A40 Front Upgrade

Technical questions and Maintenance advice post in here please
Nikki&Austin

A40 Front Upgrade

Post by Nikki&Austin »

Snoopy failed the MoT (as expected) as there is a significance veer to the left on braking, we have tried to adjust, but it reduced but didn't cure the issue.

We have read the various forum posts regarding MM v's A40 8" front drum upgrades.

As neither hubby nor I are engineers, the MM option seems to be out, as there needs to be fabrication involved.

Further, the dealer who sold us the car has offered us what they say is an 8" set "drums, shoes, adjusters, backplates etc"

I have asked for some pictures to see exactly what is there and what else we might need to buy.

First question, is this indeed a single swap, i.e., parts not engineering ?

Second question, how would we tell if these are A40 rather than MM or other - is there anything obvious to identify ?

Thank you

Nikki
Dave Clark

Re: A40 Front Upgrade

Post by Dave Clark »

It is all straight bolt on stuff, just make sure that you have everything like the adjusters and the link pipe etc.

The M1000 backplate has a small centre hole and the A40 one much larger hole the same as the A35
Bill

Re: A40 Front Upgrade

Post by Bill »

Dave Clark wrote:It is all straight bolt on stuff, just make sure that you have everything like the adjusters and the link pipe etc.

The M1000 backplate has a small centre hole and the A40 one much larger hole the same as the A35

The link pipes fit from the 7" back plates. No need to replace them if useable. I have a couple of spare ones (new, straight ) if anyone needs them, having bought them not realising the A35 ones would fit.