Austin 7 van.
1956 A30 VDK407, now up and running thanks to many members.
Bigdaz

Post by Bigdaz »

I thought I'd leave it a week or two then ask again, there have been some sell on eBay for silly money people are rapping there original reg's now they don't need an mot, I've put an add in the free adds you never know
What might pop up, I knocked on the door about the wolseley 1500 sorry not for sale, been sat on the drive 5 years such a shame, I left a note on the other one but I'm sure I'm going to get the same response, I also found a 1972 Volvo 164e pretty tidy but not moved in two years I was told, thought get it on the road and sold and have a bit more money in the pot. Left a note on that one to, also found a 1800tc marina coupe been laid up
About 10 years in the dry so not rotten, he's going to think about it but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a no,
Also been told about an Austin Westminster or Cambridge the person who told me wasn't sure, so going to look for that to been in a garage for years since the owners grandad passed away so I was told, I'd save them all if I could,
See amazing what you can find just driving around back roads,

A40FARINAGURU

Post by A40FARINAGURU »

AlecF wrote:bought a MIG and made a very reasonable job of restoring an Austin 7 van.
that would be the original? & not 'our' type A30 Seven van (AV4) :thumbs:
Nick Bayliss

AlecF

Post by AlecF »

Nick: yes, the old Ruby model. Transverse leaf spring suspension up front, lots of tin, lots of tinworm. Lovely to work on though, so easy to remove the engine too: removed the rad, slid it along its chassis rails straight on to a stand.
1956 A30 VDK407, now up and running thanks to many members.